View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 1:07 pm 
Hello,
I've been a (knopp)mythtv users for 3 years now.
We are currently using:
-27 inch Toshiba CRT TV
-Houpauge PVR250 tuner
-Canadian Shaw digital TV
What we're planning on doing is upgrading to a large LCD TV. Probably this one:
Sharp Aquos 1080p 42" Widescreen LCD HDTV** (LC42D65)
http://tinyurl.com/sharpLC42D65

I'm looking for advice from Canadians or people knowledgeable about Canadian broadcasting regarding how to best use MythTV with Shaw digital (HD)TV and a HD LCD TV. If you could take the time to offer help I would really appreciate it. My family and I would rather stay with MythTV then go to Shaw's proprietary HDPVR.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 6:13 pm 
The HDTV end of things should be reasonably ok. Lot's of good info about configs. I've hooked up my Hitachi HD, Panansonic HD, and my older XBR on separate front ends.

The receiving end could be hairy. I'm on Rogers where they encrypt everything in sight except the promo channels. That just seems so very wrong but the CRTC doesn't seem to have interceded.

In theory local stations (CBC, CTV) will offer OTA transmission. I know, very exciting. If you live near the US border you should be able to pick up US based OTA transmissions.

It has really just left me to consider purchasing an Hauppauge HD PVR. That is my next project. But quite ironically my cableco has forced me into it by not offering freely OTA content unencrypted.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 3:36 pm 
I will be doing a similar upgrade soon, and expect to have no problems transitioning to Shaw HD. The DCT6200 is the standard Shaw HD box and looks to be fairly versatile. I used to have a DCT2500, which is a similar box but SD, and it didn't pose any problems with KM. (Had to downgrade to the cheapo DCT700 when I quit and lost my employee deal, that box is much worse!)

The main thing with HD of course is you need more computing power. If your KM box(es) is/are older it might be time to upgrade. Luckily there have been no shortage of posts on HD system requirements.

I'll be upgrading to KM 5.5 at the same time and expect that will far more trickier compared to getting the HD setup itself going!

Good luck...