View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 12:45 pm 
Hello All,
I have a standard definition/analog MythTV setup based on the Hauppauge PVR-350 that works great. But I’d like to swap out the PVR-350 and install either a HDHomeRun or pcHDTV 5500 instead so that I can tune in all the digital cable channels that I have on Comcast digital cable and more easily program MythTV to tune to a specific channel and record. I only have 1 PCI slot in this box. Actually... I realize that if I use the HDHomeRun I could leave the Haupauge PVR-350 in the system.

I don't subscribe to any "premium" channels so I am hoping that I can tune most of the digital cable channels that I get. Currently, I run an S-video cable out of the back of the motorola DCT 6200 into the PVR-350 so I can record all channels that are coming through the set top box - if any are encrypted (not sure) then the set top box deccrypts them before it gets to the PVR 350. I never mastered channel changing on the DCT 6200 though...

One thing puzzles me however; Neither the pcHDTV 5500 or the HDHomeRun comes with a remote control. What is the best remote control to use to control MythTV if I do not have the Hauppauge PVR-350 in the system? Is there one that you would recommend?

My understanding is that both the pcHDTV 5500 and the HDHomeRun will also tune all the old analog channels as well as the new digital QAM channels, is that rigth? Which device is likely to be the most trouble-free/straightforward to set up and use? Are there other devices I should consider instead?

Incidentally, although I display MythTV though the 350 now - I plan to format the box and install KnopMyth. The 350 quality is great - but I have already bought an nvidia 6200 based agp card (from the KRP list) which I plan to use in the new system.

Thanks,

Kevin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 7:54 pm 
FWIW I'd keep the 350 and add the HDHomerun. While the pcHDTV card can tune analog TV signals, it does not do hardware MPEG2 transcoding like your Happauge card. Instead it relies on the CPU to convert the files to MPEG.

I don't think the HDHomerun will tune analog channels at all, but I could be wrong about that as I haven't bought mine yet. ;)

Joe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 8:27 pm 
Liv2Cod wrote:
I don't think the HDHomerun will tune analog channels at all, but I could be wrong about that as I haven't bought mine yet. ;)
Joe

HDHR does not tune analog, closet you will get is SD QAM channels broadcast.

I use a HDhomerun as it picks up most of my major network stations in HD and SD, plus a few cable channels in QAM. I also use a firewire port for my 3rd tuner which is connected to a DCT-6200. The STB gets my cable HD channels that are QAM encrypted, such as Discovery, Mojo, and others.

For remote, The HDhomerun has a built in IR reciever, I use this with my old PVR-150 remote.
http://www.silicondust.com/wiki/hdhomer ... ons/mythtv

I couldn't get HDHR reciver working with any remote other than Haupuage, but I didn't try too hard either.

There isn't a guide for setting up the IR receiver specific to KM but is easy just modifying the hardware.conf file a little.

My suggestion is get a $20 firewire PCI card and cable.

Note- I run SVN and firewire priming scripts for stability.

Post subject: DCT 6200
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:40 pm 
Very cool. I may evolve my system to be very similar to yours. I actually have firewire built into the motherboard of this computer - but I have not taken the time to try and get it to work again on a more recent myth build.

I've heard varying reports on firewire recoding reliability. Do you find that it works reliably? Will the most recent Knoppmyth work with the DCT6200 out of the box or was a lot of extra patching required?

Just curious - if you can get firewire working - what extra abilities does the HDHomeRun give you - just the ability to watch one channel while recording a different one?

Thanks again.

Post subject: Re: DCT 6200
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 5:34 am 
klkitts wrote:
I actually have firewire built into the motherboard of this computer - but I have not taken the time to try and get it to work again on a more recent myth build.

I've heard varying reports on firewire recoding reliability. Do you find that it works reliably? Will the most recent Knoppmyth work with the DCT6200 out of the box or was a lot of extra patching required?

Just curious - if you can get firewire working - what extra abilities does the HDHomeRun give you - just the ability to watch one channel while recording a different one?

Thanks again.

I can't say I used firewire on R5F1 very long before upgrading to SVN. I use this script via cron to keep the DCT-6200 alive
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/m ... ers/278757

Before using the script there were some problems with box not being alive. Biggest issue was after KM reboots I had to prime the firewire port via command line.

Last recording to fail was b/c my wife changed channel on STB while recording. About 15 programs are recorded per week on the firewire tuner.

The HDHR are my 1 and 2 tuners, firewire is 3. During the fall season comes in handy being able to record 3 HD shows at same time.

Post subject: DCT 6200/Firewire
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 12:05 pm 
Thanks for the info - most apprec.!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 7:02 pm 
I have a dumb question for you guys, does the HDHR need to be controlled by IR? I'd like to stick it in the closet with my other stuff and then send the signals over the network to Myth. Can Myth control it just like it does with the built in tuners?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 7:34 pm 
ik632 wrote:
I have a dumb question for you guys, does the HDHR need to be controlled by IR? I'd like to stick it in the closet with my other stuff and then send the signals over the network to Myth. Can Myth control it just like it does with the built in tuners?

Nope, Control is over the network. There is a limit of how may router hops the HDHR can be away from the BE though.

Works just like any other tuner R5F1 detects/installs during setup.
I heart the HDHR.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 1:12 pm 
Thanks spa|V| that's what I was hoping. My myth box died (motherboard crapped out) and now I need to decide what to do. I have 2 air2pc rev 0.2 a pcHDTV 3000, pvr 250 and 500 but I want to slim it down to one machine with just the 500 and the 3000 and an HDHR. I suspect that I may have overworked an already old board (Asus A7N8X Deluxe from 2002).