View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject: playback profile?
PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 11:22 am 
tjc wrote:
Still probably worth looking at the playback config, I spent a fair amount of time fiddling with the xorg.conf, codec selection and other playback settings, to minimize CPU load and maximize output quality. There's almost certainly one or two useful hints in there, like using NoMaxPClkCheck to get around the arbitrary "135.0 MHz maximum pixel clock" imposed on those cards.
tjc,
Do you know of any how-to instructions on how to set/adjust the playback profile?
I've never been able to make sense of the choices in that window.
Why are there 2 lines there? One for each CPU core?
I've got a dual core AMD processor in my KM R5.5 box and just set the playback profile to CPU++.
All my settings worked great until Fox/KMSP made their change over the summer.

KnoppMyth R5.5, Asus A8N-VM CSM (nvidia 6150 onboard video), AMD Athlon 64 dual-core 4200+, two 1GB sticks DDR 400, HD-3000 HDTV card, PVR-150 card, Iguanaworks RS-232 IR receiver/transmitter, Pioneer DVR-110 DVD burner

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 11:29 am 
Crossed in flight...

That posting and also this one that it links to: http://knoppmyth.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=19913

How to read the profiles...

Each playback profile consists of a name and a set of rules. Here it looks like you've hacked CPU++ from the standard set in a very odd way. I generally recommend leaving the standard names alone and adding your own.

Each of the lines below is a rule entry. It starts with a matching criteria based on the resolution (if rez > 0 0), then lists the codec settings (ffmpeg & XVideo) to use for that.

When playback starts using a profile it searches down the list in order until it finds a rule that matches the current recording or video and checks to see if it can use it (hardware and driver capabilities may preclude it). The first workable match is what it uses to replay the video.

Post subject: playback settings
PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 12:00 pm 
Hi tjc,
tjc wrote:
How to read the profiles...

Each playback profile consists of a name and a set of rules. Here it looks like you've hacked CPU++ from the standard set in a very odd way. I generally recommend leaving the standard names alone and adding your own.
At this point, I have no way to know what the default settings were. Could I pop in the R5.5 Live CD and get the default settings from there? As I recall, when I experimented with changes over a year ago, there was no difference between the original settings and what I have now - both worked fine with every OTA channel we get in Minneapolis.
tjc wrote:
Each of the lines below is a rule entry. It starts with a matching criteria based on the resolution (if rez > 0 0), then lists the codec settings (ffmpeg & XVideo) to use for that.

When playback starts using a profile it searches down the list in order until it finds a rule that matches the current recording or video and checks to see if it can use it (hardware and driver capabilities may preclude it). The first workable match is what it uses to replay the video.
I think I understand. Is there a list of known-good settings? Screen shots of known-good setups is what I'm after.

The fact that keeps nagging me: my current settings worked for Fox programs in May 2010. Why don't they still work?

Do the audio/video sync problems noted in the mythfrontend playback logs tell us how Fox changed the data stream?

Eric

KnoppMyth R5.5, Asus A8N-VM CSM (nvidia 6150 onboard video), AMD Athlon 64 dual-core 4200+, two 1GB sticks DDR 400, HD-3000 HDTV card, PVR-150 card, Iguanaworks RS-232 IR receiver/transmitter, Pioneer DVR-110 DVD burner

Post subject: Re: playback settings
PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 12:22 pm 
neutron68 wrote:
The fact that keeps nagging me: my current settings worked for Fox programs in May 2010. Why don't they still work?

This is more or less a rhetorical question at this point. The settings don't work as well as they used to because the MPEG-2 encoding that they're broadcasting is now different in some way. The more relevant question is how is it different, and does that give us any insight into how to adjust the playback settings. The answer to the second part is "probably not". We really don't have _that_ many knobs to turn with the decoders.

neutron68 wrote:
Do the audio/video sync problems noted in the mythfrontend playback logs tell us how Fox changed the data stream?

Given those I might try fiddling with the A/V sync preferences. The "UseVideoTimebase" setting might be worth exploring. Try playing the recordings with it both on and off.

OBTW see - http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Playback_profiles Especially the bit at the bottom of the page about what happens if you use the 'wrong' deinterlacer.

Last edited by tjc on Sat Jan 01, 2011 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 12:36 pm 
tjc,

As an update, I was able to boot my KM R5.5 box with the LinHES 6.03 Live CD. It kept complaining it "could not connect to the backend" (because my KM R5.5 box is the only backend in my house and it wasn't running), but I was still able to mount the /myth partition and use the built-in mythtv player in 6.03 to play stuttering Fox/KMSP videos, which I had copied into the /myth/videos folder. They play smoothly with this method.

I didn't note what the playback profile settings were in 6.03. Should I clone those default playback settings into my KM R5.5 box?

Eric

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 12:42 pm 
See the MythTV wiki page I linked to above. The difference is most likely the deinterlace method the profile is using.

