View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 12:54 pm 
So the Myth 0.19 QAM Scan won't work with Comcast since they don't put the station ids in?

I have a channels.conf with about 300 entries in it that I was hoping I didn't have to check one by one. I started renaming them last night to "tst1" tst2" etc...but got bored after about 60 of those! Maybe by the end of the week...I need to learn how to script something like this...is there a "bash scripting for dummies" book? :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 2:54 pm 
You might try the scan option. I picked up several channels on comcast cable using scan for channels.

mike

PVR-150 - HD-5000
Geforce FX 5200

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:49 pm 
Xsecrets wrote:
must be nice to have a cable company that actually follows the FCC regulations.

I don't know one way or the other. I'm on Comcast in the SE Oakland County area: an A/B network. When I did a channel scan using the command line under KnoppMyth 5A22 I got zero channel names, but 183 channels. When I did the typical GUI MythTV setup using a Zap2It lineup that had my cable channels, I still got a *bunch* of channels like 22#1, 22#2, 22#3, etc., but I also got a bunch of properly labelled channels from the MythWeb GUI.

When I use Watch TV to browse them, I just get channel numbers. For example, if I want to watch PBS HD, I go to 56_1. No real label, but it's a meaningful number: PBS here is channel 56.

As an aside, I mentioned to a guy who called me from Comcast last week what a hassle it is that they strip the channel names from the signal. He said that 1) they don't, and 2) they are required to have them. Just thought I'd pass that along: I'm not knowledgable enough to argue one way or the other.

In any case, it works. I'm thrilled.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 6:30 pm 
Xsecrets wrote:
well I'll get it written up pretty soon, but unfortunately I have not found any short quick workarounds for finding the valid channels on a comcast type system that strips the psid information. Once that's out of the way or if you can find a good channels.conf for your cable system it's a breese now.

Hi XSecrets,
I did a brand new install with R5B7 and I already have the channels.conf from my previous installation (which has been safely tucked away on another hard drive). I'm drooling for the "breezy" import process :-)

Thanks,
Jim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 7:25 pm 
I'll get something good up on the wiki at some time, but for the mean time the real easy part if you have a good channels.conf.

setup your card as dvb
create a lineup with zap2it that has only the channels you have in your channels.conf.
set that up as a video source.
in input connections select update from video source or something like that (sorry not in front of it)
after that finishes it will take a while, because it runs mythfilldatabase.
select scan then import channels.conf (the nice thing is this will only change the zap2it entries to add the proper freq but leave all the guide data/xmltvid etc the same.
exit mythtv-setup start the backend and frontend and enjoy.

Quote:
As an aside, I mentioned to a guy who called me from Comcast last week what a hassle it is that they strip the channel names from the signal. He said that 1) they don't, and 2) they are required to have them.

1) obviously they do (they might somehow claim they don't because the station id is still there on the cable somewhere, just not in the stream with the data where it's supposed to be. They strip them out and put them on a special channel or something that only their equipment knows. I really don't think this satisfies the regs, but in some twisted sense they may have managed to convice the FCC that it does.
2) he's right. they are breaking the law (well not sure if that's what you call a FCC regulation)

Xsecrets

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:16 pm 
I have comcast, so my atscscan came back with over 300 results. So far they are all getting locks with azap....

Code:
status 1f | signal 0000 | snr feb0 | ber 00000000 | unc 00000000 | FE_HAS_LOCK
status 1f | signal 0000 | snr fea6 | ber 00000000 | unc 00000000 | FE_HAS_LOCK
status 1f | signal 0000 | snr fe9d | ber 00000000 | unc 00000000 | FE_HAS_LOCK
status 1f | signal 0000 | snr fea4 | ber 00000000 | unc 00000000 | FE_HAS_LOCK
status 1f | signal 0000 | snr fea3 | ber 00000000 | unc 00000000 | FE_HAS_LOCK
status 1f | signal 0000 | snr febc | ber 00000000 | unc 00000000 | FE_HAS_LOCK

...but fail with mplayer...

