Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:56 pm 
Hi,
I'm trying to install KnoppMyth on a
Pentium III 533 Mhz
256 MB RAM
10 GB IDE Harddrive
At the moment the Hard Drive has got Windows 2000 installed but I'm trying to install Knoppmyth over it. This should format the hard drive automatically. Right?
The BIOS successfully boots from the CD, I press Enter and the screen goes black and the computer freezes.
When I type in debug or failsafe, I get the messages at the end of the screen:
Code:
Code: Bad EIP value.
EIP: [<00000000>] _stext=03xfeff000/0x20 SS:ESP 0068:c13c3cf8
Kernel panic - not syncing: Fatal exception in interrupt

I'm a complete beginner in Linux and do not know anything about. I'm very familiar with Windows, Windows Server, PHP, MySQL, HTML, some CSS, Javascript and know the basics of PC Hardware, but I do not know anything about Linux so could you please give detailed solutions.

Thanks in advance,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:29 pm 
If you haven't already, you should start by checking the integrity of the CD.

Check the MD5 checksum of the image you downloaded and burned the CD from (there's free MD5 software you can download for Windows if you poke around).

You should also use the testcd option at the prompt that you're getting and see what happens.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:43 pm 
Thanks for your post. I have checked the md5 checksum of the ISO image I downloaded.
(e58bebb074c8287d3f3d8bf61cc0413f *KnoppMythR5.5.iso)
So the image seems to be fine.
I have reburned the KnoppMyth onto another CD, this time with the slowest available speed. (16x)
I have tried the option "knoppmyth testcd" which got me a black screen.
Then I tried "debug testcd" which got me to the message:
Quote:
EIP: [<c0181a9>] kmem_cache_create+0x99/0x440 SS:ESP 0068:cfec3f34
Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init!

What shall I do now?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 4:55 pm 
Don't know if this is your case, but I have installed Knopp-Myth on a number of older Computers of that vintage or newer (ebay specials.....).

I have found that those old CD drives may seem to play music, but they get very spotty at getting data exactly 100% right. I replaced them with modern (inexpensive) CD players and the disc read problems went away.

The same can be said about burning CDs... Old CD burners seem to have a weaker laser and make unusable mistakes on data disks, particularly on some CD brands that are harder to burn than others.... New burners have stronger lasers and get better results.

So while it may not be a popular answer, doing the burn & read with old equipment ya have may not be the way to go....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 5:02 pm 
Well, the cd drive that is reading the Linux CD is at least 10 years old.
The DVD drive I burned the CD with is about 1 1/2 years old.
So you think I should get a new drive for the Linux Computer?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:24 pm 
Site Admin
I'd try booting w/ 'knoppmyth noapic'.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:38 am 
I just get a black screen with that.
Edit:
Kernel panic - not syncing: Fatal exception in interrupt
Edit2:
I took one RAM Module(64 MB) out, typed in: 'knoppmyth noapic' and the CD seems to boot fine now. (The RAM was the problem. :?)
Now I'm testing the CD for good burn.
Edit3:
OK, after Installation I reinserted the RAM Module I took out before and the system didn't want to start (Kernel panic...), so I switched the RAM Modules around and the system booted.
I haven't got a TV card in that computer, because I just wanted to experiment around with MythTV for a little to see what it can do.
OK, which cheap TV card do you think I should get?
Would Pentium III 533 Mhz, 256 MB RAM be enough to watch LiveTV?
Does MythTV support Freesat(Astra,Hotbird,...)?
Thanks in advance,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:37 pm 
Hi,

You have close to the low end for a drive size however it will work and work fine. Tv playout could be a little rough with any card except the Hauppauge 350. It has a hardware decoder which off loads work from the cpu.

I would use gparted (live cd) to partition the drive and format hda1 & hda3 to ext3 with hda2 as swap. Do an auto upgrade verses auto or manual install. It only takes a couple of simple tweaks later and you have a normal system. Reason for this method is because of space in hda3 (myth partition) as even though you would have ~5gig storage space, there would only be a few inodes to mark those files. Rip a couple of music cd's and it would be full with the normal auto install. If KM works out for you, add a second larger hd for normal storage.

I would suggest the R5F27, may not have all the bells and whistles but works very well with "older" stuff. I have a Dell GX1 400mhz that it runs nicely on.

Returning to your issue, it sounds like it may be the jumper on the hard drive not being set to master, cabling for the cd not being on the second ide port as master. It looks for certain conditions at boot time.

If you have a spare cd rom available, hang it off the side and try to use it for install, you only need it once :). There is a possibility that it may have trouble reading the cd. Even different cd flavors (or colors) can make a difference.

The "normalizing" tweaks are simple, once installed and ready, let me know for the detail steps.

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:25 am 
mjl wrote:
Hi,

You have close to the low end for a drive size however it will work and work fine. Tv playout could be a little rough with any card except the Hauppauge 350. It has a hardware decoder which off loads work from the cpu.

I would use gparted (live cd) to partition the drive and format hda1 & hda3 to ext3 with hda2 as swap. Do an auto upgrade verses auto or manual install. It only takes a couple of simple tweaks later and you have a normal system. Reason for this method is because of space in hda3 (myth partition) as even though you would have ~5gig storage space, there would only be a few inodes to mark those files. Rip a couple of music cd's and it would be full with the normal auto install. If KM works out for you, add a second larger hd for normal storage.

I would suggest the R5F27, may not have all the bells and whistles but works very well with "older" stuff. I have a Dell GX1 400mhz that it runs nicely on.

