View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 6:24 pm 
This was carried over from a very offtopic post so my apologies to anyone late to the party.

nharris: My 32" Aquos has anywhere from 5 to 10% overscan. Of course it's engineered into the spec, since 720p is native on it, and the 720p spec calls for 1280x720 while the screen supports a 1:1 resolution of 1366x768. The biggest drawback is that I can't find a decent modeline that will work at the native resolution so I go down to the 720p spec and it works. The other drawback is that imagery is off the screen on the bottom and sides since I don't get a 1:1 mapping. This leads to slightly blurrier text since there are some one-and-a-quarter pixels used to draw smaller text. Browsing the internet on my set is not a good idea at any distance.

That's why I'm concerned about a 1080p monitor using or not using a PC mode that allows for 1:1 mapping. If you can avoid it without using VGA, perfect. If you must use VGA but can still get 1:1, it won't be perfect but it'll be much better than dealing with overscan when it comes to reading text.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 9:57 am 
Thanks for moving this over afrosheen.

I am considering the Sharp LC-52D62U. Almost exactly $4k from CircuitCity at the time of this post. According to the manual it supports HDMI (via DVI) PC connections. Sharp claims 1080p native resolution and you can do a 1:1 mapping in their setup. If this is true, then I would hope for no issues when setting a 1920x1080 at 30Hz progressive mode line or a 1920x1080 at 60Hz interlaced mode line. What is not clear is if it supports 1920x1080 at 60Hz progressive. Also, from looking at the manual, it does not appear to advertise its native resolution when connected to a PC. So, I assume some trickery will be involved to get this working.

If anyone has experience with the new 1080p native LCDs, I would appreciate your story.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 10:06 am 
I think you're going to be a pioneering guinea pig on this one. You may want to google for the AVSforums and see who's already got a new 52" Aquos. There are a great deal of MythTV users over there also, and it's generally older guys who spend tons of cash on this kind of stuff.

DVI>HDMI is how my Aquos is connected but it's a generation behind. I think alot of the newer sets are moving to more digital and less analog connections which is a mixed blessing.

Also don't forget that the 1080p is going to come at a big price. First, your video card better have some muscle and plenty of ram to paint a screen that size. Second, I don't know if anyone has handled 1080p HD streams on MythTV yet. 1080i and 720p is common and even my lowly AthlonXP 2800 can do it with XvMC, but you're nearly doubling the pixel count. HD is most stressful during the decoding/display phase (recording is the easy part). Then again I could be wrong and that same 720p original stream requires the same amount of power to display on a 1080p monitor.

Lots of question marks on this one. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 10:10 am 
Thanks for the info. It should be the same amount of processing since 1080i is at 60Hz and 1080p is half that at 30Hz.

I'm waiting until Christmas or a little after (for a sale or general 10% off kind of coupon). So, maybe someone will try something like this before then. I'll try the AVS forums... good suggestion.