View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:48 pm 
Is anyone using the ATI HDTV Wonder VE for QAM? Specifically, the 5188-0178 or PS501-69003 model numbers. Someone is willing to sell me one of these, but I am not sure if they will work for QAM. The MythTV wiki http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/ATI_HDTV_Wonder says that the VE is digital only, but does that mean ATSC, QAM, or both?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 1:05 am 
According to:

http://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/A ... DTV_Wonder

It should work with QAM, based on the above information.

Fyi, several sites list these cards starting at 9.99 refurbished.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 8:46 am 
Thanks for the reply! I forgot to update this thread with my findings. Shame on me! I did purchase them for $9 (shipped) a card on eBay and they work for QAM very well. Live TV stopped working, but that may have been coincidental. I have to investigate that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 12:56 pm 
tombogo -

Did you have to do any special configuration with the cards as or did they work out of box?

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/ATI_HDTV_Wonder#VE_Varient

I just ordered 3 of these cards from here:

http://compuvest.us/ProductDetails.aspx ... de=VGA_ACC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 1:01 pm 
Quote:
Did you have to do any special configuration with the cards as or did they work out of box?

Nothing special, just the normal ATI HDTV Wonder setup. I did have to make "face plates" from blank filler plates so that they didn't wiggle. It probably was not required.

A friend and I bought four from their eBay store. It came to 4 x $7.25 + $7.50 shipping = $36.25 or $9.125 a card shipped.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110386436389

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 2:02 pm 
tombongo wrote:
Quote:

Nothing special, just the normal ATI HDTV Wonder setup. I did have to make "face plates" from blank filler plates so that they didn't wiggle. It probably was not required.

A friend and I bought four from their eBay store. It came to 4 x $7.25 + $7.50 shipping = $36.25 or $9.125 a card shipped.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110386436389

I'm looking at picking up something cheap to throw into my system for the upcoming digital switch. Do these support digital cable in the US (QAM)?

Or at lease Comcast's version of QAM. I've hooked my HDTV up directly and I was able to pick up several channels so I know that at least for now, I can pick up some unencrypted channels.

thanks,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 2:23 pm 
I am actually using these cards for QAM on the Comcast network in Southern New Jersey.

As for the digital transition, that is a little tricky...

Although, we may see more channels become clear over the next year or so, this may only be temporary. The digital transition hinges on these new DTAs that are currently only able to decode unencrypted QAM channels. The DTA's software is supposedly upgradable just like any normal STB. Comcast plans to upgrade the software to also be able to decrypt encrypted channels. When this happens, expect to see the expanded unencrypted lineup go back to what it is now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 2:31 pm 
tombongo wrote:
I am actually using these cards for QAM on the Comcast network in Southern New Jersey.

As for the digital transition, that is a little tricky...

Although, we may see more channels become clear over the next year or so, this may only be temporary. The digital transition hinges on these new DTAs that are currently only able to decode unencrypted QAM channels. The DTA's software is supposedly upgradable just like any normal STB. Comcast plans to upgrade the software to also be able to decrypt encrypted channels. When this happens, expect to see the expanded unencrypted lineup go back to what it is now.

Wow--now that was quick.

Do you go through a cable box first or are you running straight from the wall?

I'm fine dropping a $10-20 for a temporary solution... I figure, Hey, it doesn't hurt to keep the old box running for a little longer.

I just don't want to go throwing $100 around for a "might work for the next 2 months" solution.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 3:25 pm 
I have two QAM tuners that use the cable straight from the wall, and one firewire (IEEE 1394) tuner via a STB. It is extremely difficult for me and my wife to get a conflict with this setup and I am only renting one STB. We record a lot of HD stuff too. The only thing that I can not record is the premium channels (HBO, Showtime, etc...). I could add a Hauppage 1212 for that.

Just to be clear, unencrypted QAM is essentially the same as the OTA channels. You only get the major local networks now. There are areas that are exceptions to this rule. This is important to understand.

The good thing is that most of what people record tends to be on the major networks. Even though the major networks usually only air shows once, it is less than $10 to add another QAM tuner. The cable channels tend to air their show many times and MythTV can handle the conflicts caused by having one STB.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:03 pm 
Hi all, I have been using my KnoppMyth system for about a year now and have been very happy with it :) I recently added a second tuner card - ATI HDTV Wonder that I bought on eBay for $7.50 (+$7.50 shipping). However the instructions I found on the wiki and this post were not very clear to me so I am posting the steps I took to make it work for my R5.5 system.

1. Edit the file /etc/init.d/KnoppMyth-tv as follows:
Code:
nano /etc/init.d/KnoppMyth-tv

In this file uncomment the line for cx88:
before:
Code:
#modprobe cx88-dvb

after:
Code:
modprobe cx88-dvb

2. Next create a new file /etc/modprobe.d/atiwonder
Code:
nano /etc/modprobe.d/atiwonder

and add the following line
Code:
options cx88xx card=34

After a reboot the system recognized the card and I was able to set it up using mythtv-setup.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 11:44 am 
I am using a HD 650 COMBO USB for PC. It is really compatible on my system, so I just really love it.
By the way, your thing must be working with QAM.