View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 9:28 pm 
Can anyone suggest advice on setting up my LinHES 6.01 backend as my print server? With KnoppMyth 5.5, I had installed CUPS and was happy. When I try to do this with LinHES 6.01, I'm stumped.

I tried to uncomment the mirrors in /etc/pacman.conf, but a "pacman -Ss cups" didn't show the cups server. I did see the CUPS package after commenting the LinHES repositories, but that would have upgraded about a dozen packages (including going to a different kernel).

I would appreciate any tips. I didn't have any Arch Linux experience before this week. So far, I'm pretty impressed with LinHES 6.01 (good work Cecil, et al).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:58 am 
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/CUPS. I had no trouble by following this wiki. Good luck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:46 pm 
nbdwt73 wrote:
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/CUPS. I had no trouble by following this wiki. Good luck.

Thanks nbdwt73. Re-reading my post, I wasn't clear. I wanted to install the cups package as the Arch Linux wiki suggests. LinHES 6.01 installed libcups, but not the cups package. The cups package is also not found in the stable LinHES repos (unless I'm doing something wrong).

Since posting, I found the topic mixing official arch repos with LinHES's in /etc/pacman.conf and now realize I should definitely not mix repositories. I guess I could open a low priority ticket begging for a CUPS package (as Cecil suggested in that thread), but I understand the devs have many media-related things to do.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:48 pm 
hanson024 wrote:
With KnoppMyth 5.5, I had installed CUPS and was happy.

Hanson024 can you tell me how you did that?
When I try to install cupsys it wants to install loads of packages and even remove samba and 30 other ones!

I hope you can help me, I want to be happy too :D

EDIT:
Wait a minute.

First of all the package changed it's name to cups. (sounds logical)
And second, when I do a
Code:
apt-get install cups cups-bsd

I get what I described above, but when you fist install 'cups' and after that 'cups-bsd' nothing gets removed, and only a few packages get installed.

Sounds strange to me, but I'm no linux guru.

Post subject: Follow-up
PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:23 pm 
Axxel,
I'm sorry, I don't remember which guide I used. I had set it up over a year ago. Since KnoppMyth was basically Debian, I think what I did was search google for "cups debian guide". If I were trying it today, I'd go with http://www.debiantutorials.org/debian-l ... x-etch-228

I don't think you really need the cups-bsd package, but I'm not much of a guru either.

As a follow-up to my original post, I've decided to switch my backend system away from LinHES to a more mainstream server distribution. I don't mean to detract from what Cecil and company have done with LinHES, I just recognized my server was getting too many responsibilities to line up with the goals for LinHES. I like the new-found versatility, but miss the simplicity and performance on Knoppmyth or on LinHES.

Good luck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:12 am 
presently I have two 24/7 boxes, my Server and my Mythbox. I've often pondered combining the two (or at least putting the backend on my server) but have ran into the same issues as hanson024 and abandoned the idea.

While often frustrating, I do think the "appliance" approach for LinHES is the right approach. I'd rather give up a little "cutting edge" functionality for stability. Otherwise I have to deal with mutiny when the Mythbox is down!

My present "solution" to this has been to set up a test Mythbox so that I can compile and test additional programs on the test box before turning them loose on my "production" box.

While watching back episodes of Battlestar Galatica (on my Mythbox), I had a go at compiling cups for R6. Unfortunately it ending up being a short trip to "dependency hell" as the current version of cups in the Arch repositories requires numerous package updates to those presently in the LinHES repositories (including such fun things as DB...). I then ran into a package (I forget which one) that didn't want to compile and install and gave up.

I realize this has nothing to do with R5.5 and I apologies for that. Just thought I'd share my (not so pleasant) experience in trying to get cups to install on R6. (I suspect the PCKBUILD could be modified for an older version of cups with a happier end result but honestly I have no motivation to do this as cups works brilliantly on my server.)

[Please note I'm in no way bashing LinHES. It is phenomenal in doing what it does and has been rock stable for me. I've even had good luck with creating additional pacman packages to add additional software (rtorrent, azurues / vuze, and others) but no joy with cups.]

Martian

Vizio 37" LCD HDTV (1080p)