View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 2:29 pm 
I have installed KnoppMyth, and it works great. Pausing and rewinding live TV is cool! I have one issue that has been urking me a little though.

The way my system is set up, I have my Scientific Atlanta EXPLORER 3250HD cable box plugged into my Hauppauge PVR-350 via coax. Everything works great except the ~5 second delay between what my cable box is outputting and what my PVR-350 is outputting.

Does anyone know the best way for me to get all my HD channels (On-demand included) to work within KnoppMyth without the delay? I have tried skipping the cable box completely, but then I do not get any of the digital or HD channels. Would an HD capture card solve this? I keep reading about IR blasters...Would this in some way solve my probelm?

I'm assuming the easiest way to do this would be to edit KnoppMyth somewhere to cut the delay from ~5 seconds down to maybe .5 seconds. This would at least make it bearable while channel surfing.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 5:24 pm 
Without going into too much detail, this is just the way it is (and is supposed to be). Basically the video is buffered on hard disk, so there *will* be a delay. Some points:

1) The buffering is what makes the rewind, ffwd, pause etc possible.
2) You can set it up so that instead of changing channel directly, the channel buttons just browse what's on via the on-screen display, then change channels (press OK) once you've found something that sounds good
3) A lot of people stop watching live tv after using myth for a while (like me), because you can always watch exactly what you want (assuming you've recorded it).

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 5:54 pm 
What nickread said, plus...

SpudDogg wrote:
Does anyone know the best way for me to get all my HD channels (On-demand included) to work within KnoppMyth...

If you use your digital cable box with the PVR-350, you will only get SD recordings of any HD channels. Your best connection (but still an SD connection) between the cable box and the PVR-350 is via S-video, NOT via the screw-connector coax cable. You would then have to get an IR blaster working to change channels on your cable box.

If your cable box has Firewire, you could try controlling it like that.

If you get a HDTV tuner, you will only be able to record unencrypted cable: probably only over-the-air channels and possibly a couple more, no "on demand" or premium channels.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 6:03 pm 
Thank you both for your reponses.

ceenvee703, if I connect my cable box to my computer via firewire, will KnoppMyth automatically recognize this? I assuming this would make channel changing on my cable box done from my Hauppauge remote...Is that correct? Which would be easier to set up, an IR Blaster or a Firewire connection?

nickread, would it be possible to use Knoppmyth to browse whats on, and change the channel accordingly? I suppose that's what I would need the IR Blaster for...Is that correct?

Thanks again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 8:10 pm 
Yes you can change channel either via IR using an IR Blaster, or via firewire if thats working OK. Myth can call an external 'change channel' script which can pretty much do anything you want.