View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject: UK DVB install on R5E50
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 6:47 pm 
Hi,

I'm a newbie trying to get R5E50 up and running in the UK.. I cant find any instructions on how to get this working on the WIKI. Everything seems to refer to very old versions of Knoppmyth and I wondered if anyone had any pointers.

I've got two Nova-T's - Both seem to be recognised, but I cannot find where I scan for channels? No such command as DVBSCAN and in mythtv-setup which type of card is it?

Thanks for any pointers.. :-(

Cheers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 8:34 pm 
If the cards are detected on boot up, you should see a datablock early on boot up that has red text saying something about Knoppmyth capture cards and two references to Connexant. If this is OK, then the DVB setup is a doddle if you want to use the EIT on air guide only.
When you go into mythtv-setup, in General, 3rd screen set for PAL-I for TV format , VBI PAL Teletext and europe-west for the frequency table.
On the 4th screen activate Cross source EIT, as this allows one channel to fill another channels schedule.

Then in Capture Card, Create new card and set to DVB DTV capture card (v3.x), leave the card number as 0, you should see a mention of the Card being a Nova-T.
If you go to the Recording Options button ensure that both, "Wait for SEQ Header" and "Open DVB Card on Demand" are both checked. I set the DVB Tuning Delay to 50. OK out of that and OK out of the main screen then you should see something like: [DVB:0]
Repeat the above card creation, but set the card number to 1.
So you should see [DVB:0] and [DVB:1], so both of your cards should bow be available.

In Video Sources create a new Source, and give it a name, and set the XMLTV listings grabber to Transmitted Guide Only. This should give you an updated guide for 7days. You can use the Radio Times guide (uk_rt), for up to 13days, this is what I use but I've got a cable source in addition to DVB so it makes sense for me. There might be a divergence here from my description, as I said, I used the RT EPG, so you may need to add another question to this thread. :) You only need 1 Video Source, as this will be applied to both cards.

OK this and it should return you to the main menu, then if you go into Input connections, you need to connect the Video Source to the card. So if you select the first card, you are able to select What video source you are using for each card, in this case the one you defined earlier. The display name is useful if you are watching live TV as you can see what card you are using.
You need to scan for channels, make sure the check box for "Skip Encrypted channels is set". If you select a full scan it will take some time, but you should see the list of the stations appearing. You may get duplications, if you have lower powered signals available from other transmitters. After the can is hopefully successful, exit out and OK the main window.
Set the starting channel (normally 1), then exit.
Select the second card and select the Video Source as above, this should automatically set the starting channel. You don't need to do a rescan as the transports (Muxes) are already set up.
So exit and go to the main menu.

In the Channel Editor you need to enter the transport editor, there should be a list of transports available at specific frequencies, unfortunately it's not obvious which transport is associated with what Frequency Channel and so what muxes are available from what transmitter.
Ususally if they are really bad, the 3 sets of digits in brackets are set to 0, after highlighting it use the "d" to delete it.
Exit the Transport Editor, go through each of the channels ensuring each of the Channels has their Enable EIT set up, along with setting if they are visible or not, or if they are Channel with commercials.
After going through them, Exit the channel editor then exit mythtv-setup.

This should then go through picking up 1 day EPG, then back into mythtv setup, then exit, it should then ask some questions in the text window.
after this is complete, the frontend should start.

If you go into Manage Recordings->Schedule Recordings->Programme Guide, it should show a populated EPG.
Oh, I would recommend going into Utilities/Setup->Setup->TV Settings->Playback->9th Screen and setting "Enable Interactive TV", as this allows the onscreen graphics for radio stations to be enabled.

Hopefully this is some use to you.

Bruce S.

Hauppauage Nova-T 500, Nova-T LinHes R8.6.1