View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 10:31 pm 
I am working on an HTPC, building it a little bit at a time, as money allows :D.

I planed on using Myth TV on it, but now I found knopMyth today, and was hopping it would allow me to play around with Myth TV before I finish building the HTPC.

So, I am looking over the instructions, and I start reading about the Auto Install feature.

I just want to know this, If I load this cd on a windows machine, and I choose the auto install, is it going to just install MythTV, or is it going to copy everything to the hard drive (IE, will it try to make my system into a multip boot system)?

I just want to verify that it will not do anything to affect the booting of my machine when the cd is not in the drive. If someone can verify this for me, I would love to start playing around with this!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 10:51 pm 
Auto install will wipe the HD on the primary channel. so if windows is there.. bye bye.. dual boot has to be done manually. THere is a couple posts on howto do it around here somewhere. Welcome! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 11:08 pm 
the only thing knoppmyth will do from the CD is run as a frontend which requires a working backend. As mentioned before it will overwrite everything, and windows will be completely gone if you try to install it. On another note, you will not be able to run this or any version of Myth on a windows pc, as Myth is not a windows program, it only runs on Linux. If you want to use windows you will have to use one of the windows based programs, and there are a few out there.

Xsecrets

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 11:42 pm 
Xsecrets wrote:
the only thing knoppmyth will do from the CD is run as a frontend which requires a working backend. As mentioned before it will overwrite everything, and windows will be completely gone if you try to install it. On another note, you will not be able to run this or any version of Myth on a windows pc, as Myth is not a windows program, it only runs on Linux. If you want to use windows you will have to use one of the windows based programs, and there are a few out there.

Well, I want to run Linux and MythTV on the HTPC box I build, but at the moment I only have windows machines. I figured I could run Knopp Myth just like Knoppix, from the CD, but I guess not. I am glad I read this before proceeding!

Would you be able to name a few widows based applications that are similar? Thanks for the help!

Post subject: showshifter
PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 12:08 am 
www.showshifter.com is a pretty decent one.

There are a few others, try google (-;

Mike