View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 2:19 pm 
Hey all...I know this is a knob question but I've been looking around for the latest install instructions for using a HD3000 and PVR250 and can't find anything that is recent. I know suppose to use DVB but all the other old scripts you had to run etc...I assum are automagic now.

Anyhow, anyone point me to a install example guide or howto for setting up the new beta R5B7?

Thanks mucho in advanced.

I have :

GEForce 6200 & a GEForce 5200 with DVI (Going to try the 6200 first)
P4 Northwood 3.0 giger
Asus P4P800-VM (Micro ATX)
HD-3000
PVR-250
IR-Blaster to hopefully one day control TimeWarner Cable HD via Firewire
Giant Radio Shack Antenna in Attic :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 10:07 pm 
I was going to have to answer all these questions at work next week anyway.

I did an upgrade but decided to do a clean install so I would have a clean starting point for troubleshooting any problems.

Here you go.

This procedure is a step by step for installing KnoppMyth R5B7 with a HD-5000 receiver and PVR-150 Non-MCE receiver and Nvidia FX5200.
All the steps should be the same if the HD-5000 is replaced with a HD-3000, or if the PVR-150 is replaced with any of the PVR-X50 receivers. I'm not sure about the PVR-500.
This procedure assumes installation on /dev/hda. No SATA or SCSI drives or RAID cards should be installed. The system must be connected to the internet to complete this procedure.

You must also set up a channel lineup a labs.zap2it.com. See the KnoppMyth wiki for more details.

Burn the KnoppMyth R5B7 CD.

Install all cards and connect all cables.

Connect S-Video out to your TV.

Boot from the CD, enter TV at the LILO prompt.

At the KnoppMyth main menu, select auto install.

Set your time and time zone to match your location.

Set up your username and password.

Set the root password.

Set your hostname. Leave this at MythTV if it is your first install.

Accept all the warnings.

The KnoppMyth install will format your drive, lay out your file systems and copy files into place.

Some messages will scroll across the screen. These can safely be ignored.

You will be prompted to reboot. Select yes.

The system will shut down and the CD will eject. Remove the CD and hit enter.

The system will boot the new installation.

At this point you are about 20 minutes or less into the install on any machine fast enough for HDTV. This time will be mostly dependant on your CD-ROM speed.

X will start and you will be prompted for the root password. Enter the password that you selected earlier.

Select OK to acknowledge the warning.

Set your time and time zone, again.

Select your network card. In my case it is a wireless card recognized as ath0.

I entered all of my wireless parameters at this point. I took all the defaults, except for ESSID and encryption key.

Select yes for DHCP, unless you know what you are doing or do not have a DHCP server on your router. We will fix this later, for now let's just get it working.

Answer no when asked about a boot splash.

This is specific to my model of remote; if you get this wrong you can come back to it later to get your remote working.
Answer 16 to select a Hauppauge remote.
Answer C to select the A415-HPG.

I answered no to the IR blaster because I don't use it. If you know for sure how to set up the IR blaster on the PV%-150 non-MCE, let me know and I'll update this.
Again you can come back to this later if you get it wrong.

Enter a password for MythTV web access.

Select i686 modules. I'm assuming if you are running a HD card, your processor is a P4 or compatible.

Modules will build and the display will stop at "Performing general tweaking for a couple of minutes.

mythtv-setup will start.
Select your language. English for me. Texan was no it the listing but I think I can translate well enough.

Select General
On the 3rd page set your TV format. For me NTSC. I have a standard TV with S-Video input.
Set the channel frequency table. I set this to us-bcast. I'm not sure what this is for. Input appreciated.
Take the defaults for the rest of the settings. Take this opportunity to look at what settings are here. You will want to change them one day.

