View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject: Testing in VirtualBox
PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 10:22 am 
Can Linhes R6 be installed in Virtualbox?

I have Ubuntu 9.04 installed and installed the latest Virtualbox (I believe 3.06). When I try to install Linhes R6 in VB it looks like it hangs. In the bottom right of the screen it states something like "Install database in CHROOT". I leave it alone for hours and nothing changes.

I like using VB for testing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 3:23 pm 
you may have to fiddle with the disk settings. I think by default VB adds a SATA disk. Try changing it to IDE and see if that helps.

You be able to do everything except watch video.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 4:48 pm 
Thanks for the reply.

I don't believe it is a hard drive issue. I did change it, but that didn't seem to work.

The install looks flawless until almost the very end. It formats the drive, copies the information, sets up grub, but then seems to freeze while doing something to the database.

Oh well. Guess I'll have to find another way to test it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 7:16 am 
You can also try vmware. I use both.

I've run R5.5 in both successfully but I have not tried R6.

I'm not sure why R6 won't work in VB but I have had issues on VB for other things. In your case it could also be the chosen video driver or something similar.

I have never yet had issues with VMWare so perhaps that can be of use to you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:06 pm 
I have my MBE (R6) running in VB on an OpenSuSE host.

In addition, I have one diskless FE running so far which boots off of the MBE via PXE boot.

Lastly I have /myth store on OpenSuSE and mounted it on the FE via nfs. I have mounted it on the MBE via VB shared folders (for performance etc, seemed silly to use nfs & the network).

Works BRILLIANTLY. I am very excited by this setup, mostly due to the ability to snapshot. Indeed, just tonight I noticed I had screwed up nfsroot on MBE so I went to VB & discarded the current state (took literally about .5s), re-started mbe, restarted my FE & all was good!

My MBE VM is 10GB (thanks to storing /myth on the host OS). Upgrades, tweaking etc should be very manageable from now on.

Oh, I plan to install a non-VM SBE on an old box with my 3 tuners. That will be the only link in the chain that isn't on a VM or PXE boot.

I did nothing special in VB to get this running, basically took all the defaults. My ver of VB is 3.0.5, not 3.0.6 which is the latest.

Paul

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 3:31 pm 
poflynn wrote:
I have my MBE (R6) running in VB on an OpenSuSE host.

Hey Paul. Can you pick a different acronym for Virtualbox? VB means something completely different to many of us (especially Aussies ;-) )

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 4:01 pm 
manicmike wrote:
Hey Paul. Can you pick a different acronym for Virtualbox? VB means something completely different to many of us (especially Aussies ;-) )

Isn't it a beer down there? I thought you were upset at the association with MS/VisualBasic :-)

BTW, for those interested, I am running 3.0.4 & lovin' it (no 3.0.5 as I mentioned above).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 7:16 pm 
poflynn wrote:
Isn't it a beer down there? I thought you were upset at the association with MS/VisualBasic :-)

BTW, for those interested, I am running 3.0.4 & lovin' it (no 3.0.5 as I mentioned above).

Yep, VB is beer all right :P

I wasn't 'upset', just confused. Daylight savings just started here and it was early Monday morning. Briefly wondered why you were virtualising Visual Basic, then it clicked (duh).

Mike

P.S. Version 3.0.6 is the latest.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 4:46 am 
R6 works just fine in virtualbox 3.0.10 for me. Just do NOT install the vbox guest additions as that roached it for me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 9:12 am 
I got the VBox additions running. Do not select a VM OS of Arch. I did and it tried to install the arch version of the additions which failed to install due to the non-standard use of init in linhes. Eventually I did some manual workarounds with the help of a friend and got it running.

I'm curious to know what VB would have done if I had selected an OS of 'Other', does it still give the option of installing additions? I assume it does along with some manual instructions which would be better than the arch version.