View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 3:00 pm 
Hi. I'm stuck. I have the first full trusted edition of LinHes that was released excitedly to the public last year (when you released it at a conference I think). I want to update it to current version, saving all my settings for programming, VDPAU etc.

For fear of ruining my working MythTV, I tried to clone the drive first. I ran GParted and copied each partition (in order -- the ext2 boot, the linux swap, and the ext2 main).

Problem one. Cloned drive does not boot. Help.

Problem two. I tried running the current LinHes CD and ran update, which said it would update the first partition. It failed. (With a huge FAILED on the LinHes screen). Help!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 3:40 pm 
worldpoop wrote:
Hi. I'm stuck. I have the first full trusted edition of LinHes that was released excitedly to the public last year (when you released it at a conference I think). I want to update it to current version, saving all my settings for programming, VDPAU etc.

For fear of ruining my working MythTV, I tried to clone the drive first. I ran GParted and copied each partition (in order -- the ext2 boot, the linux swap, and the ext2 main).

Problem one. Cloned drive does not boot. Help.

Problem two. I tried running the current LinHes CD and ran update, which said it would update the first partition. It failed. (With a huge FAILED on the LinHes screen). Help!

I use clonezilla for this type of thing. It's been a while since I used it (> 1 year) but it always worked for me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 5:34 pm 
This is awesome, Mike, thank you. I'll give Clonezilla a try and report back! (I says it supports grub -- good sign...)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 1:37 am 
Yes. Clonezilla worked perfectly. Thank you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:23 pm 
Clonezilla worked pretty well for me.

The problem I had while moving the disk over to a larger one was when I needed gparted to expand the partitions. The specific problem was the swap partitiion not being recognized correctly. I had to move it to expand the partitons and in the process it failed to mount during boot. I deleted that line in fstab and put in an appropriate line. Everything is great now.

The boot sector seems to be a problem with Gparted. The paritions always move over good but booting is a problem. I have similar issues with Windows partitions.

So, I recommend using Clonezilla to move to a new drive and make sure it boots. Then use gparted to expand the patitions. I am not sure why the swap was not labeled correctly for gparted to move it, but as long as you are certain it is only a swap you can fix it afterward.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:35 am 
You can copy of the partitions one-by-one as you did initially, you just have to chroot into the "new" system and rebuild the kernel images as well as install grub and edit the /etc/fstab on the new drive if you made changes. Then it'll boot just fine.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/In ... get_system

You don't need gparted; just partition the new drive to match the partitions on the old one - you can vary their sizes, just keep the order/type consistent. I'd recommend using rsync to copy the needed partitions over.