View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 5:58 pm 
I'd been putting up with cruddy 1080i on my near-dragon* for months now. It looked like a low framerate problem. I wasn't able to use xVmc on my 6200 card because the 720P shows would stop after 3 seconds and just sit there. Pause/Play gave me another 3 secs. CPU was usually maxed by the frontend + XFree together. I kept trying each new nVidia driver, hoping that it would solve my problems.

R5D1 seems to have done the job! With the combination of the fixes and updated nVidia (I had updated two weeks ago, but this one is newer still), I can finally use xVmc acceleration on my 6200 card. My 1080i looks great, with about 20% idle, and 720p looks great with 70% idle. X is using almost nothing, and the frontend is the only thing using much CPU.
Hey, I may be able to turn commflag back on! I had it set to only run overnight, as I needed all of the CPU for playback.

Hopefully I didn't jinx myself with this post....
Kudos for all who worked on this!

* - I'm on a MSI Neo/4, AMD 3200, video 6200 PCI/E card with a noisy fan, VGA/Component converter box, PC3000, Air2PC 5000.

--
Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 7:34 am 
I second this notion...HDTV used to run fairly decent on my 6200 and Athlon 64 3000, but the CPU was pretty much tacked to 100% with those pesky 8XXX nVidia drivers. (Anything less than 8XXX and my 1080i modeline would be split in the middle.) Every now and then, my machine would have a bad day and playback shows smooth for about a minute, and then choppy with bad audio syncing until I would exit back to the menu and restart it. XVMC would never work at all.

I just upgraded from R5B7 to R5D1 and what a difference. All I had to do was turn XVMC on and everything worked perfectly. Now both 720p and 1080i run smooth as silk with at least 40% CPU idle. The only drawbacks are that the OSD runs in Black and White, and that playback is always jittery for the first 2 seconds after starting a video or FFing/REWing it. After that it is smooth sailing.

For those of you who have had trouble getting XVMC to work, I highly recommend the upgrade.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 3:16 pm 
I just finished setting up my HDTV tuner. The FPS is way better than what I was getting with Windows applications.

I though there was a fix for the black and white osd under xvmc? I remember there was a patch. I remember the days when you would pray to the DVR gods, when you selected "Wathch Tv".

Have the improvements been from a newer version of mythtv or improvements with the NVIDIA driver.

Dwaine

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 5:39 pm 
dwaine wrote:
I though there was a fix for the black and white osd under xvmc? I remember there was a patch. I remember the days when you would pray to the DVR gods, when you selected "Wathch Tv".

Have the improvements been from a newer version of mythtv or improvements with the NVIDIA driver.

According to the MythTv wiki it is only fixed for geforce series 4 and 5.