All times are UTC - 6 hours

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 1:36 pm 
bbear wrote:
'slowtolearn',
I now get smooth playback on HD, but I do see the 'problem' with the pop-ups now being in greyscale. This in itself is not a big problem but the pop-ups make the video and audio stutter very badly. This stuttering seems much worse with R5E50 for some reason. I will do some searching on this forum, hopefully there is a solution to this.

I was having a lot of problems with R5E50 and went to using XvMC but the problems with the stuttering with the overlays was too awful to handle.

However, once I found this topic and made the change suggested there:
http://mysettopbox.tv/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=13550

after upgrading my nvidia driver:
http://mysettopbox.tv/phpBB2/viewtopic. ... highlight=

and went to deinterlacing with kernel and llmpeg (or whatever it's called)
(I also use sync vertical setting, extra audio buffers, and real time threads enabled)
My CPU utilization is less than half then before and silky smoth when the on screen display is up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 3:10 pm 
wow! I was not expecting to see a solution to this so soon. I can't wait to try this on my system.

Thanks so much for for this,

Kevin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 3:26 pm 
'lantz',

I remember now that a couple of weeks ago when I was trying to update to the latest nvidia drivers that when I started the install process that it came back and told me that my old MX440 card needed me to install the latest legacy driver instead.

I wonder if the legacy driver running on the MX440 is going to support this alternative decoding method?

I have been thinking about replacing my video card with a FX5200, but I noticed that 'MrFahrenheit' is using a 6200 card .. is is essential to get a 6200 do you think that the 5200 would support this decoding scheme?

thanks,

Kevin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 5:11 pm 
bbear wrote:
I wonder if the legacy driver running on the MX440 is going to support this alternative decoding method?

I'm sorry, I have no idea at all.

bbear wrote:
I have been thinking about replacing my video card with a FX5200, but I noticed that 'MrFahrenheit' is using a 6200 card .. is is essential to get a 6200 do you think that the 5200 would support this decoding scheme?

According to the supported chipsets listed the 5200 is supported.
http://us.download.nvidia.com/XFree86/L ... dix-a.html

I have a 6100 (onboard motherboard) which works fine, I can't say from personal experience that the 5200 works, but if it's listed in the supported chipsets I don't see why it wouldn't.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 8:54 am 
lantz,
I managed to get the 9746 drivers installed ok. Only hitch was that initially it would not install until I went back and ran 'make' again but left it running for a few minutes before I CTRL-C'd it, after that the install went ok.

I have set the playback options as mentioned in your last post but I still see 95% CPU when playing HD and awful stuttering of the audio and video when I have pop-up's on the screen. Unfortunately for me, this has not helped at all. :cry:

Maybe I am missing something in my xorg.conf? I did remember to add the ‘Option “UseEvents” True”’’ section.

Could you please post the device section of your xorg? Perhaps to keep it concise it would be ok to cut out the modelines section (unless someone thinks that might make a difference to the problem).

BTW I am running a XFX 6200TC AGP8X card now.

thanks,

Kevin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 9:49 am 
i'm with you kevin... had the almost same deal with installing the new drivers, and it hasn't seemed to help me at all. HD playback is fine on the setup below, except when menus are overlaid. then i also get stutters. i'm using an agp card also... could that be the problem?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 10:57 am 
Before, when I was using XvMC the CPU dropped to around 30% playing HD. (without pop-up/overlay)

With this new setup , using the new driver I am back up to the 95% region without overlay. I would like to point out however that my XvMC results were with my old MX440 AGP card.

Tonight I will try XvMC on my new 6200 AGP card. If I still see the same sort of drop in CPU with XvMC using my 6200 card then I would suggest that it is not related to it being AGP.

