View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 10:27 pm 
MythTV 0.20 has a great frontend channel editor that helps take a lot of the work out of setting up your ATSC/QAM channel lists. From R5C7, you'd need to upgrade to R5D1, and then upgrade that to MythTV 0.20 (see the various posts elsewhere in the forum for help) in order to be able to use it...or you could hang on for the next verion of KnoppMyth. The MythTV wiki has a great write-up on the frontend channel editor - head on over there to see if it's something you're interested in using.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 9:35 am 
Thanks for the reply. I think I'll wait for the knoppmyth release for .20. My R5C7 master-slave setup is rock solid so I don't want to fool with upgrading just to get an easier tool for this byzantine QAM cable stuff. I've spent some time using the channel editor and have made the following observations.

1. The GUI Scan function seems to work fine in finding Cable-IRC QAM-256 channels available to me.

2. If I start with a clear source it will populate it with channels in a C<number>#<subnumber> format. What I've done is just go in and try to watch the channel to distinguish ones that are "clear". This has worked fine I've got about twenty channels with a few HD ones that are clear and available.

3. The channel numbers that the GUI scan gives bears no relation to the zap2it data and nothing automatically lines up when I do a zap2it download and then a scan. The Zap2it channels will not lock.

What I am planning to do is :

1. View each clear channel I have and try to figure out from the watermark/programming what station it corresponds to in the zap2it quides.

2. Take the channel, callsign, and xmltvid from the Zap2it data and use the SQL tool in the mythtv-setup to put this data into the twenty or so scanned records data fields. Then go and delete the zap2it dups. I think the hardest part is going to be able to figure out which of the multiple DT1, DT2, DT3...etc channels I am actually looking at. This will probably be less disruptive than doing an upgrade. I suspect I'd have the same issue with .20 because of the screwy way Comcast does/doesn't do it's channel ID's.

I won't be able to get around to this for a few days so if anyone can see a hole in this plan feel free to comment.

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 10:33 pm 
siasl:

That, eseentially, is what I did with my setup (minus directly editing the SQL tables - but pre-0.20, that's exactly what I would have done). The Channel#Subchannel numbering scheme is rather artificial and bears absolutely no similarity to your "real" channel lineup. In fact, if you find that, say, 16#1 matches channel 240 in your lineup, do not presume that 16#2 will map to channel 241...you actually can pretty much bank on it not matching. My method was to sit in front of a frontend, watch a channel for a couple of minutes, then use an online program guide to determine the channel that I was watching. This works much better during the day or during prime-time than it does at, say, 2:00 AM when most channels are showing infomercials. :-)

Good luck! I found it to be worth the work...hope you do, too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 8:03 am 
Well. It worked. Now have QAM-256 channels both HD and digital on my guide. Since I don't have Comcast digital that's not bad. However, it is not for the faint of heart. Seems like the quide data from zap2it is matched by the channelID number. Not sure why the QAM channelID's scan gives and the zap2it guide data do not match. I never have had an issue with all my analog channels. I guess you folks with digital service are getting it off the set top box anyway so you don't deal with this. Anyway, taking the ChannelID, xmltvid, channelnum, callsign, and channel description from the zap2it record
and putting that data in the record created by the scan process does it. You have to write down the ChannelID from the zap2it record, delete the record, then change the channelID on the scan record. Otherwise you get a primary index problem in the channels table.

Gone HDing.....

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 7:12 am 
Does this mean that I can capture QAM's HDTV over firewire and no need for PVR150?

I have a friend that has an interest in Myth, but can not justify $100 startup. This might get him started.

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5