View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject: HDTV out
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 9:19 pm 
I recently bought a modest HDTV, 27 inches. It catches the air channels just fine. So my next step is converting my KnoppMyth box to do HDTV. The TV doesn't have DVI connections, so HDMI or component is my only choice.

Browsing around Newegg, they have a bunch of NVidia video cards that have an SVideo-to-component adaptor for their HDTV out. How is the quality on that? I thought SVideo was capped at a low resolution (800x600?), so how would an adapter like this handle 720i/1080i?

Then I see some DVI-to-HDMI or component cables, but I'm not sure my current card (NVidia 6200 LE) is capable of using those. More research is needed here.

Those two are much, much cheaper choices than the last resort of the VGA-to-component converter boxes.

Which do others prefer?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 10:01 am 
I don't thin there is any video card that supports a s-video to component adapter. What you are seeing is s-video to composite. Composite != component.

What wouldn't your videocard be capable of using a DVI to HDMI cable? That should work fine for your setup. You just have to find the correct mode line for your xserver. But that is hardware independent.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 7:12 am 
There are several cards on Newegg with an adapter like this. I thought it was strange, too.

My understanding of the DVI-to-HDMI connections was the video card's DVI port needed be digital, not analog. I had read something like that. Like I said, I need more research on it. I have since found my card maker's web site (eVGA), and it said it has a DVI-I connection, both digital and analog. The cables are relatively cheap (under $20), so it will probably be worthwhile to give it a try. That is, if I can dig through the snow to get out of the house...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 7:34 am 
cjd1 wrote:
There are several cards on Newegg with an adapter like this. I thought it was strange, too.

Humm, I'd like to see the the 's-video' port where this plugs into. I suspect that it has extra conductors built into it. I had an old asus tnt2 card that had a port where you could plug an s-video cable or a proprietary asus cable with extra contacts to hook up a TV tuner.
Quote:
My understanding of the DVI-to-HDMI connections was the video card's DVI port needed be digital, not analog. I had read something like that. Like I said, I need more research on it. I have since found my card maker's web site (eVGA), and it said it has a DVI-I connection, both digital and analog. The cables are relatively cheap (under $20), so it will probably be worthwhile to give it a try. That is, if I can dig through the snow to get out of the house...

That is correct if your DVI post is analog only (DVI-A) then you can't use a DVI->HDMI converter cable. But DVI-I will work fine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 10:09 pm 
Come to think of it, I have what I thought was a Svideo-to-Composite cable, but it had a bunch of extra pins. I'm still not sure what video card it came from. :? That picture I linked comes from a Gigabyte card. There is a picture of the port, and it does have 9 or so pins.