View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:14 pm 
R5F27

I am using an HDHomeRun for ATSC and a Hauppauge NOVA-S Plus for DVB-S.

When I switch from an ATSC channel to a DVB channel with the guide (did not try direct channel number entry), the rotor will not move to the correct position#. The system will change to the DVB tuner, but it will not move the rotor and it will simply tune whatever DVB channel had been tuned last. However, once I'm on the DVB tuner, I can switch from channel to channel and the rotor will change positions with no problem. This is not so bad for live TV because all you have to do is pick the proper channel twice when going from ATSC to DVB. However, I believe it will cause problems with unattended recordings.

Example: WMQF FOX on DVB position 17. Qubo on DVB position 25. Tuned to WMQF, rotor was already at 17. Everything is cool, channel came up.
Now, used guide to change to ATSC channel 47-1, then pulled up guide again to change channel to qubo. Rotor stays at position 17 and tunes WMQF instead of moving to position 25 and tuning to qubo. However, at this point I can tell it AGAIN to go to qubo (using guide) and it will change positions and tune the correct channel. Weird. It is like when coming from the ATSC channel to DVB, all it does is change cards and not even care about tuning to a channel. It just changes cards and that is it.

So, I have tried a few things such as increasing the priority number on the input connections for the DVB card to be greater than the HDHomeRun. I've also changed the diseqc repeat from 1 to 5 on the DVB card setup. Additionally, I've increased the tuning delay on the DVB card from 0ms to 2000ms. Still no luck.

I did try one more thing. Instead of having two input connections for the DVB card, I created a second DVB card, thus each having one input connection. When I tried to tune to a channel, it would tell me that all available inputs were being used, event though I was on ATSC and nothing was recording. So, I'm still at a loss.

Maybe related...maybe not. The backend seems sluggish. It takes it a good minute or so after starting the backend for the frontend to connect to it (even though they are on the same machine). I followed the instructions in the wiki for altering the backend settings when setting it up for clients.

Any suggestions on the DVB stuff?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:56 pm 
Please explain your rotor hardware setup.

I have been trying to hack-in the old-fashioned OTA antenna rotor support for ATSC/DVB tuners, and likewise for the old NTSC tuners.

If you're able to use DiSceq??, that's great, but I've just got a rotor with an IR controller. There's a thread in the hardware section that I'm putting my notes in.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 7:02 am 
I'm using a diseqc rotor (actually, a 36V DC Positioner, the VBOX II).
This is connected directly to my DVB-S card. That's about it. Just a positioner box connected to the card. The positioner box then connects to the dish's LNBF. I can switch from DVB channel to DVB channel and the rotor moves like it should, but if I switch to a DVB channel from an ATSC card, the computer only changes to the DVB card, it doesn't do any tuning whatsoever after switching to the DVB card.

I also have an IR capable rotor for OTA, but it just sits parked about 10 degrees off of north so I can get Fox HD 70+ miles away since the one about 20 miles away is broadcasting at ridiculously low power. Running a Winegard 9095 into a CM7777 pre-amp. RG-11 coax all the way.

I ran across your thread asking which branch to tie to in order to hack myth, but I hadn't seen any notes. Are you trying to get an irblaster to work when changing ATSC channels? Works great for changing STB channels.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 7:43 am 
Here's the OTA rotor thread:

http://www.knoppmyth.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=17626

You say that you're using DVB-S. My focus is on the DVB-T side, but the code base for DVB channel changing is the same. It's a mess, but I'm trying. The DiSeqc code is in there, but I don't have a clue how it works. Sounds like you may have to rebuild the DiSeqc control database...maybe delete the tuner, then re-add it?

I did realize that myth doesn't do much 'tuning' if you're changing channels on the same DVB multiplex, and the initial backend startup does a tune of the first channel. This doesn't help when you're trying to add an external channel changer to the same code.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 11:24 am 
Yeah, I see your point there. Apparently, if the channel is on the same mux, Myth just has to grab another set of PIDs because obviously it is already tuned to the correct frequency / symbol rate for the mux.

Yes, I have noticed that once the backend starts up, the card is activated and it sends out the diseqc rotor commands for whatever channel is first even though watching TV has not been started yet. This always ends up being the first DVB channel that I see when selecting a DVB channel from the guide after starting the whole PC. Once I'm actually using the DVB card, channel changing and rotor moving is seemless. Everything works perfectly. But woe to the man who goes back to an ATSC channel and then tries to go back to a DVB channel. No matter what DVB channel I select, it always goes to the last tuned channel (presumably because once myth changes to the dvb card, it doesn't try to tune the channel that I selected from the guide).

Just a thought about your setup. Might be crude, but would not involve the task of patching softwares. Perhaps could you use a diseqc rotor with the mast oriented vertically to act like an OTA antenna rotor? Once you have positions stored in it, would it not act like a normal rotator for your antenna? Of course, getting the mast plumb is the key there. I used a STABHH120 for my 1.2meter solid dish in the wind and it held up great. I think one would work great for an OTA antenna. Of course, you are limited to about 160degrees rotation at best.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 5:35 pm 
I have installed 0.21 and this issue is fixed.