View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Go to page 1, 2  Next

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 9:31 pm 
I have analog cable and get analog channels as well as the 3 local qam channels. I have a fusion hdtv5 rt gold card that I originally used with their software in windows. It pulled in the analog and the digital channels fine but using knoppmyth I can't seem to replicate this same situation. Zap2it seems to be having an effect in mythtv since it is only setup for the analog stations an their is no reference for myth to pair the digital channels to the zap2it guide. How can I get mythtv to do the same thing as the fusion software did under windows? Also I have looked at mythtv archives but know solution was found.
Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:43 am 
You'll need an additional lineup at Zap2It for broadcast - See my post in http://mysettopbox.tv/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=13332

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 8:28 am 
Thanks for the reply!
I have a question...when I scan the ATSC channels, the signal strength is always 0 when it adds a channel. Then when I goto watch tv I get a blank screen. What am I doing wrong. I followed the setup as you outlined, separate antenna listing and so forth. The guide comes up unkown without any video. I saw where you can edit the station and assign xml id but this doesn't do anything either. Would you be able to give any more detail on how to set this up so that I can get this going? It would be greatly apprecaited.
In the 1. General section I set it to ATSC...this is correct? Whether I'm just using hdtv or a combination of hdtv and analog tv?
Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:42 am 
williammanda wrote:
Thanks for the reply!
I have a question...when I scan the ATSC channels, the signal strength is always 0 when it adds a channel. Then when I goto watch tv I get a blank screen. What am I doing wrong.
Most likely you haven't set the scan options appropriately
Quote:
* That your "Frequency table" is set correctly (same as for your PVR-x50s)
* "ATSC Modulation" is correct (most likely QAM-256)
* Change "Channel Separator" to whatever is valid for you - Try whatever Zap2It shows you first, you may have to play with this.
You'll need to play with those settings to find the right combination.

williammanda wrote:
In the 1. General section I set it to ATSC...this is correct? Whether I'm just using hdtv or a combination of hdtv and analog tv?
Thanks
I don't believe this has made any difference on my setup (R5D1), but I'm not near my boxen at this point so I'll have to check after work.

Where are you located, and are you using Comcast?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 6:37 pm 
I'm on comcast in chattanooga TN
Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 7:12 pm 
OK, so you know that Comcast strips out the channel data (I see you've been involved in some of the related threads here). I don't know what that affects as I am on BrightHouse (TimeWarner). A search for Comcast on this forum should get you going there.

Do you have an HDTV antenna? My Fusion HDTV5 Lite came with one so I was able to do an OTA scan, just to see what was available (and to make sure my card was functioning). That should narrow down your possibile culprits.

BTW, I checked and found I have "TV format" set to NTSC.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 7:57 pm 
I know everything is working. I use the hdtv5 rt gold card in windows with the fusion software. I have no issues there. I get the local analog and HDTV channels with a problem. My problem is figuring out how to use mythtv. That is the help I need the most. It seems to me that there is some bit of information being lost here. I am very computer literati but my specific knowledge of linux and mythtv are lacking.
What makes sense to me me, is that you have to have video/sound to get to the point where you can start to apply the possible xml id's. But since I'm not getting video/sound, that is where I need to focus. I know my stations are being sent in qam 256 based on what I have seen using the fusion software (it tells me also which stations are encrypted), so following the info you have given and what I know so far isn't working. If you can tell me something more, that would greatly be apprecaited.
Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:11 pm 
OK, so let's take 2 steps back and see what we have. We know you have a Fusion HDTV5 Gold card that works with the supplied Windoze software. We also know that you need to scan for QAM-256. That's good.
* Have you created the additional lineup at Zap2It for broadcast (for the QAM stations)?
* Have you bound that lineup to one of your Video Sources in mythtv-setup?
* Have you assigned that video source to your Fusion input in mythtv-setup?
* Have you tried different Frequency tables and Channel separators in the Channel scan?

I really can't tell from your replies whether you went through the procedures outlined in http://mysettopbox.tv/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=13332 or not - If you could tell us how far you got in those steps it may help. I have outlined what worked for me in R5D1 - As far as I know, those steps have not changed in R5E50.

