View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:08 pm 
Is is possible to upgrade X to a newer version than came in R5.5?

There is a known memory leak in R5.5 (some combination of X and nvidia drivers).
Upgrading the nvidia drivers to version 180.51 has not helped the memory leak problem.
Now, I'd like to see if upgrading to a newer version of X will stop the memory leak.

Is it as easy as...
Code:
# apt-get install xserver-xorg
??

This page implies it is that easy! Is it correct?

KnoppMyth R5.5, Asus A8N-VM CSM (nvidia 6150 onboard video), AMD Athlon 64 dual-core 4200+, two 1GB sticks DDR 400, HD-3000 HDTV card, PVR-150 card, Iguanaworks RS-232 IR receiver/transmitter, Pioneer DVR-110 DVD burner

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:32 pm 
Why don't you try it? Performing a backup first of /etc would be a good idea, and making sure you have the .debs to undo any changes would be ideal.
Can't really see that upgrading xorg would cause instability, though.

Mike

Post subject: will try it
PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:10 pm 
I am not brave enough to try it on my "production" box, but I do have a test machine I could load up with R5.5 and try the X upgrade. If it blows up, it won't be a big deal.

I was hoping to see if any of the seasoned experts have tried such things and could tell me if this is THE way to do this or if there is a better way. (I presume that Cecil has to upgrade X with each release, so he must know the best way to do it.)

Eric

KnoppMyth R5.5, Asus A8N-VM CSM (nvidia 6150 onboard video), AMD Athlon 64 dual-core 4200+, two 1GB sticks DDR 400, HD-3000 HDTV card, PVR-150 card, Iguanaworks RS-232 IR receiver/transmitter, Pioneer DVR-110 DVD burner

Post subject: tried it - BOOM
PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:06 pm 
Wow. Doing that breaks things pretty good!

I didn't change the default R5.5 sources.list file at all so apt-get was pointing at unstable repositories.

There was an error towards the end of the process and so I shut down the machine and called it a day.
Today when I booted up, I got the INT: Id "c7" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes, over and over.
I can't SSH in and I can't even get to a command line from the keyboard. ALT-F1, etc. doesn't give you a new virtual shell. :shock:

For now, I'm not sure how to get any sort control of the system.
*IF* I can get back into the system, should I change the sources.list file to point to stable repos, and try again?

Eric

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:53 pm 
See the disaster recovery pages on the wiki for how to boot the system using the install CD and then switch over to the HD with a console prompt.

Say this one: http://www.knoppmythwiki.org/index.php?page=InstallDiskAsRescueCD
Or maybe just this one: http://www.knoppmythwiki.org/index.php?page=BootToSingleUserMode

Post subject: try again
PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:28 pm 
Thanks for the tips TJC. I ended up taking the easy way out - reinstalling. Since this is a test machine I just went forward and reinstalled - nothing lost.

So, I just changed the sources.list file to point to stable sources and tried the "apt-get install xserver-xorg" command as root.
It downloaded a few files, asked me if I wanted to keep my current version or if I wanted to download the maintainers current version.
I said get the maintainers current versoin.
It bombed out with some errors.
I rebooted.
Knoppmyth booted up and I have a Mythtv menu as normal.
I just checked to see what version of X is in there now.... It's the same old 2007 version of X Server. Nothing changed, it appears.

So, how do you update X to a newer version?