View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject: HD on a slave backend
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 6:21 pm 
Having just successfully got my air2pc going, I have just put my order in for a HD3000 (they're finally back in stock). However, I am reluctant to start messing around <again> with my production system which already has 3 tuner cards and enough hard drives to begin to rival my furnace's capability at generating heat. So I am interested in setting up a slave backend for the HD3000. Has anyone here done something like that?

I'm wondering what kind of processor I would need. Since I'm not playing the streams back on it, and there is no need for software to MPEG encode anything, I'm wondering if one of my existing idle PII-400Mhz will be enough. I'm also wondering, if the processor is fast enough, whether I would need to get a modern ide controller. Is UDMA66 fast enough for so much data?

Thanks.

Amy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 10:30 pm 
that should be fine if you are just running a backend on it. As you stated just dumping the data to disk doesn't take much CPU, and the largest spec hdtv stream 1080i is 19Mbps (bits per second) where your UDMA66 drive is 66MBps (bytes per second) so even with the lower actual throughput of a hard drive you should be fine with UDMA66. Just don't try to playback the content on that computer. :wink:

Xsecrets

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 4:46 pm 
An interesting bonus I found with my slave backend is that it also gets commercial flagging jobs to do automatically. It takes it a little longer to do it than my master, but it does offload the work quite nicely.

Another use I found for the slave was to host a couple of full video drives via nfs to further reduce heat buildup. It's all working now, fine and dandy; and with very little impact to my "production" system, thus keeping the hubby happy.

Amy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 4:22 am 
So you're ok on the HAF front! :lol: