View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:53 am 
I can get all channels but 1 fine. I end up 'recording' but actually getting a 0 length file and no recording at all. All of this usually happens dispite a good signal (90%+). I can tune to the channel and half the time it locks, the other half no. And while the signal looks OK, the 'BE' gives some odd numbers. Other channel BE goes to 0 when it locks, but this one channel never seems to go to 0.

I'm using a Zenith SS indoor and get fine signal on all other channels. I've tried playing with the location and all, but it doesn't seem to help. I did note that this No-Lock problem increased (but didn't begin) when I split the signal from the antenna to go to my 2nd capture card.

I don't know if I should play with the 'tuning' for this station. I don't know what the BE means (haven't seen much about it). Do I need another antenna? An amplifier?

TIA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 10:55 am 
I would assume BE means Bit Error (Rate).
Is it possible that this channel is encrypted? Is this channel on it's own Mux (Transport)? Do you know that is this channel from your local transmitter and is not resulting from a marginal signal from a more distant one?
Is there a site available that gives transmitter info and frequencies for your location like Wolfbane for the UK?
The problem with amplifiers as they amplify noise as well, the best setup is to have a good quality directional external aerial (antenna) away from sources of interference, pointing towards your transmitter and a run of good quality co-ax cable to your receiver. Though as I understand this may be an issue in the US, do you normally pick up transmissions from multiple transmitter location?
If you are going to amplify, it's really should be close to the antenna as possible, to minimise cable signal loss and stop amplifying noise generated by the system. But it's usually better getting a better aerial/aerial location, than relying on amplification.

Bruce S.

Hauppauage Nova-T 500, Nova-T LinHes R8.6.1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:41 am 
Thanks for the tips Bruce.

The channel is not encrypted, but an OTA station. Where I live, all the major local stations come off a mountain which I have 'near clear' line of sight. (In fact that's why I tried the indoor antenna in the first place.) As for the Mux, I don't know if this is what your looking for but there are two HD channels that come from this station 5_1 & 5_5(?) which is an all music station that exhibits the same 'No Lock' charactoristics (however I don't record the music so it's not a problem). AntennaWeb.org says I'm 15 miles away from the transmitter and the frequency I'm trying to lock is 31.

I haven't tried replacing the main coax cable before the splitter, this is the one that came with the antenna. The 2 new coax' are 1 foot each as I was trying to keep them short.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 1:02 pm 
I don't know if this is the case in the US, but in the UK aerials are usually "grouped" to certain frequency ranges to ensure that out of area transmitters cannot interfere with local transmitters. Is it likely that your antenna might be marginal for this particular channel?
Also, is it likely that analogue transmissions might be broadcasting from a different transmitter on that channel?

Bruce S.

Hauppauage Nova-T 500, Nova-T LinHes R8.6.1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 1:24 pm 
Just looking at the direction and distance, I don't see a differance in the analog or digital transmission specs. So I'd guess that they are coming from the same location. It is possible that I'm on the fringe of my reception for this channel, but AntennaWeb says that I should be OK at 15 miles and other channels at this distance and direction are fine.

But I'm am willing to look for an outdoor antenna if it will clear up this problem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 5:56 pm 
Does annteniaweb say if it is uhf or vhf?

Most HD channels are UHF but, there are a few that arn't. If you are using a UHF antennia and that channels is VHF that could be your problem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:38 pm 
datobin1 wrote:
Does annteniaweb say if it is uhf or vhf?

Most HD channels are UHF but, there are a few that arn't. If you are using a UHF antennia and that channels is VHF that could be your problem.

They are all UHF. However...

I did some playing with the antenna when I got home. I positioned it to where I can get 95-99% signal and 0 BE, but no lock only 'PartialLock'. I note that the data within the brackets (LA_gV) is incomplete for this channel as opposed to the other lockable channels. I'm now wondering what this means? Does this have something to do with signal or data error?

I did some further digging about frequency range. AntennaWeb says that the channel I'm having problems with is freq 31. I tried the channel broadcasting on freq 32 and it Locks. I tried freq 29 and the same problem! Can't get this channel (46.1 on freq 29) either, same 'PartialLock' and (LA_gV) brackets. I've been googling to see what the low freq limit on this antenna is but everything I've read seems to indicate that I should be OK.

It's strange that I can Lock maybe 1 time in 5 tries, and the PQ looks great. But I just can't always get a picture.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:23 am 
Just noticed this note from the mythtv docs page about the Letters in the Brackets. I'm getting lowercase letters when I get a PartialLock so this must be the problem. Signal seen but not Good even at 99% signal strength.

Last night I played with the FineTune setting turning up in both (1) and then (10) increments, but to no avail.

I'll look into getting an outdoor antenna to see if there is a difference.

(any other input is welcome.)