View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Go to page Previous  1, 2

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 4:37 pm 
Xsecrets wrote:
Well I don't buy the argument that a hdtv tuner would work fine.

Let's put it this way: my guess is that if you plugged a HDTV tuner into most sets and watched a football game on Fox, you'd be able to see the score. If the set was overscanning that badly, you wouldn't be able to see it, and most sets would get returned.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 9:48 pm 
I can't belive overscan is that bad either. I mean yeah on a $69 TV I can see overscan of 5% to compensate for a cheap tube and power supply (picture drift and all) But with the cheapest hdtv sets being $700-800 that just isn't an excuse.

to quote ceenvee703
Quote:
First, remember what we're talking about here: getting a HTPC working with a HDTV. This is not something most people are doing. If you just want to plug a DVD player and a HDTV tuner into it, it works just fine.

This is the question that has been bugging me for along time. What is an HDTV settop box putting out? What I really wish I could do is get my hands on a set top box, hook it up to a sillyscope and see what the signal was. You should be able to reverse engineer a modeline. That is if your graphics card could support it. Unfortunately 1) I do not have a set top box, 2) As I became a stay at home dad I no longer have access to $20000 sillyscopes.

I've seen modeline that claim they are 1080i, 480p, 540p etc. I still get overscan. And why oh why do I get 30% more overscan from the same modeline when I switch from my 9A60 to DVI. This wouldn't happen on a set top box would it (changing from component to dvi) I can't believe that sony would screw me that bad that I can't use my DVI port without spending hundreds of dollars on calibration

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 10:23 pm 
wow guess it's a good thing I don't have a dvi connector, as I already get at least 30% overscan on my 9A60. I wish I had an external hdtv tuner to connect just to see if it produces as much overscan. Then I would know that it has to be theoretically possible to correct with a proper modeline.

Xsecrets

Go to page Previous  1, 2