View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject: Cannot get it right.
PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 12:47 pm 
I have been all over these boards searching for answers. I am almost ready to give up and go windows based. I have now installed KnoppMyth several times. It seems to install properly using the auto install. I can configure and receive data from Zap2it and view it under the program guide. That is were everything stops.

I cannot view TV. I cannot listen to music. I cannot open mythweather.

I have the tv card configured for standard/default setting. TV opens to a green screen or a strange multi-colored static screen; no picture. I have tried all of the settings on the tuner card in MythTV. Mythweather hangs indefinately when attempting to open. CDs run and recieve title information, but there is no sound.

I have a Dell Dimension 8300 P4 2.6, 512, ATI Radeon 9800 Pro, ATI TV Wonder Pro, SoundBlaster Live.

Please help. I want to make this work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 12:55 pm 
well let's see as for the green screen that is usually one of two problems either you have the wrong tuner option in bttv, or you have it set for the wrong ntsc/pal setting.

As for the mythweather locking up there have been many network related problems with R4V4 series. hopefully it will all be worked out for the R5 release.

You may want to try R4V2 and update the deb's. The kernel in R4v2 didn't seem to have as many problems.

If you are trying to do tvout and don't want to get rid of the ATI video card you may just want to go with a windows solution. There's not much we can do about the state of affairs in this area as ATI is unwilling to work with open source developers and the binary drivers they release are crap.

Xsecrets

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 1:36 pm 
Thanks for the quick response. How do I configure bttv? Also, what about the sound issues? I am fairly new to Linux, but I am definately learning fast.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 4:44 pm 
how you configure bttv will depend on your tvcard. I'm not sure what the settings are for the ati card, probably the easies way to find that out is goole.

I am not aware of any sound issues with the soundblaster live cards.

edit -- wait I see you have a dell. certain dell boards say soundblaster live, but aren't really, and as far as I know there are no free working linux drivers for those boards.

Xsecrets

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 7:23 pm 
Try pulling out the sound blaster card. I almost gave up with similar issues. The DELL OEM SB Live cards have chipsets that are not supported by alsa.

try pulling the card, enable the onboard sound within the bios and reinstall

http://mysettopbox.tv/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1507

Post subject: Sound Cards...
PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 7:30 pm 
Great idea, but the Dimension 8300 does not have onboard sound. Looks like a windows solution is in the cards.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 9:26 pm 
well I love mythtv and knoppmyth, but if you are committed to that hardware I would say a windows solution is your best bet.

Xsecrets

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 9:30 pm 
you can try a new SB card....non-Dell oem. I bet you can a good deal on ebay .. under $20