View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 4:10 pm 
I'm new to this whole dtv thing. So please bear with me.

I have a new sbe install of 5.5 with just one pchdtv card. When I scan for channels using qam-128/cable I get 99% signal 18% noise and all channels time out. What's going on here? What dumb thing am I doing wrong now? Thanks.

Abby

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 4:22 pm 
I have had very good luck following step-by-step the HDHomeRun directions found in the MythTV wiki

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Silicondust_ ... ital_Cable

For instance, note that they recommend QAM-256

Beyond that, check for good physical connections, swap out cables to check if they are bad (happens more often than you'd think), make sure the board is seated properly, things like that.

The instructions should find channels... HOWEVER it may find many channels you don't care about (like digital music channels) and the channels it finds may not get properly labeled with the right channel numbers and IDs. You may have to edit the channels it finds after the fact. I do this with MythWeb and the settings tab.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 9:17 pm 
Thanks. I've tried all options I see: qam 64, 128, 256, cable, broadcast, cablie hi, cable lrc, cable hrc, terrestrial, etc. I get no channels. The same cable to the TV gets dozens of channels. The Comcast tuner box (on the other leg of the splitter) gives me at least 400 channels.

Abby

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 11:29 pm 
So it seems from reading and reading and reading that digital channel frequences aren't so standardized. I now need to find a channels.conf file for Comcast in my area. Other options would be to use xine and see if it can find the proper frequences then create the channels.conf myself.

Time, why you punish me?

Abby