View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:23 pm 
After successfully configuring a Video Source in MythTV Backend configuration, and successfully Retrieving Lineups, there is an error in another section of Backend Config that seems like it should not be occurring.

In the MythTV Backend configuration, option 5 Input Connections, select an input connection to edit or add a new one, the Fetch Channels From Listing Source option DOES NOT FUNCTION!

Using LinHes 8.1.1, which I think uses MythTV 0.27.

How can this obvious problem be corrected?

This means one must RELY on the Scan For Channels option, which does not create an automatic channel entry for a channel that is too weak to pick up on small antenna! And the manual channel configuration DOES NOT ALLOW THE ENTRY of an ATSC TV Format channel!!! SO how does one work around these programming errors???

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:08 am 
This is not an error. The fetch channels button doesn't work for digital sources because the listing services can't provide all the specific info that is required to tune a digital channel in your specific location. And you can't manually plug it in because channel 2.1 that displays on your TV is in most cases not actually being broadcast on the "channel 2" frequency. That is why a channel scan is required.

From a MythTV Dev: http://www.mythtv.org/pipermail/mythtv- ... 96219.html

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:31 am 
I did not say anything about digital channels. I'm trying to use and add analog channels. Which is why I'm expecting it to work!

Why is a feature / function included if it does not work?!?!?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:01 pm 
jcritch wrote:
I did not say anything about digital channels.
Actually you did:
jcritch wrote:
And the manual channel configuration DOES NOT ALLOW THE ENTRY of an ATSC TV Format channel!!!
ATSC is digital. If you are seeing ATSC while trying to configure analog you probably have the tuner type configured incorrectly.

Out of curiosity where are you located that you still have analog OTA available?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:55 pm 
jcritch wrote:
brfransen wrote:
Actually you did:

jcritch wrote:
And the manual channel configuration DOES NOT ALLOW THE ENTRY of an ATSC TV Format channel!!!
brfransen wrote:
ATSC is digital. If you are seeing ATSC while trying to configure analog you probably have the tuner type configured incorrectly.
brfransen wrote:
Out of curiosity where are you located that you still have analog OTA available?

From jcritch:
All of the analog channels that have been automatically configured by the scan have configured themselves as ATSC.

In the United States, many of the cable systems charge extra for digital cable while retaining the older analog signals on the same cable system for subscribers that can not afford the premium digital cable pricing.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:31 pm 
jcritch wrote:
All of the analog channels that have been automatically configured by the scan have configured themselves as ATSC.
This still sounds like the tuner type is incorrect. What is the capture card and what did you select for the capture card -> card type?

Quote:
In the United States, many of the cable systems charge extra for digital cable while retaining the older analog signals on the same cable system for subscribers that can not afford the premium digital cable pricing.
Ah ok. When you said antenna that lead to thinking you were OTA, not on a cable system. I have setup an HVR1600 to record analog channels on cable recently and from memory the fetch channels button did work.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:33 pm 
:roll: Wow, just wow. Have to hand it to you Britney, you've got a heckuva lot of patience!
[EDIT: Dang, fast too! Beat me to it...]

brfransen wrote:
jcritch wrote:
Actually you did:
jcritch wrote:

jcritch wrote:
From jcritch:
If you scanned and received channels, then you are using an ATSC tuner. May be connected to an antenna (which you said was the case at the beginning of this thread) or connected to your incoming cable, which would be clear QAM channels provided by the cable company. Either way, these formats are digital.

jcritch wrote:
It is true that some cable companies still send analog signals from the headend. I happen to live in a market in which this is the case (Brighthouse in Metro Detroit). However, you will not receive these analog channels on an ATSC tuner. To watch those channels you need an NTSC tuner such as a PVR-150, or a hybrid that has both ATSC and NTSC tuners, and your channel numbers will be pulled into MythTV when you "Retrieve Lineups" on the appropriate input for that card.

So, instead of screaming at those that created this fine distro (and those on the MythTV dev mailing list, I'm sure they really appreciate that too http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/dev/563078), why don't you explain what tuner(s) you have (make/model) and what exactly you are trying to accomplish?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:29 pm 
In summary video terms defined by MythTV (some things are simplified FCC is very complicated)
NTSC is analog TV over the air channels 1-75 their channel number name is their channel number in frequency
Cable is analog cable from the pole to your house ch 1-125 channel name equals channel number
ATSC is Digital TV over the air channels channel name is not the same as their new digital channel, (channel 2 news is actually on channel 12 )
QAM is Digital TV over cable there is very little standardization between cable companies each channel broadcasts it's name once it is tuned to.

here is some very boring (geeky) reading http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Amer ... requencies