View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 12:54 pm 
I am a newbie, especially to debian version of linux. I have completed a mostly successful installation of KnoppMyth. I am having problems figuring out how to set it up to use a dialup account to retreive information from my DataDirect account. I tried using pppconfig to configure ppp for my modem and that sort of seems to work, at least if I run pon the modem dials and connects to my isp (I think). But when I try to run mythfilldatabase I get "Resolving datadirect.webservices.zap2it.com... failed: Host not Found"

Can anybody help?

BTW my eth0 connections is setup for fixed IP address but I did choose dynamic for DHCP in the pppconfig for the ppp configuration.

How can I tell if I really have a completed connection with my isp? being a newbie I am a little lost without a browser to test the connection and the knoppmyth installation either did not install one, or I don't know how to start it up.

Any help is really appreciated

Steve

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 1:12 pm 
have you searched the forums? I know this has been discused a couple of times.

Xsecrets

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 4:28 pm 
Yes, I did do a search on this site and found a couple of hits, however I have so far received no joy from them. I also looked at the KnoppMtythWiki but I could not figure out how to search on it.

If you can point me to any particular links it would be greatly appreciated :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 5:17 pm 
smsanders wrote:
I also looked at the KnoppMtythWiki but I could not figure out how to search on it.

So the big box in the dark purple bar labeled "search for" ___ "in the" ___ which occurs on the upper right corner of every single page of the Wiki wasn't a big enough clue? :roll:

Please read this: http://catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 5:50 pm 
so this link http://mysettopbox.tv/phpBB2/viewtopic. ... ght=dialup didn't help? I used the search function for dialup and it was the second one right behind your post. If you tried following that, and got lost somewhere, then you might want to post on that tread telling what you did, and where it didn't work.

Xsecrets

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 3:12 am 
You're on the right track with pppconfig/pon/poff. That is all that I needed to get dialup going.

If you connected, but couldn't resolve hosts, it is probably because the routing was not set up correctly. I know of two things that can cause this:
    You need to call pon with the defaultroute option. I.e. "pon name_from_pppconfig defaultroute"
    There is already a default route defined and pon was not able to override it. In that case a "route delete default" will fix it until the next reboot. Running "netcardconfig" should fix it more permanently.

For more details: http://mysettopbox.tv/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2733&highlight=

Allen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 10:37 am 
Allen,

Thank you for your thoughful reply. I thought that might work but I guess my connection with the ISP is not completing after all. I will post in the subject refered to in the dial up using wvdial.

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 10:42 am 
to tjc,

I am just trying to get some help here, your comment was not really very helpful. I did in fact try entering "dialup" in the "Search" box, but guess what?

Not a single hit came back. This was what left me wondering if I was using the correct method for search in the wiki (like was I just supposed to press enter? or was I supposed to click the little >>?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 1:16 pm 
the search does work on the wiki, I think you can hit enter or click the button, the problem I believe is that noone has written up anything about dialup for the wiki. I myself haven't used dialup in about 5 years, so I haven't even looked at it.

Xsecrets