View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Go to page 1, 2  Next

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:28 pm 
Just auto-installed KnoppMyth and after a successful install, it went through the reboot sequence told said remove disk and it rebooted. However, it attempts to boot from disk instead of Hard Drive. The hard drive is set to Primary Master and my boot sequence is ( after trying everything else ) HD0, HD1, HD2.

It just simply will not boot. Windows XP was installed on the drive when I started the process, should I have formatted the drive before installing KnoppMyth?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:58 pm 
Well, it it is attempting to boot from the Cd, perhaps changing your BIOS so it will boot from the hard drive? Perhaps reading my docs? If all else fail, a ll term search for 'mount chroot lilo'.

When the source is open, the possibilities are endless!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 12:05 am 
Just finished another install, caught an error message right when it was finished, but it only flashed up on the screen for a second then the reboot selector came up. I guess I will try again tomorrow and see if I can catch the message.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 12:37 am 
Check out the troubleshooting pages on the wiki. The "won't boot after install" issue has a couple of common causes which I've gone through at least twice this month with various folks. Generally this happens either because the BIOS doesn't see the drive as bootable or because writing the first stage loader to the boot sector failed for some reason.

- SATA drive? (still some issues here)
- Drive jumpered CS or MA? (which one works depends on your chipset, BIOS, and disk cable)
- Disk is listed as bootable in the BIOS, and the first partition is marked bootable in the parttion tables.

Search the forums for more...

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 12:19 pm 
This is frustrating...the last message I get is "Verifyinf DMI Pool Data" before the system does nothing else. I went to the Wiki and have the following info for my PATA hard drive:

* (ALL) Determine your drive type. PATA should have very few issues, most of which are covered here. SATA is a more difficult proposition.

-PATA

* (ALL) Make sure you've got your BIOS set for the most verbose diagnostics possible. Look for errors like "no bootable device found".

-I can't find any settings to change the error messages/verboseness of the diagnostics. I have Phoenix AwardBIOS v. 6.00PG

* (PATA) Check how/where your BIOS sees the drives. You should be installing to and booting off of your primary master IDE drive.

-check

* (ALL) Does your BIOS show the drive as a bootable device?

-yes

* (ALL) Make sure that the BIOS or the disk doesn't have some kind of "boot sector virus protection" enabled which might prevent lilo from writing the boot loader into the MBR.

-Virus protection is disabled.

* (PATA, ???) Check how you HDs are jumpered. Sometimes MA/SL is the trick other times CS is needed. This may be dependant on the motherboard chipset, BIOS, and the drive type.

-I have tried it as both MA and CS with equivalent results.

* (ALL) Pull out any extra hardware and try to boot with a minimal configuration

-Tried, doesn't matter.

* (PATA, SATA?) Unplug all the IDE devices except for the primary master, which should be your boot device, and see if that makes a difference

-See above.

* (ALL) Make sure the first partition on your drive is marked as bootable by fdisk. (you'll need to boot from the CD and use it in rescue mode to do this)

fdisk reports /dev/hda1 as Bootable.

* (ALL) Make sure that lilo is really getting installed. This may be more of an issue with SATA drives, some people report needing multiple tries to get it to work. This probably means booting from the CD and running lilo manually in verbose mode.

-going into the command prompt and entering "lilo" returns the error message "/etc/lilo.conf: no such file or directory". I'm no lilo expert, so any info that you might have for manually installing and/or setting the configuration file would help.

I am getting a series of error messages after it writes /etc/fstab in the install and installs that SSH keys that are hard to follow across the screen. I can tell that it has to do with some file not found, in the mnt/hdinstall tree.

Much thanks,
-KGB

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 1:34 am 
I am currently trying to build knoppmyth as a backend.

After I auto install my system reports boot disk failure. The fix i found is to boot the CD again, and select the manual install option. then go to format hard disk, and use fdisk to set the root partition as bootable. write the file system and then reboot. I can now boot form the hard disk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 7:22 am 
As I mentioned above, I tried this solution and fdisk reports it bootable. I am getting similar results whether I try manual install or auto install.

My instincts tell me something is wrong with lilo, but I don't know how to manually install or configure lilo (I think it's already installed). If someone could provide me with a sample lilo.conf file for knoppmyth it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
KGB

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 10:08 am 
If you search for 'lilo mount chroot' you should get some results...

When the source is open, the possibilities are endless!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 5:53 pm 
I had this same issue, and as tjc sugested. Try physically switching the jumper on the hard drive either from master to cable select or vice versa. It worked for me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 6:29 am 
soundoff wrote:
After I auto install my system reports boot disk failure. The fix i found is to boot the CD again, and select the manual install option. then go to format hard disk, and use fdisk to set the root partition as bootable. write the file system and then reboot.

Did you every find another solution? I have been doing this since I first started working with KnoppMyth 1 1/2 years ago. I never get a disk marked as bootable. I always have to do what you described above.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 12:58 pm 
soundoff wrote:
I am currently trying to build knoppmyth as a backend.

After I auto install my system reports boot disk failure. The fix i found is to boot the CD again, and select the manual install option. then go to format hard disk, and use fdisk to set the root partition as bootable. write the file system and then reboot. I can now boot form the hard disk

Yeah, that's not working for me. I have noticed that after I write the file system it tells me it was written but it failed to re-read the table. I've searched the forum high and low and can't find a good solution. I've tried switiching the jumper between CS and MA, neither seems to make a difference. I just get a boot failure after every install.

Another thing I will note is that I see the same errors at the end of the install mentioned previously in the thread.

I was hoping this would make MythTV easy as I'm getting a little tired of SageTV's instability. If this keeps up, I'll be installing Windows by the end of the night.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 1:13 pm 
Did you check your BIOS settings to make sure you don't have some kind of antivirus protection switched on which keeps you from writing the boot sector or formating the disk? I'd refer you to the wiki where there is a very long list of things to check, but Xsecrets is over his bandwidth quota for the month.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 1:25 pm 
There's no virus protection or anything like it in my BIOS. I have checked.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 1:40 pm 
Well you haven't bothered to provide any details of your hardware, and I don't have the energy to drag them out of you item by item right now. Write up you hardware in at least as much detail as my attached signature block shows (note that it includes model numbers so we can look up tech sheets on the hardware), include what steps you've taken already and the exact error messages you saw and we might be able to help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 2:04 pm 
tjc wrote:
Well you haven't bothered to provide any details of your hardware, and I don't have the energy to drag them out of you item by item right now. Write up you hardware in at least as much detail as my attached signature block shows (note that it includes model numbers so we can look up tech sheets on the hardware), include what steps you've taken already and the exact error messages you saw and we might be able to help.

1. I'll gather up as much hardware detail as I can, but half of what I'm using is hand-me-down hardware. In particular, I've been quite unsuccessful at figuring out exactly who made the motherboard I'm using. I'll give it a go, though.

2. If I could tell you what the errors were, I would. They scroll by much too quickly at the end of the installation to catch more than just a few parts, which have already been mentioned. If it'll help, I'll run the install enough times to try and read them all, though.

3. I'm sorry that you're short on energy. Have you tried extra Vitamin-C? Exercise? Ginko biloba? :roll:

Go to page 1, 2  Next