View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 5:29 pm 
Hi everyone!

I thought I would play with R6 on another subnet and start working toward an updated MythTV system (current production system is based upon R5E50 with lots of customizations). The current system is one backend with four diskless clients. My end goal is to duplicate the current system but replace two PVR350s with two HDPVR 1212s.

My test backend is a Dell Dimension 8300 3.0g with an nvidia FX5200 video, and a PVR150. My test diskless client is a Dell netbook. I'm running mythtv-svn trunk.

The one problem I have seen from the getgo using R6 is that rebooting after install (and subsequent boots), is that X does not start. It occurs on both the backend and the diskless client. What I have done is:

1) Updated the system with pacman
2) Force vesa mode on install.
3) Added load_modules=off and nomce to my kernel line to no avail.

So when the machine(s) boot I see boot messages which end at "mount nfsd" and setting the time. What I have done to continue testing is hitting <alt> <f3>, logging in as user mythtv and starting X manually by calling "startx". From there I have configured both backend and diskless frontend without any problems.

Except for this manual starting of X, things seem to be working fine. I don't see how it can be an nfsd problem because I was able to run the diskless client script and boot my netbook over the subnet.

Before I started X manually the first time, I checked to see if the system did try to start X but the /var/log/Xorg*.log file did not exist. So it seems to me that something else is stopping X from starting, or the boot process to continue on to start X.

Any ideas on what I could do to solve this? Any more info I could supply that would be helpful in figuring this out?

Thanks in advance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 5:55 pm 
I ran into something like this early in my R6 installation.

Look to see if the frontend is running as a service by looking in /var/service (** edit ** i originally had /etc/sv which is the list of available services **):

Code:
ls /var/service

You should see frontend somewhere in the list. If you don't, that's likely your problem. You can add it as follows:

Code:
sudo add_service.sh frontend

The frontend service starts x, the linhes desktop and the frontend. After a restart, you should see everything start up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 6:23 pm 
Thanks, that was it. So it was stupyhead me because on install I selected "backend only". Then that was propagated to the diskless client by the script.

I guess I was confused because I never got a login prompt on the boot terminal as I did when I did the <alt> <f3>.

Well anyway it works now because of your help!!

Thanks again.