View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Go to page Previous  1, 2

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 7:42 pm 
ceenvee703 wrote:
That's why the Hauppauge is more intriguing: since it records via component it avoids any broadcast flags the provider is setting (i.e. the "analog" hole that ChapmanI mentioned, except he spelled analog wrong :) .

Actually I used the Non-US, correct in my country (and the rest of the world) spelling.

To quote Wikipedia:
In the U.S., the spellings analog and analogue are interchangeable for the noun (except, for example, in the literary sense above); the adjective is usually spelled analog. In the rest of the English-speaking world the spelling is usually analogue for both noun and adjective

I also spell color as colour, and pronounce schedule as "shed" not "sked".

There are may words that are spelled differently, usually in a shortened form in the US vs rest of the world, or at least the British Commonwealth. Many of the US spellings were introduced by Samual Webster, due to his nationalistic "spelling reform" bent.

For more on those differences, see the Wikipedia article "American and British English spelling differences"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:41 pm 
Honestly I think old Sam didn't go far enough. I've been delighted in my travels by the number of places where the spelling of words actually matches the pronunciation because it wasn't frozen at some arbitrary point 4-5 centuries ago while the language was still in violent flux and suffering the linguistic equivalent of multiple personality disorder. ;-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:55 pm 
ChapmanI wrote:
Actually I used the Non-US, correct in my country (and the rest of the world) spelling...

Dude, I was kidding, hence the smiley face. Sorry, next time I try to make a joke I'll surround it with <joke></joke> tags.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 6:45 pm 
Lets just say that spelling has never been a strong point for me. Back in school, I lost many a mark for errant words. And we won't even comment on deductions for the chicken scratch that passes as my handwriting. (My grade five teacher told me to learn typing the first chance I could.)

When spelling checker programmes appeared in the 80's I kissed the 5 1/4 inch floppy discs on which they came. No wait, I think my first was on a cassette tape in about 79. Yes back in those olden days, spell check was a separate programme, through which you ran your plain text file, before applying HTML like open/close formatting codes.

While my spelling has gotten better, by virtue of having to pick the correct word from the spell checkers suggestions, it's still a struggle for me. I usually craft forum postings in a text editor, spell check it there, paste it into the "post a reply" form, and give extra attention to the words the forum software highlights. In other words, it's a lot of work to keep from appearing like a moronic boob who can't spell worth beans.

So maybe my sensitivities were a little high, and I took the smiley as more snide than joke.

Oh, and yes this message contains more of those odd, non US spellings.

Last edited by ChapmanI on Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 8:33 pm 
ChapmanI wrote:
My grade five teacher told me to learn typing the first chance I could.

LOL! My Grade six teacher said, "You better hope you can get a good enough job that you can have a secretary to check your spelling for you."

That statement seems so un-politically correct today.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 7:29 am 
I was always a good speller, and I still remember how mad I was in grade school for getting one word wrong on a spelling test. I spelled it "theatre" instead of "theater" and I knew that it was a perfectly correct way to spell it in England and elsewhere. So I guess there's some poetic justice there or something.

So yes, I watched enough Monty Python and The Prisoner back in the 60s and 70s to know about the various British spellings. We were just in London with our kids a few weeks ago and ran down the list of alternative words with them: bobby, lorry, boot, bonnet, biscuit, I'm sure I'm leaving many out.

Anyhow, back to our regularly scheduled (pronounced shed-uled) programme. <joke></joke>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 3:10 pm 
You also need to know the words that mean COMPLETELY different things between here and there.

We had a bunch of prospective clients over from England. During a Lunch break, the conversation turned to clothing; one of our Engineers mentioned how he liked to wear suspenders, and the particular suspenders he was wearing that day was a Christmas present from his Mom.

As it turns out "suspenders" is British for "garter" -- The Brits did an admirable job of not snickering out loud. I heard later that they had quite a laugh at the poor engineers expense later.

Go to page Previous  1, 2