View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 9:36 am 
Anyone had any luck getting either of the above mentioned HD USB sticks working on Knoppmyth (both are basically the same unit)? I picked up a couple on the cheap and was hoping it would be, if you'll excuse the expression, plug and play. I did find a couple sites that mention grabbing some 'murcurial' package or other. I followed the Debian install instructions but when I went to compile the driver I got some message about entering the linux source folder and then leaving it. I'm not in front of the machine right now or I'd post the output. Anyway, if anyone has had success with either of these please let me know.

Thanks!
Gonz

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 12:24 pm 
The install instructions were updated, but still no love:

http://www.marcushellberg.com/pages/projects/digital-tv-in-linux.php

Every time I get to the point of running the 'make' I end up with:

creating symbolic links...
make -C /lib/modules/2.6.18-chw-13/build SUBDIRS=/home/mythtv/v4l-dvb-kernel/v4l modules
make[1]: Entering directory '/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.18-chw-13'
make[1]: *** No rule to make target 'modules. Stop.
make[1]: Leaving directory '/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.18-chw-13'
make: *** [default] Error 2

Any clues to what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks,
Gonz

Post subject: Tried But Died
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 9:14 am 
This thread might help.

http://www.isely.net/pipermail/pvrusb2/ ... 01458.html

I'm in the US and it didn't work for me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 2:22 pm 
I never did have any luck getting my Pinnacle Pro Stick(s) configured. Now that R5F1 is out, I notice in the changelog a line reading:

Added v4l-dvb mercurial drivers (drivers in /usr/src/debs, please installed with dpkg --force-overwrite -i /usr/src/debs/v4l2-dvb_0d8665c378a4-1_i386.deb && depmod -a. Reboot and ensure your cards still work!)

I believe the mercurial drivers have something to do with getting these particular devices working, correct? I followed the above but dpkg couldn't find the driver. Inspection of the install confirms that it is not in that folder after a fresh F1 install. Ugh.

Gonz

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 9:12 pm 
Ok, so it turns out after some playing that I just don't know what the heck I'm doing. I did an "apt-get install gcc" and ran through the instructions here:

http://lunapark6.com/usb-hdtv-tuner-stick-for-windows-linux-hauppauge-wintv-hvr-950.html

What do ya know. I now have an ATSC USB tuner and am watching some ultra jerky HD video (not Myth's fault, I need a better antena). Life is good again. :)

Thanks all!

Gonz

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 9:26 pm 
DrGonzo wrote:
What do ya know. I now have an ATSC USB tuner and am watching some ultra jerky HD video (not Myth's fault, I need a better antena). Life is good again. :)

Thanks all!

Gonz

Gonz,

Are you watching HDTV the U.S?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 10:54 pm 
Sort of... Until I get my attic antena wired downstairs to my myth box I'm stuck with what little signal I can pick up. I have video though and a detected device.

Gonz

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 8:02 am 
This is great news. I've been looking for a USB stick HD solution for a while. I like the idea of not having another power supply plugged in to run an external USB box and this stick fits the bill.

Any chance of you adding a page on the KM wiki detailing your install?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 10:01 am 
Probably... I haven't done one yet, but I'll try to figure it out tonight when I get home. Before that, maybe someone can help me understand something. I followed the instructions on this site:

http://lunapark6.com/usb-hdtv-tuner-stick-for-windows-linux-hauppauge-wintv-hvr-950.html

What was causing my problem was that gcc needed to be installed (at least that's how I got it to work). The only weird thing is when I apt-get install gcc my 'apt-get' gets messed up and it won't let me use it anymore. It's like gcc gets partially installed and won't let me do anything else until it's resolved. There was a message suggesting I run with a -f parameter but that doesn't seem to clean it up.

Anyway, my revised instructions (mostly stolen from the link above) look like this. As stated above, gcc has to be after mercurial or you won't be able to pull it down.

Code:
su root

apt-get install mercurial

apt-get install gcc

cd /lib/firmware

wget http://konstantin.filtschew.de/v4l-firmware/firmware_v4.tgz

tar xvzf firmware_v4.tgz

hg clone http://linuxtv.org/hg/~mrechberger/v4l-dvb-kernel-history

cd v4l-dvb-kernel-history

make

make install

reboot

After the reboot you should be able to go into mythtv-setup and add it as DVB. As soon as I get my antena situation resolved I'll be throwing a 2nd one on my test box and eventually throw it all on my prod box with the 4 PVRx50s. :D

Later,
Gonz

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 11:09 am 
Nice write up. Too bad about it 'breaking' apt-get though.

Have you tried the stick with QAM? I was wondering if it is just OTA or QAM too. The reason is this from the above link.

Quote:
...receive both free “over the air� HDTV broadcasts and analog cable televsion broadcasts...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 9:00 am 
I haven't tried it yet, but I'm guessing not. It has an analog 'soft' tuner built in, but I don't think it's been implemented in the linux driver. OTA HD is all we're going to get I think. If I get some time this weekend I'll try to plug it into my cable and verify though. QAM would be sweet.

Not to highjack my own thread, but has anyone looked at the Pinnacle PCTV To Go HD Wireless? I saw it at our local Circuit City last night and it appears to have the ability to digitally record from component inputs. I didn't think that was possible because of the huge amount of data it would have to convert? If this is the case you could plug your cable box into it and record otherwise encrypted HD channels, right? Currently it integrates with Media Center only, but an interesting piece of hardware none the less.

http://www.pinnaclesys.com/PublicSite/us/Products/Consumer+Products/PCTV+Tuners/PCTV+Analog_Digital+PVR/PCTV+To+Go+HD+Wireless.htm

Later,
Gonz