View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:22 pm 
I'm in Kettering, Ohio and have Time-Warner cable. In setting up my Fusion 5 Gold card, I decided to try scanning the cable signal to see what could be picked up.

I scanned all three QAM settings, and at 64 and 128 supposedly detected a number of frequencies, but in trying to tune them I'd get a 'partial lock.' Of course, no HD data was present to allow channel mapping, et cetera.

Next I scanned at 256, and supposedly found a number of frequencies as well. Out of all the things found, I saw three stations with sufficient data transmitted to map them--a Cincinnati PBS station (and a subcarrier), and two Dayton stations (one subcarrier).

I understand that some cable companies don't pass along all the necessary data, and sometimes strip off what's there. Would it seem logical that they'd only strip some stations and not others? Would they send some streams at 64 and some at 256?

Also, if anyone's already gone through this and has a successful setup, I'd love to hear about it. And, if anyone had to work out their own channel map and would be willing to share, that'd be great also... :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 8:33 am 
I have Comcast in California. My experience was that 2-3 channels had sufficient info to be auto-identified; the ~27 others did not. I found all my channels on QAM256. I did find a small number of channels on another "band" (don't recall which), but they were dup's of what I had tuned in on QAM256.

****EDIT**** Everything below this point added after my original post

There are some published "working" QAM layouts:

1. The mythtv wiki has one at http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Wo ... ble_layout

2. I believe that the HDhomerun folks also publish one -- I never bookmarked it so you'll need to poke around to find out.

Marc

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:49 am 
marc.aronson wrote:
2. I believe that the HDhomerun folks also publish one -- I never bookmarked it so you'll need to poke around to find out.

Here ya go:
http://www.silicondust.com/wiki/hdhomerun/location_programs

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 6:51 am 
Thanks for the pointers! For my zip code, the only thing that is 'solid' is the over-the-air info (which I don't need). THe digital cable info appears to be for Cincinnati cable, and most of that is marked 'unknown.' Oh, well--I 'spose I'll need to chart my own.

Interesting info from a TV engineer at work, though, who knows some people at the local Tim-Warner. It seems that they're making a transition to QAM-512 and the entire cable industry seems to be moving toward QAM-1024. Our cable tuners will need an upgrade, it seems...