I would write down the current profile setting from the live CD which worked, but I'm betting they match the ones on that wiki page.

Then I would create a new playback profile on the old system (call it something like WorksForMe...) and plug in the rules you recorded.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 12:45 pm 
Quote:
I just re-entered "CPU++ default settings" from this page into my R5.5 box and will test.
Next, I'll boot with the 6.03 cd again and look at those settings.
Eric
The restored "CPU++ default settings" didn't help the Fox/KMSP stuttering in KM R5.5.

Also, I jumped the gun on reporting my results with the 6.03 Live cd. The Fox/KMSP videos play from the /myth/videos folder using the built-in mythtv player, but I can't get sound so I don't really know if they are playing without stuttering or not.

The player volume (seen via the OSD) is stuck at 0%, no matter what i do:
1. tried using the [ and ] keys to move the volume up and down
2. tried pushing all outputs up to 100% in alsamixer in an xterm screen
3. made sure all the GENERAL volume settings in the Mythtv setup screens were at 100%.
4. made sure my output device was ALSA:default, stereo.

Did you get this behavior with the volume control?

Is there a way to keep mythtv from popping up the "could not connect to master backend" message every 10 seconds. Its making it difficult to stay sane.

Eric

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 11:28 pm 
Well that didn't go well... I rebooted and X wouldn't start up all the way. my TV has some overscan so I couldn't see what caused the hiccup. I'm going to go through the options and find the one that my system doesn't like. If I could figure out how to copy and paste the xorg.conf file from the LinHES box then I could show it to you. But I can't and I don't want to fire up my other computer.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:18 am 
neutron68 wrote:
The restored "CPU++ default settings" didn't help the Fox/KMSP stuttering in KM R5.5.

I didn't expect that they would. You're probably using a different profile when running from the live CD, that is the one you need to check and try. At a guess it's the default "normal" profile described on the wiki page above, but actually checking what it's using is the only way to be sure.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 12:51 pm 
Thank you for your Help TJC I'm going to keep trying to get the video output right, but I thought of something last night as I was going to sleep. The recordings are broken. If I try and play the files back on my windows PC using VLC they don't play at all. There seems to be something going wrong with the recording process. I get an "Error 1856: an unknown error occured" with Quicktime and windows media player does nothing at all.

Post subject: no sound in 6.03
PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:32 pm 
tjc wrote:
neutron68 wrote:

I didn't expect that they would. You're probably using a different profile when running from the live CD, that is the one you need to check and try. At a guess it's the default "normal" profile described on the wiki page above, but actually checking what it's using is the only way to be sure.
I jumped the gun on reporting my results with the 6.03 Live cd. The Fox/KMSP videos play from the /myth/videos folder using the built-in mythtv player, but I can't get sound so I don't really know if they are playing without stuttering or not.
I'm not sure why sound wouldn't work in 6.03. It works fine with my motherboard sound chips in R5.5. Did support for certain sound card chips get removed in 6.03?

The default playback profile with the 6.03 live cd is CPU+.

Eric

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:39 pm 
LinHES 6.xx supports two different sound stacks (ALSA and OSS). I don't know which one it uses by default on the CD but you can switch using the service menu.

Post subject: live cd sound choices
PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 4:15 pm 
tjc wrote:
LinHES 6.xx supports two different sound stacks (ALSA and OSS). I don't know which one it uses by default on the CD but you can switch using the service menu.
The Audio output device choices on the 6.03 live cd are:
NULL
ALSA:default
ALSA:spdif
ALSA:surround51
ALSA:analog
ALSA:digital
ALSA:mixed-analog
ALSA:mixed-digital
ALSA:hdmi
ALSA:plughw:0,3
/dev/dsp
/dev/adsp
/dev/sound/dsp
/dev/sound/adsp

Thus far, I've tried the obvious ones - ALSA:default and ALSA:analog - no joy.
As before, I used ALSAMIXER and unmuted all the sound sources and increased the sliders up to 70% or more - still no sound.

This is using the built-in mythtv player to play vdieos from the /myth/videos folder on the mounted hard drive.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:51 pm 
neutron if you have a spare HD laying around why not just install R6 on it and obviously change the boot order in BIOS. That way you can save your changes and it should run much smoother and faster. In my experience Live CD's are very slow.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:41 pm 
mattbatt wrote:
neutron if you have a spare HD laying around why not just install R6 on it and obviously change the boot order in BIOS. That way you can save your changes and it should run much smoother and faster. In my experience Live CD's are very slow.
mattbatt,
yes, I could try that. I'll have to try it next weekend. I'm all out of weekend, now.
The fact that you are seeing the same stuttering problems with Fox recordings in R6 as I see in R5.5 leads me to expect that I'll also see Fox stuttering in R6.

tjc,
have you done any test recordings of Fox in your area? Do you have several myth boxes up and running so we could see how various versions handle Fox recordings? I'm interested to know if you also see stuttering during playback of Fox recordings.

Eric

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next