View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 4:52 am 
Basically, I'm building a new machine that will have an onboard ICH9R controller that I'm planning to use to drive a pair of SATA2 HDDs in a RAID1 array. I have setup KM numerous times on single IDE and SATA HDDs, but never on a RAID. Can anyone comment on this setup? Will the R5.5 installer simply see the RAID1 array and treat it like any other SATA HDD?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 6:42 am 
If I remember my raid-ology correctly, raid 1 is a duplexed array, where all disks carry the same data. I dunno why you'd do that. Seems like a waste of good disk space to me! I would not recommend raid 0 (striped) either. It doubles the chance of losing all your data as it tanks the array if one drive fails.

I'm not a big fan of raid anymore.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 6:52 am 
Liv2Cod wrote:
If I remember my raid-ology correctly, raid 1 is a duplexed array, where all disks carry the same data. I dunno why you'd do that. Seems like a waste of good disk space to me! I would not recommend raid 0 (striped) either. It doubles the chance of losing all your data as it tanks the array if one drive fails.

I'm not a big fan of raid anymore.

I agree with you regarding raid0 unless you don't care about the data (i.e. it is easily replaced) and when you are only concerned about high I/O bandwidth.

You are correct, raid1 = mirrored and yes it could be considered a waste of space by some. Raid1 is chosen to protect the data HDD from a disc failure.

I'm just wondering if anyone has installed KM on a RAID array and if so, did the installer see the array as a disc and work out-of-the-box?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 7:31 am 
graysky wrote:
Will the R5.5 installer simply see the RAID1 array and treat it like any other SATA HDD?
If it is true hardware RAID and the appropriate Linux drivers exist, the RAID should be transparent to the OS. Be aware, however, that most onboard chipsets are referred to as "fakeraid" (Google "Linux fakeraid" to learn more).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:21 pm 
Thanks for that bit, slowtolearn. I just figured out that the Intel "on board" RAID controllers (including the IHC9R) is a software raid in that the CPU has to feed it; it is NOT a standalone product like those from 3ware for example.

So the next obvious question is KM support for such a thing. Can anyone comment?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:19 pm 
Site Admin
Support what exactly? If I recall correctly, some RAID drivers are built into the kernel. Others maybe modules. There is no direct support in the installer for RAID.