I still don't know what affect Comcast has on this issue, so if it's strictly a problem with Comcast not providing the channel data then I'm sorry, I can't help you there. I have seen a number of posts here from folks who are on Comcast, perhaps they can help in that respect.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 10:08 pm 
* Have you created the additional lineup at Zap2It for broadcast (for the QAM stations)?
Yes
* Have you bound that lineup to one of your Video Sources in mythtv-setup?
Yes
* Have you assigned that video source to your Fusion input in mythtv-setup?
Yes
* Have you tried different Frequency tables and Channel separators in the Channel scan?
Only two so far: minus & none

At this point, while i'm trying the different separators, I should hopefully get video/audio correct? before moving on to apply the xml id's?
Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 8:09 am 
It occurs to me that the problem may stem from something much earlier on - How do you have this card setup? As a DVB, or something else? This page may reveal the issue http://wiki.knoppmyth.net/index.php?pag ... WatchingTV

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:50 am 
Here is what I have setup
1. General - ATSC and NTSC (tried both) & US-cable
2. Capture Cards - DVB (sees both the fusion & pchdtv)
3. Video Source - I have 3 guides setup: analog, digital, and antenna. I'm using the antenna.
4. Input connections - Setup for the televison (not svideo, etc..). Separator - I have tried all available (none, - , . , etc...). Qam 256 and cable (although there are several others such as cable hrc, cable lrc, etc..I might have to try one of them).
From this point I scan for channels. I usaully lock in about 25 channels (80 - 98 not listing sub channels here) but the signal strength always stays at 0. I then start mythtv and select watch tv and recieve no video or sound. I try one station I know which 90-1 (or whatever separator in used).
I know the card works and I know myth tv works. The fusion card gets used everyday in windows when I'm not playing with this system. I have used a pvr-150 in mythtv and recieved all my analog channels fine. I went and bought an antenna and setup mythtv and recieved 1 local digital channel (locked in with video & audio).
So hopefully this info lets you know that I should have some kind of experience with mythtv and getting it to work.
What you are asking to me to do is to trick mythtv into thinking it is getting the guide data so it will show video where the other two examples of how I setup mythtv were the way it was intended to be.
I still believe there is something you have done that I'm not getting or there is something else at play here that we are both not aware of.
Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 1:41 pm 
williammanda wrote:
3. Video Source - I have 3 guides setup: analog, digital, and antenna. I'm using the antenna.
4. Input connections - Setup for the televison (not svideo, etc..). Separator - I have tried all available (none, - , . , etc...). Qam 256 and cable (although there are several others such as cable hrc, cable lrc, etc..I might have to try one of them).
From this point I scan for channels. I usaully lock in about 25 channels (80 - 98 not listing sub channels here) but the signal strength always stays at 0.
Set your Frequency table to whatever you used when you got your channels tuned in with the PVR-150 - Same cable, same frequency, as far as I know.
Are you using a splitter on this cable? I couldn't scan channels on my el cheapo Radio Shack splitter, but it works fine through one from the cable company. And yes, I had tested my card in a Windoze box to be sure there wasn't something wrong with the card - Worked fine.

williammanda wrote:
What you are asking to me to do is to trick mythtv into thinking it is getting the guide data so it will show video where the other two examples of how I setup mythtv were the way it was intended to be.
Huh?? I've walked you through the steps I took to get my Fusion Lite card working, no tricks here.

williammanda wrote:
I still believe there is something you have done that I'm not getting or there is something else at play here that we are both not aware of.
Thanks
Obviously. Try those other Frequency tables. Again, the fact that you are on Comcast may be playing a role in all of this, I don't know.

EDIT : Are you sure Comcast in your area is QAM-256? See http://mysettopbox.tv/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=13851 /EDIT

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 2:10 pm 
slowtolearn wrote:
williammanda wrote:
From this point I scan for channels. I usaully lock in about 25 channels (80 - 98 not listing sub channels here) but the signal strength always stays at 0.
Set your Frequency table to whatever you used when you got your channels tuned in with the PVR-150 - Same cable, same frequency, as far as I know.
Are you using a splitter on this cable? I couldn't scan channels on my el cheapo Radio Shack splitter, but it works fine through one from the cable company. And yes, I had tested my card in a Windoze box to be sure there wasn't something wrong with the card - Worked fine.

williammanda wrote:
Huh?? I've walked you through the steps I took to get my Fusion Lite card working, no tricks here.
Not intended to offend but to get a point across that mythtv is being manipulated to get a desired result.

williammanda wrote:
Thanks
Obviously. Try those other Frequency tables. Again, the fact that you are on Comcast may be playing a role in all of this, I don't know.

EDIT : Are you sure Comcast in your area is QAM-256? See http://mysettopbox.tv/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=13851 /EDIT

According to the fusion software, it shows that the stations it recieves are qam 256.
Thanks for all your help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 6:16 pm 
I can't say with any certainty, but a cursory search for "Comcast data" on these forums leads me to believe that you may have to go the manual route - See http://mysettopbox.tv/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=8104 for starters, there are many others on other forums (for example: http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Ad ... uner_Cards)
I would definitely spend some time with the various scan options before I went down that road!

Hope you get it worked out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 1:03 pm 
Using Comcast in Knoxville with a HD-5500 card, I had to select Cable IRC and QAM256 to get the HD channels to work. Although I have had no luck with Analog channels.

Go to page 1, 2  Next