View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 5:33 pm 
Is there a good, up-to-date, step-by-step guide for setting up a recent version of KnoppMyth for DTV/HDTV as painlessly as possible?

I've got a pcHDTV HD-3000, Intel mobo with 3.2 GHz Pentium, 1 GB RAM, 300 GB hard drive, GeFORCE TX 5200, etc.

I know there are some catches with DTV. Like NOT selecting the HD-3000 card when configuring capture cards.

My first attempt with R5A30.2 last night would only show a black screen when I tried to get it to show live TV, then after a few seconds it came back to the Myth menu.

What tools are included with KnoppMyth that can be used to see what kind of signal I might be picking up, even if it's not enough to display a picture?

Is the most recent version of KnoppMyth the best to work with for right now for DTV/HDTV?

Laramie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 5:46 pm 
R5A22 is the best, until the next release comes out...

When the source is open, the possibilities are endless!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 11:19 pm 
also it's kind of hard to just say here's a step by step guide. you have to know how you are getting your hd content. OTA QAM Firewire etc also what card makes a difference, and what versions of things. All in all waiting for the next release might be the best choice as it has numerous improvements for getting hdtv in many of the various configurations working.

Xsecrets

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 8:10 am 
Thanks for the suggestion on R5A22. I've grabbed it and re-installed my box using it. At least now the card shows up and the system seems to at least be willing to try.

I'm using the HD3000 card (seems to be the DTV card of choice?) and the GeForce FX 5200 (again, chosen because it seems to be one of the preferred models).

I'm shooting for over-the-air HDTV reception.

At present, with R5A22 installed and configured, when I try to "Watch TV" the screen goes black and stays that way forever. Once, it briefly had a banner across the bottom saying something like "Signal 100% (No Lock)" briefly.

Now it's just stuck on a black screen. ESC does nothing.

Laramie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 9:50 am 
using OTA that's generally because it defaulted to a channel that does not get a good signal lock. Find a channel that has a good strong signal and make sure it is set in the mythtv-setup as the starting channel.

Xsecrets

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 10:08 am 
Woo hoo! Finally got video from this HD-3000 card I bought so many moons ago.

I found the post entitled "General Guide for HD-3000 with front and backend for Newbies" under Tier2. It included doing a few non-obvious (at least to me) steps and settings.

I didn't follow all of that post, letter-for-letter, as it's for an older release, but it included enough details I had not done that I was finally able to do a channel scan (it found 3 on the cheesy wire antenna I have up on the roof - waiting for the big brown truck to deliver a proper UHF yagi).

When I went to "Watch TV", it actually showed TV. Wow.

When I tried to change channels, screen went black and it locked up again.

So, anyway, the post I referenced above is the best step-by-step I've found, even though it's a little out-of-date.

Laramie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 1:32 pm 
I tweaked my antenna situation a bit for slightly better reception, and the one OTA channel I can get reliably (occasionally pixelates, but mostly good) is NBC now showing the Olympics in HD. Wow.

Laramie