View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 11:11 am 
I've recently upgraded one of my backend systems to give me the horsepower I needed for lots of HDTV goodness. What I've got now is an ASUS M2NPV motherboard with 1 GB DDR2-667 (128 M dedicated to the onboard graphics) and 250 GB SATA 3.0 Gb/s hard drive with a DVICO HDTV Fusion Lite capture card. This is connected to a Hitachi 57" rear projection HDTV. I started out with a base Windows XP install so that I could run Powerstrip and tweak out the settings to give me the best possible ModeLines, but alas, there is still overscan (or whatever you want to call it - the visible portion of the desktop is smaller than the logical size). I've been able to adjust for this in the MythGUI and MythTV thanks to the GUI Offsets and GUI Size fields and anything I'm watching from TV, or that is an MPG, looks perfect. However, anything I've converted to xvid or that is in any other format uses MPlayer, where I'm having problems. Here's my setup for the GUI:

GUI Width = 1145
GUI Height = 680
X Offset = 77
Y Offset = 10

From looking at the MPlayer documentation I should have a few ways to handle this, but I can't seem to get the right combination.

At first I tried:

mplayer -zoom -x 1145 -y 680 -fs -vo xv %s

And that had an effect, but it's not playing 4:3 aspect ratio videos correctly - they are stretched to the sides. 16:9 content works just fine. While this did improve the overall image footprint, it was still cutting off some of the sides. Whenever I try adding -monitoraspect 16:9 back to the arguments list it seems to revert back to full overscan.

Then I tried:

mplayer -zoom -geometry 77:10 -x 1145 -y 680 -fs -vo xv %s

Which didn't seem to really have any effect, though according to the docs it sounded like it should.

How are other people with widescreen displays making these adjustments for MPlayer? How about for Xine - I'm not dead set on MPlayer.

Thanks,
Scott

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 12:20 pm 
under:

setup>setup>appearance>second screen

is user GUI Size for TV Playback checked or unchecked? on mine it is checked and 4.3 and 16.9 are sized correctly. my GUI Width and Height are both set to 0 BTW.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 12:42 pm 
I guess I wasn't clear here... TV playback is perfect, it's MPlayer playback that's not correctly sized.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 6:51 pm 
This is just a guess. Try removing thee full screen switch. I think since the "full" screen is larger than what is being shown on the TV, it overrides the resolution and geometry settings. Tell me if that works.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 1:21 pm 
Without the -full option the video doesn't take up the entire screen (visible area). That's what I'm trying to get a good answer for.

Scott

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 1:39 pm 
It is a little bit of a hack, but if this command

Code:
mplayer -zoom -x 1145 -y 680 -fs -vo xv %s

is getting most of your 16:9 content right. Can you add individual .conf files forcing 4:3 aspect for the 4:3? IE create a filename.avi.conf file in /home/mythtv/.mplayer/

See this post for some examples (make sure to create /home/mythtv/.mplayer/mplayer.conf)

http://mysettopbox.tv/phpBB2/viewtopic. ... highlight=