Returning to your issue, it sounds like it may be the jumper on the hard drive not being set to master, cabling for the cd not being on the second ide port as master. It looks for certain conditions at boot time.

If you have a spare cd rom available, hang it off the side and try to use it for install, you only need it once :). There is a possibility that it may have trouble reading the cd. Even different cd flavors (or colors) can make a difference.

The "normalizing" tweaks are simple, once installed and ready, let me know for the detail steps.

Mike

Thanks for your post. I already thought about getting a new hard drive. I will also try to get the Hauppauge 350. But will I be able to watch Free Sat(Astra,Hotbird,...)?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:04 pm 
Hi,
Quote:
But will I be able to watch Free Sat(Astra,Hotbird,...)?
I have no idea what they are and am to lazy to look them up. If you can get composite video or a modulated channel 3~4 then the tuner card should work.

For testing, playing & learning, the 10gig will get you started. The tweak to make it a normal system is as root to simply mount hda3 (probably /mnt/hda3 or /media/hda3) then
cp -a /myth/* /media/hda3/
Then add the hda3 to the /etc/fstab as /dev/hda3 /myth ext3 auto,users,exec 0 0
followed with a mount /myth

From then all your media is stored on the hda3 (myth) partition. It will only hold ~ 2 hours of tv but if you partitioned and formated with gparted, it will hold hundreds of those jpg's of the family and trips. :)

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:06 am 
For Astra/Hotbird (European Satellites), you probably want to use a DVB-S card to get the digital channels. You can get DVB-S cards off ebay for about 20Euro. Just make sure you get one that is linux compatible (google it). I have a Technotrend Budget S-1500 that works fine. It won't capture any of the free HD channels, but I can live without that for now.

I use Astra19.2 . When scanning for channels, the channels.conf in /usr/share/doc/dvb-utils/examples was a bit out of date, but it found the transponders. Basically, I did a scan with the channels.conf, deleted all the channels it found, then did a scan using existing transponders and it found everything.

One other thing.... Don't forget to add the LNB when you add the card in the setup.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 7:17 am 
Hi,
I suspect the system would only allow recording digital but 533 mhz will not be able to play it out. I don't know if the 350 card does pal for a standard def. I would use it for everything except tv and videos.

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:37 am 
The DVB is mpeg-2 (like a PVR-250) and in theory should be playable on a PVR-350. However, from what I've heard, getting PVR350 to play DVB sourced content can be a bit of a hit-and-mess exercise. Things may have improved since I last looked.

To be honest, I wouldn't recommend putting money down on a PVR350. Try knoppmyth out on what you have and if you like it, the investment might better go towards putting together something that can handle the load a bit better. My 5 year old hardware still works fine for SD. There is a lot of cheap 5 year old HW out there on ebay. Half the fun is building it. Just check that what you choose works with linux.

Allen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 4:36 pm 
Thanks for your posts,
mjl wrote:
Hi,
Quote:
But will I be able to watch Free Sat(Astra,Hotbird,...)?
I have no idea what they are and am to lazy to look them up. If you can get composite video or a modulated channel 3~4 then the tuner card should work.

For testing, playing & learning, the 10gig will get you started. The tweak to make it a normal system is as root to simply mount hda3 (probably /mnt/hda3 or /media/hda3) then
cp -a /myth/* /media/hda3/
Then add the hda3 to the /etc/fstab as /dev/hda3 /myth ext3 auto,users,exec 0 0
followed with a mount /myth

From then all your media is stored on the hda3 (myth) partition. It will only hold ~ 2 hours of tv but if you partitioned and formated with gparted, it will hold hundreds of those jpg's of the family and trips. :)

Mike

Thanks Mike, I'll try those tweaks soon. :D
Quote:
For Astra/Hotbird (European Satellites), you probably want to use a DVB-S card to get the digital channels. You can get DVB-S cards off ebay for about 20Euro. Just make sure you get one that is linux compatible (google it). I have a Technotrend Budget S-1500 that works fine. It won't capture any of the free HD channels, but I can live without that for now.

I use Astra19.2 . When scanning for channels, the channels.conf in /usr/share/doc/dvb-utils/examples was a bit out of date, but it found the transponders. Basically, I did a scan with the channels.conf, deleted all the channels it found, then did a scan using existing transponders and it found everything.

One other thing.... Don't forget to add the LNB when you add the card in the setup.

Thanks for the info, but is that card good or will I have a lot of pressure on my Pentium III 533 Mhz, 256 MB SDRAM?
Does the Hauppauge support DVB-S?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:37 am 
TheEnquirer wrote:
Thanks for the info, but is that card good or will I have a lot of pressure on my Pentium III 533 Mhz, 256 MB SDRAM?
Does the Hauppauge support DVB-S?
Digital satellite is already mpeg2 encoded, so there is almost no CPU load (no encoding) when capturing. The stream goes straight to disk. There is very little difference between different DVB cards on CPU requirements.

It would be sluggish, but you would likely be able to record with this system, view EPG programming data, select programs to record, play music, etc. However, you probably would not be able to play back video recordings satisfactorily. A PVR-350 might play back the video, but the 100Euro it would cost would go a long ways towards a bare bones low-end PC that would be more than sufficient to handle SD without it.

You might want to take a look at http://www.knoppmythwiki.org/index.php? ... Components

Hauppage does have cards that support DVB-S. The PVR-250/350 do not though.

Go to page 1, 2  Next