I am hoping that lantz has someting in the xorg.conf which I am missing, if not then I am back to square one,

Kevin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 11:04 am 
Below is an extract from my xorg.conf, I have hacked out all the sections about fonts, mouse, etc and only included what looks to be related to the video,

Kevin

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Monitor0"
HorizSync 30.0 - 50.0
VertRefresh 60.0
ModeLine "640x350" 31.5 640 672 736 832 350 382 385 445 +hsync -vsync
... < a load more ModeLine's >
Option "DPMS" "true"
Option "TVStandard" "NTSC-M"
Option "ConnectedMonitor" "TV"
Option "TVOutFormat" "SVIDEO"
Option "NoLogo" "1"
Option "TVOverScan" "0.8"
Option "UseEdidDpi" "FALSE"
Option "DPI" "100 x 100"
Option "UseEvents" "True"
EndSection

Section "Device"
# The following line is auto-generated by KNOPPIX mkxf86config
# BusID "PCI:1:0:0"
Identifier "Card0"
Driver "nvidia"
VendorName "All"
BoardName "All"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Screen0"
Device "Card0"
Monitor "Monitor0"
DefaultDepth 24
SubSection "Display"
Depth 1
Modes "800x600" "640x480"
EndSubSection
SubSection "Display"
Depth 4
EndSubSection
SubSection "Display"
Depth 8
EndSubSection
SubSection "Display"
Depth 15
EndSubSection
SubSection "Display"
Depth 16
EndSubSection
SubSection "Display"
Depth 24
EndSubSection
SubSection "Display"
Depth 32
EndSubSection
EndSection

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 11:54 am 
bbear wrote:
lantz,

Maybe I am missing something in my xorg.conf? I did remember to add the ‘Option “UseEvents” True”’’ section.

I'm away from my mythbox for the weekend, but it looks like you put it in the wrong place, it needs to go in the video card device section:

bbear wrote:
Below is an extract from my xorg.conf

Section "Device"
Option "UseEvents" "True"
# The following line is auto-generated by KNOPPIX mkxf86config
# BusID "PCI:1:0:0"
Identifier "Card0"
Driver "nvidia"
VendorName "All"
BoardName "All"
EndSection

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:04 pm 
thanks lantz, I will be only too happy if it was my simple mistake this time, it would be great if that was it. There is still hope. I will try it tonight,

Kevin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 4:46 pm 
lantx,

the following article supports what you were saying ..

http://www.debianhelp.org/node/3146

fingers crossed that this works when I try it tonight,

Kevin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 12:16 am 
bbear wrote:
lantx,

lantz,
actually that article said to put it in the screen section. I have tried it in the screen section, the devices section and the monitor section but nothing helps, my CPU is still at 95% and stuttering.

Tomorrow I will start digging through the logs to see if there are any clues in there as to why this is not working for me,

Kevin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 4:11 am 
bbear wrote:
bbear wrote:
lantx,

lantz,
actually that article said to put it in the screen section. I have tried it in the screen section, the devices section and the monitor section but nothing helps, my CPU is still at 95% and stuttering.

Tomorrow I will start digging through the logs to see if there are any clues in there as to why this is not working for me,

Kevin

Make sure your /etc/X11/XvMCConfig file points to the right location. Do a forum search on XvMCConfig to find out where it should be looking. My XvMCConfig was pointing to a non-existent file after the initial KnoppMyth install.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 11:23 am 
claybo,
thanks for that, but I have already fixed up that path in the config file. Besides, since I am not using XvMC maybe it doesn't matter - best to not to have bad pointer though even if it isn't used.

I have also been through the Xorg.0.log and everything looks ok in there, I can see where it is accepting the "UseEvents" "True", also there are no errors being reported. I haven't a clue why this isn't working for me and I still see my CPU at 95%.

anyone have any ideas?

lantz,
would it be possible to send me a copy of your whole xorg.conf file? You could always PM me,

Kevin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 1:51 pm 
bbear wrote:
lantz,
would it be possible to send me a copy of your whole xorg.conf file? You could always PM me,

Kevin

yeah, might take me a day or two, not around my myth box right now.

L

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next