View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Go to page Previous  1, 2

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 9:28 am 
Jan 24th US senate committee will begin the next wave of broadcast/audio flag hearings. Senators from the following states are on the committee.

Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Florida, Hawaii, Louisiana, Maine, Massachusetts, Mississippi, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New, Hampshire, New, Jersey, North, Dakota, Oregon, South, Carolina, Texas, Virginia, Washington, or West Virginia.

If you are residents of the above states it would be very helpful to Knoppmyth and MythTV's future to let your senator know your strong opposition to the broadcast flag again.

Here is an EFF article and action item to write your senator.

https://secure.eff.org/site/Advocacy?cm ... ion&id=205

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:05 am 
spalVl wrote:
http://www.boingboing.net/2005/11/01/hollywood_after_the_.html

My favorite line

"Americans will forgive a lot of sins from their elected representatives, but there's one thing they won't stand for and that's breaking their TVs."

I've never heard a believable explanation as to why cloning electronic media net is wrong. Copyright did not come into existance centuries ago to enable huge mutinationals to oppress/frighten/imprison children who clone media from the net. For me the line is crossed when a physical copy of a physical product is replicated and sold, not downloading data. We need to re examine what democracy and freedom actually means and what rights we actually have in the privacy of our own homes in this electronic age.

Maybe you guys need to fight the 'American War of Independance - Part 2' in a city near you from 2006 and reclaim your freedoms. They lost the war on packets of drugs years ago and that's a physical product. How can they possibly hope to win a war against packets of data that can be exchanged from opposite sides of the globe in milliseconds without ever leaving your home, and is hard to morally rally against, unlike drugs. Ohhh I need an mp3 maaan, I'm strung out.

Downloading music movies/recording TV does not threaten the fabric of society, it just takes the edge of the profits of a greedy industry that can still pay the performers millions of dollars and spent many past decades exploiting them, where was the law then? pure hipocracy, for the music/film/TV industry to morally lecture anyone.

P2P's with total encryption where no one knows who's sending what to whom, already exist and will soon be the norm anyway. GAME OVER!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 5:16 am 
As everybody knows, this isnt about copyright, or privacy, its about greed.

"How many video recorder companies have you seen being taken to court for allowing people to record TV, or blank media manufactures for providing the means to transport copyrighted material. "

Well, dont you remember the law suits? Yes, both audio tape and VCR went through this in the courts already. The only difference is that back then the Entertainment industry was smaller and the likes of SONY were big and powerfull. So the big people win in court.

Now, the huge Entertainment company fight smaller poor people that cant fight back and win.

So, American law = Richest person wins.
When you get really rich you can change the law to suit you as this all proves.

Its a pity however that even if every single person in the country stands up and says "I DONT WANT THIS" it still gets done by government anyway, as the recent ID Cards scandal in the UK is proving.

The only way to STOP this is to be in politics yourself, and get powerfull. I can imagine a president who's campaign was,
"I will protect your rights that corperations want to steal from you, its meant to be Democracy first, capitalism second not a country ruled by companies and capitalism with democracy being bought off"
would do quite well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 5:42 pm 
Just a side note...America is NOT a Democracy. It's a REPUBLIC. Quote "...to the republic for which it stands..."

TREVOR

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 1:51 am 
Absolutely correct. Actually, the US is a "constitutional republic" where the Constitution places limits on what the democratically-elected representatives can do.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constitutional_republic

But the FCC still sucks and they've been bought and paid for by Hollywood interests who are bent on making your living room their own pay-per-view studio.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 4:12 pm 
Hello, this stickied thread is now getting near three years old. Any changes with regard to the broadcast flag issue? Is it still disabled?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 4:24 pm 
The requirement for hardware to honor the broadcast flag in the USA is not law, but broadcasters routinely add it to their show feeds anyway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 4:44 pm 
mihanson wrote:
The requirement for hardware to honor the broadcast flag in the USA is not law, but broadcasters routinely add it to their show feeds anyway.

Yes, last year, back before my hardware was supported in Linux, I ran Media Center and saw the flag on several shows. And of course MC honoured it... :evil:

P.S. Sucks even more because I'm in Canada where this isn't even mandated. Unfortunately nowhere in the world is safe from nutty US lawmakers...

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:09 am 
Do some verisons of mythtv respond to the broadcast flag?

See this thread:
http://knoppmyth.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=21934

Over the summer of 2010, a mystery black box was inserted into the digital data chain at the referenced tv station.

Before that, playback of recordings from that channel were smooth. After that, playback of recordings from that channel stutter.

Significant?

KnoppMyth R5.5, Asus A8N-VM CSM (nvidia 6150 onboard video), AMD Athlon 64 dual-core 4200+, two 1GB sticks DDR 400, HD-3000 HDTV card, PVR-150 card, Iguanaworks RS-232 IR receiver/transmitter, Pioneer DVR-110 DVD burner

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 5:10 pm 
neutron68 wrote:
Short answer: No. Mythtv is broadcast flag oblivious.

Does your tuner card respond to the broadcast flag? That would be tuner dependent. PCHDTV cards do not. HDHomerun does not. And if it did, you would get no recording at all in Mythtv, not jumpiness as you describe. If the broadcast flag was set and your tuner honored it, it would not output any data at all to mythtv.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 5:37 pm 
jzigmyth wrote:
neutron68 wrote:
Short answer: No. Mythtv is broadcast flag oblivious.

Does your tuner card respond to the broadcast flag? That would be tuner dependent. PCHDTV cards do not. HDHomerun does not. And if it did, you would get no recording at all in Mythtv, not jumpiness as you describe. If the broadcast flag was set and your tuner honored it, it would not output any data at all to mythtv.

The KM machine with the Fox stuttering playback (details in the signture at the bottom) uses an HD-3000 card as the over-the-air tuner. As a test, I added an HD Homerun and it also produces Fox recordings with stuttering playback. The rest of the details are over on the noted thread.

Eric

KnoppMyth R5.5, Asus A8N-VM CSM (nvidia 6150 onboard video), AMD Athlon 64 dual-core 4200+, two 1GB sticks DDR 400, HD-3000 HDTV card, PVR-150 card, Iguanaworks RS-232 IR receiver/transmitter, Pioneer DVR-110 DVD burner

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:40 pm 
Sounds like a hardware playback hiccup....it has NOTHING to do with the broadcast flag.

Since your system only has a Nvidia 6150....try changing the deinterlace settings and possibly use the Xvmc decoding.

One issue to consider is IF the station changed to a 1080i stream. I have an old P4 system with an AGP 5200 Nvidia card that can't play the video without the stutter. It's just a hardware limitation. Once the ATSC conversion was finalized around here....most stations adopted the 1080i stream, which is taxing on the video card. 720p or 480i streams playback just fine.

Your CPU has enough horsepower to display 1080i...but the video card can gag on it.

Edit: One last item. Check your BIOS settings for video memory. For the 61xx series...set it to 128Meg. That may help.

Edit2: You're discussing this in another thread. :( I'll leave this here and if the mods want to move it...it's ok w/me.
--

Larry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:46 am 
None of the clear QAM tuners I have honor the boradcast flag, but my Comcast-supplied Motorola DCT-6200 does. It cuts off the firewire feed if the CCI flag is set. It has been this way for many years. Fox used to set the CCI flag on the show "24"...

The views expressed are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

Go to page Previous  1, 2