View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject: KnoppMyth to CF card
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:13 am 
I searched the wiki and forums and could not find anything about installing KnoppMyth to CF (of course I probably just missed it somewhere).

I would like to install KnoppMyth to a 1 Gig CF card and use the "extra" space on the card for holding configuration information (default themes, etc).

Once I get the CF installation working are there scripts for updating?

Once the system is installed on to the (normally RO) CF, how would I go about changing files that are in the CF (e.g. new web browser, etc). Can I just change the fstab to mount the CF as RW and reboot?

I am not too sure if that would work as I believe that everything is run out of RAM (unionFS) once the CF has booted... right?

Anyway, I am hoping that there is already a set of scripts for doing what I want. I know a lot of people just do an "over the network" boot, but my front ends in my kids rooms double as their "desktop" computers (OpenOffice, Firefox, Thunderbird, etc).

TIA,
TJ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:50 am 
You might look for the USB stick install that was posted here or on the wiki within the last month or two. You might be able to adapt that to work with your CF.

If you get the CF working, post details please as I might be interested in the near future.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 11:22 am 
Well, I see a lot of people reading my post and only one reply... Hmmmm.

OK, so here's my next step. I have remastered knoppix a couple times and after the first time, it's not too painful, so...

I am going to take a closer look at KnoppMyth to see just how closely it resembles the original Knoppix. In particular, does it still contain the ability (cheat code) to have a persistent home directory and save config information.

If it does, then I will just do a "standard" CF install of KnoppMyth and configure the home and config directories.

If it does not, I will add those features back into a remastered version and then have what I need.

In either case I will post the CF installation instructions on my Ultimate MythTv blog for anyone interested.

I will try to get to this by the weekend so that I can report back here how everything turns out - for those interested. I will also post my boot times.

One other reason for booting from CF instead of over the network is that I have three front ends that are wireless and I need the USB wireless driver installed before I can see the network. So, I'll post the differences (if any) between wired and wireless startup times for those interested as well.

-TJ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 11:24 am 
Hi,
A 1 gig cf won't hold an installed KM system. I find about 2.5 gig is a normal install before I add stuff. It would hold the iso.

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 11:34 am 
I was thinking the OP wanted to run a FE off a boot disk type scenario. After re-reading, I'm not sure...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:07 pm 
Yes, this is just a FE.

Actually, running KnoppMyth from the CD with 1 Gig of RAM seems to work pretty well, so I was thinking I would put the compressed image on to the CF (which would use around 700 Meg) and use the remaining space for persistence. I have done this with Knoppix and it works quite well.

On the other hand, if I increased my CF to 4 Gig (38.00 USD at newegg), I could run the system uncompressed. I wonder what the speed difference would be?

OK, now you've gone and done it!!! After I get the system working with a compressed image on the 1 Gig CF I am going to try it on a bigger one. I'll steal my wife's 8 Gig CF from her camera to experiment with... Shhhh!