View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject: aspect ratio behavior
PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 7:18 am 
I am not quite sure how to describe this issue and ask the proper question so please bear with me... I am running HD with a HD5000 on a Panasonic 4:3 HDTV with a 1920X540p modeline and SD with pvrX50 with a 640X480 modeline on R5A22. I have set up the video mode screen (within the 'appearance' section - thanks marc.aronson) with the proper modes and screen settings. Things are working almost fine... When I view a live HD broadcast or a recorded HD broadcast the resulting picture in the 16X9 window (letterbox on top and bottom) is slightly squished (technical term...). I press 'W' once (to 4:3) and the image is perfect (still letterboxed and properly sized).

My question is - how can I make the default mode to be the "press 'W' once" for just this modeline? I have tweaked the modelines (both 1920X540 and 1920X1020) and cannot get the resulting picture tall enough. I have altered the "appearance" video mode screen (the one that lets you set up different modelines) to show all in 4:3 - that didn't work.

Or is there something else I should try? Everything else is working perfectly. Oh, I have a test machine running 0.19 and this problem shows up there too...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 9:48 am 
you can set the "press W once" setting for all modelines, but you cannot set different defaults for different modelines. I forget exactly where that setting is it's in the tv playback menu I believe and is something about aspect ratio override.

Xsecrets

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 12:39 am 
nbdwt73, glad you found my previous post helpful. The global setting is under "utilities/setup->setup->TV settings->Playback->General Playback (first screen)". Set the "aspect override" to "4/3". You might try setting the "per modeline" aspect ratio in the appearances section to 16x9 to see what impact it has, although I don't have a lot of confidence that it will give you what you are looking for.

I have a question for you. I see you have a "0.19" install. Would you mind checking to see if you still have the option of choosing a "stream type" of "mpeg-2 PS" under "utilities/setup->setup->TV settings->Recording Profiles->Mpeg-2->Default". This choice is on the 3rd screen for 0.18. Thanks!

Marc

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 12:44 am 
There is no option for PS format recordings in 0.19.