View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject: R6 issues & resolutions
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 1:19 am 
Here is a list of issues that I generated when installing/configuring R6 LinHES and the solutions that worked for me as well as some that I have been unable to fix yet.

ATI Remote Wonder II does not work with lirc consistently
-needed to remove the kernel module by renaming ati_remote2.ko to ati_remote2.ko.bak
-copied /etc.old/lircd.conf to /etc/lirc/lircd.conf
-copied /etc.old/lircmd.conf to /etc/lirc/lircmd.conf
still haven't got the lirc mouse daemon to work yet but I haven't really spent any time on it.

Cannot mount samba share with autofs as per wiki instructions.
How do you install autofs? where should the config files go?

-auto.master is now under /etc/autofs/auto.master
-auto.cifs.cfg.mnt had to go in /etc/autofs/

I have installed autofs with pacman but I don't know how to get the daemon running I tried adding it to the daemons in /etc/rc.conf but it still does not run at boot. I can manually get it to start using /etc/rc.d/autofs start

No podget in the repositories?
-manually installed podget by downloading directly and compiling and make install

Ladspa volume leveler does not seem to work with mythfrontends internal player anymore and if it does work I don't have any volume controls i.e. mixer issues.
-had to move /etc/asound.conf to /home/mythtv/.asoundrc
-needed to blacklist snd_pcsp in /etc/rc.conf under modules

Also for some reason it wants to use my pc speaker as the default alsa device. I don't know how to set up my SB Live to be the default device.
-blacklisted snd_pcsp module, I don't know how to make the pcsp appear as device 2 but it doesn't really matter since I don't really need to play audio through the PC speaker.

ACPI wakeup seems to not function any longer. Mythwelcome will shutdown the computer just fine but I think the script that sets the wake time on the mother board is missing.
-Yes /usr/local/bin/mythwelcome-set-alarm.sh is missing Attempting to get them from the r5.5 cd.
-I did get the scripts from r5.5 but they still didn't work. There must have been some sort of helper script that ran on exit that is not running in arch that copied the saved wake time that is created by mythwelcome-set-alarm.sh to /tmp/alarm to the correct location. Arch's location is : /sys/class/rtc/rtc0/wakealarm

I used the script from the mythtv wiki for ACPI wakeup to directly change the wakeup time:
Code:
#!/bin/sh
#$1 is the first argument to the script. It is the time in seconds since 1970
#this is defined in mythtv-setup with the time_t argument

echo 0 > /sys/class/rtc/rtc0/wakealarm      #this clears your alarm.
echo $1 > /sys/class/rtc/rtc0/wakealarm     #this writes your alarm

irexec is running but none of my scripts that I have setup in my lircrc run I can't seem to find any log information that shows what is going on either.

Lastly,why Arch?
I feel like I am having to re-invent the wheel here by learning all the ins and outs and new issues that are on R6 in arch. R5.5 was truly a masterpiece and I actually considered going back to it since I feel like I know Knoppix or at least Knoppmyth like the back of my hand. There were points where I considered downgrading or dare I say it switching to a certain debian based distro but, I have come so far now that there is no turning back I am afraid. If I can get autofs to work and irexec I will be basically back to where I was before. Plus playback profiles work better on this release of mythtv which is the main reason why I switched in the first place.
I suppose, we all know deep down that half of the enjoyment we get from these machines is the process. I know for myself it's mostly about the journey and very little about the destination. I mean come on, it's only TV after all.

Hauppage PVR 500 MCE
Soundblaster Live
ATI Remote Wonder II

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 8:58 pm 
What you need to remember is that the current release of R6 is only a BETA, so that everything will not work.

It is great you are coming up with solutions, it would be even better if you could add them to flyspray so that they can be addressed directly by the developers.

There was an explanation from Cecil as to why he moved from Debian to Arch and from memory it had to do with package management. This will allow easier updates and the like, I have already used it and it works greats.

Again thanks for you contribution of solutions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:46 am 
Thanks for the reply. I also managed to fix irexec by changing the line near the bottom of /usr/LH/bin/LinHES-run from:
Code:
 /usr/bin/irexec

to:
Code:
 /usr/bin/irexec -d &

To run irexec as a daemon.

When I get a chance maybe I will figure out what I am actually supposed to be doing with flyspray.

Hauppage PVR 500 MCE
Soundblaster Live
ATI Remote Wonder II

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:27 pm 
First of test your smb share with a manual mount
Code:
mount.cifs //192.168.1.5/Volume_1/Video /mnt

or
Code:
mount.cifs //<hostname>/<share> <mount_point> -o user=<username>,password=<password>

If that works ok then you can add it to your /etc/fstab

Code:
//<hostname>/<share> <mount_point> cifs credentials=/etc/mythsmbpass,rw,mythtv,auto 0 0

and create a credentials file /etc/mythsmbpass to store your passwords in

Code:
#/etc/mythsmbpass
# Myth smb password
username=mythtv
password=mythtv

Test your fstab
Code:
# mount -a ; df -h

Edit your /etc/rc.conf and find

Code:
DAEMONS=(fbsplash  !syslog-ng !hotplug !pcmcia network  !mysqld !dbus !avahi-daemon)

Change it to (adding netfs)
Code:
DAEMONS=(fbsplash  !syslog-ng !hotplug !pcmcia network netfs !mysqld !dbus !avahi-daemon)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:55 pm 
Thanks for the reply. I did get autofs to work by adding:
Code:
 sudo /etc/rc.d/autofs start
to the end of /usr/LH/bin/LinHES-run under where I fixed irexec at the bottom (previous post above). It seems like a bit of a hack but it works. My latest problem is getting my digital camera to show up and mount but my autofs network shares seem to be mounting fine. Every once and a while I used to have problems with the camera not auto mounting in R5.5.

Hauppage PVR 500 MCE
Soundblaster Live
ATI Remote Wonder II

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:36 pm 
The method I used dose not require anything be added to LinHES ,

But autofs works just fine as well

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 2:59 pm 
I'm trying to install R6 but can't get it to install.
when I run the install with out the splash screen it always fails with the following error.

Sorry can't find boot medium

I'm trying to install with hda as master and the cdrom as the slave

Any thoughts?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:12 am 
Site Admin
How about a seperate thread dealing with your specify issue?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 2:52 am 
footeo wrote:
ACPI wakeup seems to not function any longer. Mythwelcome will shutdown the computer just fine but I think the script that sets the wake time on the mother board is missing.
-Yes /usr/local/bin/mythwelcome-set-alarm.sh is missing Attempting to get them from the r5.5 cd.
-I did get the scripts from r5.5 but they still didn't work. There must have been some sort of helper script that ran on exit that is not running in arch that copied the saved wake time that is created by mythwelcome-set-alarm.sh to /tmp/alarm to the correct location. Arch's location is : /sys/class/rtc/rtc0/wakealarm

You are right about a missing "helper" script.

I've added instructions to the flyspray that should fix this. If someone could try it out and add the resulting hwclock.sh script to the flyspray that would be great.