Code:
DEMUX OPEN, AUDIO_ID: -1, VIDEO_ID: -1, SUBTITLE_ID: -1,
PROBING UP TO 2000000, PROG: 0
NO VIDEO! NO AUDIO!  NO SUBS (yet)!
Opened TS demuxer, audio: ffffffff(pid -1), video: ffffffff(pid -1)...POS=0
No stream found.

Is there any way to tell which of these are real channels through azap? Are there in clues in the "ber" or "unc" fields, or do I just have to run all of them through mplayer to really find out?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 11:34 pm 
might be worth looking into the script cesman pointed out. I haven't checked it out yet, but another poster had good things to say about it.

Xsecrets

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 3:15 pm 
Xsecrets wrote:
Also shortly after the release of the R5 beta I'll be posting some instructions. It is dead simple with 0.19 particularly if you have a good channels.conf file.

Does the channels.conf file need to have the channel names exactly match the names that zap2it will assign to the channels?

If not, do I need to manually edit the tables and add in the zap2it ID to the channel?

I spent several hours getting this to work last night with the scan and edit manual method and if I can simplfy this process, I will be a happy camper.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 11:10 pm 
if you make the channels.conf match the zap2it it will make your life easier I think. I actually matched mine up front, so I haven't tried it with nonmatching files, but if you get two sets of channels I imagine that's what happened.

Xsecrets

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 10:57 am 
Just a tip if you are having trouble - this post IGNORES the ATSCSRCID, but this MUST BE ZEROED OUT IF THIS IS GOING TO WORK. I was pulling my hair out because I had 2 channels that worked and the rest did not, despite looking all the same (in the fields mentioned here). ATSCSRCID must be ZERO in the channel table for this to work.

Last edited by jacobsta on Sat May 06, 2006 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: still confused
PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 5:49 pm 
I am still confused with this process. I picked up a Avermedia A180 from Amazon for $80. The card is recognized and loads fine. I can cat to an mpeg file and play that back in mplayer. What I could not get to work was using the channels.conf file to watch or record TV in Myth. I followed the up front steps but seems to have hit a wall. On my original setup, I could not get the channels.conf stuff to work. I then tried a scan for channels. It setup a bunch in the 500's - very different then where the channels.conf ones were set. Those were intertwined with the original channels. After doing the scan - I was able to get the live tv and recording to work - definitly need XVMC to view them. Wish there was a way to have myth use that setting per capture card.

I just did a new install to retry this setup. The problem with before is the 500 numbered HD QAM channels worked - but had no guide data. I have read mixed things that refer to old PID tables and other things. Am I missing something in the steps up front? Do you ignore the scan and simply load in the channels.conf file? That did not seem to work when I tried it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 6:12 pm 
I ignored the scan an input the channels.conf file, but then again that file came from a scan albeit done with a different program (atscscan) and the fact that on comcast the mythtv scan gets you nothing since they strip psid data. If you get something on the scan you can use that and just manually go into the db and change the xmlid on those channels to match your zap2it channels to get guide data.

Xsecrets

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 6:37 pm 
I might try that since the scan actually gets me the channels - at least it appears that way. Is the channels table the only one you have to modify? I guess that might be my confusion. If I have zap2it setup to load a second set of channels (broadcast ones) and I have the dvb channel.conf file - I guess this is where my confusion is - maybe that is what the first page of this is trying to d...

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 5:35 pm 
I am running R5C7 with an HD-3000 pcHDTV card set up as DVB. Do not have an antenna set up. I have used the mythtv-setup to do a cable-IRC scan for QAM_256 channels. I get about 20 of them here on Comcast. I can even watch and manually record from them. The issue is there does not seem to be any correspondence with the zap2it broadcast data. The scans come back with a channel format of Cnumber#subnumber (ex C84#1). How can guide data be mapped?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 5:41 pm 
In mythtv-setup, option 5... That should be what you are looking for.

When the source is open, the possibilities are endless!

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next