View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject: SCSI disk installation
PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 9:56 am 
Hi

Can knoppmyth be installed onto SCSI disks?

I was testing the R5.5 install on old server hardware (before I build a new PC for MythTV) that has an IDE CD and SCSI hard disks setup as hardware raid 5.

So the CD I think is /dev/hda

The first partition on the SCSI disk is
/dev/ida/c0d0p1

The installer had an error when running the disk partition option:
"Fatal dialog error
Expected at least 7 tokens for --radiolist, have 4"

So I changed to another screen and created 4 partitions, as recommended in the install notes, for these /, swap, /cache, /myth.

Now the installer recognises the partitions and asks which partition I want to install to, so I highlight the first one and select Next.

Now the installer fails to format the drive. I tried copying the knoppmyth config to /ramdisk/ and editing to have "no" in the format drive section. Then I created the filesystem with the same command as in the notes for /myth
mke2fs -j -O sparse_super -m0 -i8000000 -L / -M / /dev/ida/c0d0p1
(I don't know if this is the correct way to do this, let me know if there is a better command syntax to use.)

Now the installer fails to mount the drive. It flashes some black and white text on the screen, then goes back to the installer background with a mount error with no information.

So is it possible to modify the installation to use SCSI disk?
Should I just get my PC built with a SATA disk and try again? I will have to purchase some hardware, but this will be the hardware I will actually end up using anyway.

Thanks for any help
Brent
Christchurch
New Zealand

Post subject: Format disk
PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 10:18 am 
Hi

I just found this post:
http://knoppmyth.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2620

That said to press the space bar to select the partition to install into. It is now formatting. Hopefully this is the fix.

I didn't know what to do to select the drive that was highlighted. I thought it must just use the highlighted one. :-)

Text from other post:
I.E. Highlight the drive, press space, then enter.

That should select the drive:

(X) Some drive
( ) Some other drive

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 11:40 am 
If you haven't found the R5.5 Hints you should definitely read them before going too much further. The release hints try to cover most of the common ways to trip up during an install/upgrade and either tell you how to avoid them or how to recover. For example, this specific issue is covered under, "Hints for Upgrading or Installing", "Phase 1", item #2, but there is much, much more there.

Reading the hints does take time, but it will pay off in a much smoother install, and while I can't claim scientifically that every minute you spend reading them will save you five of tearing your hair out in large clumps, that'd be my lower bound estimate. ;-)