View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:06 am 
Hi,

Can someone please let me know if the install kernel includes support for a RAID 0 software array? I was able to get to xterm from the install menu and enabled dmraid doing this:

# modprobe dm_mod
# dmraid -ay

I don't know how to get back to the installer now however from the command line.

Any tips?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:43 am 
Hi, it has been a long time since I've been active on mythtv forums, but I have been using mythtv for somewhere in the order of 10 years. I read through this forum's FAQs, rules, etc, and see no specific rules for posting that I may have missed or overlooked.

On that note, if anyone knows the command line instructions to re-initiate the install process after I have started up this dmraid module from xterm I'd sure appreciate it. When I posted on the mythtv-users forum I received negative feedback sending me back to this forum.

Currently stuck...

Thanks!
Scott

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:41 pm 
Site Admin
To directly answer the question the command to restart the install gui is mythinstall or mythvantage, either will work.

Install to raid devices is not really supported by LinHES but there is no reason why it shouldn't work.
The gui may not pick up the device, but the config may be edited to point to the device you want to install to.

custom install steps:
1) run through the gui, picking values that you want to use. The disk doesn't matter as that is going to be manually changed later.
2) At the final prompt where it warns that formatting is destructive, cancel out.
3) open a terminal and edit /etc/install_layout to your liking.
4) run mv_install.py
5) wait for mv_install.py to finish.

Not for sure why anybody would want to use raid 0 for the OS , but thats your decision. If the raid 0 is for data/recordings I would suggest doing a normal install and then setup raid0 for the data after the install has completed.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 2:11 pm 
Thanks for replying.

I did recently read this post as well
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=23989&p=138583&hilit=partition#p138588

I think I'll install Linhes on a standalone drive leaving my RAID 0 data array separate. My concern would be how to ensure the kernel includes the dmraid module in the boot partition so that an auto-restart has the data array live without manually having to start dmraid manually after each reboot.

If I stop the install process and start the dmraid module via xterm and then restart the install per your notes, will the installer build the kernel properly to include the dmraid module? I guess I'll try and find out.

I'm trying to make use of the four data drives I have used with my old myth setup for data as opposed to going out to replace with one big drive. They amount to 1.2 TB combined as RAID 0.

Any tips appreciated!

thx
Scott

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 2:49 pm 
Just in case some poor soul reads this post and wants to try RAID 0:
There is a reason RAID 0 is called scary RAID. If any of your old creaky drives fail you loose ALL data. It is used to make the one raid drive as fast possible with no redundancy. MythTV uses Storage Groups now so that you tell MythTV which folders on which partitions to record to and it can balance the drive fullness allowing multiple drives instead of just one like MythTV before version 0.22.