Select Capture cards
Select New capture card
Set up the HD-5000 first. Select "DVB DTV capture card (v3.x)" for the card type
DVB Card Number: should be set to 0
Frontend ID: should say something like "LG Electronics LGTD3303 VSB/QAM Frontend"
Subtype: should say ATSC
Hit enter to finish
Select new capture card.
Set up the PVR-150. Select MPEG-2 encoder card for the card type.
Video device should be /dev/video0
Set Default input: to Tuner 0
Hit enter to finish.
Hit esc to exit Capture cards.

Select Video sources.
Select new video source.
Set video source name: to antenna.
Enter your userid and password for labs.zap2it.com.
Select retrieve Lineups.
Select the lineup that you set up for your local broadcast at labs.zap2it.com. For met it is something like "Local BroadcastListings-LocalBroadcast--XXXXXXXXXX"
Set the frequency table to us-bcast since this is an antenna.
Hit enter to finish.
Select new video source
Name your video source something appropriate. For me, comcast cable.
Enter your labs.zap2it.com username and password.
Select retrieve Lineups.
Select the lineup that you set up for your non digital input at labs.zap2it.com. For met it is something like "Comcast-Cable-Cable A--XXXXXXXXXX"
Select the Channel frequency table. For me it is us-cable-hrc. For cable in other areas it may be us-cable. If you are connecting your PVR-150 to an antenna, select us-bcast.
Hit enter to finish.
Hit esc to exit Video sources.

Select input connections.
Select DVB:0 DVBInput
Set Video Source: to antenna from your video source from above.
Select fetch channels from listings source. This will take a while and you will get no feedback other than the screen appears to be hung. The system is now pulling channel information and 2 weeks worth of guide data. When the fetch is complete, "Please add channels to this source" will disappear from the starting channel field.
It will take 15 minutes to come back. Go get a beer, you will be watching TV soon.
When the fetch completes select scan for channels. Hit enter to run a Full Scan. You will see 0 signal strength and 100% signal to noise. I don't think this works on the HD-5000. When the scan is complete you will see channels 2-99, most of which will have no signal. You should see some channels identified at this point.
Hit enter to finish.
Set your starting channel to a channel that you suspect will have a good signal. For instance a channel that you were able to pick up well on your standard TV.
Hit enter to finish
Select /dev/video0 Tuner 0.
Set the video source to comcast cable or whatever you set up earlier.
There is no need to fetch the channels again. This was done during the setup of the other card.
Set your starting channel to a channel that you suspect will have a good signal. 5 or 6 might be a good choice if you were not sure about us-cable vs. us-cable-hrc.
Hit enter to finish.
Hit esc to exit input connections.

You can look at the channel editor if you want, but it is not necessary at this point.

Hit esc to exit myth-setup.

You will see a message about running mythfilldatabase. I don't believe this is required, because it just ran when you fetched the channel line up. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Hit enter to continue.

Enter your zip code to set up mythweather.

The mythfrontend should start you can select watch TV at this point and you should be able to watch TV.
Don't be discouraged if things don't look quite right we still have some tweaking to do.

Get to a shell prompt. You can do this by hitting ctrl-alt-F1 or using ssh to connect. I use ssh because I don't like sitting on the floor typing, while looking up at my tv.
cd /etc/X11
cp XF86Config-4 XF86Config-4.orig
cp XF86Config-4.nvidia-tvout.sample XF86Config-4

If you have blue lines around your video, use your favorite editor, vi, pico whatever to edit mythtvs fluxbox apps file.
cd ~mythtv/.fluxbox/
vi apps

append this line
[startup] {xvattr -a XV_COLORKEY -v 0}
before this line
[startup] {KnoppMyth-run}
and save the file.

Restart X with the following command
/etc/init.d/gdm restart
The blue lines should be gone.

If you have a lower speed processor, or would just like to free up some of your processor to do other things, enable xvmc.
From the main menu select Utilities and Settings.
Setup.
TV Settings.
Playback.
On the first screen, set the Deinterlace playback Algorithm to Bob, and Preferred MPEG2 Decoder to Standard XvMC.
I also like to set the Aspect Override to Fill. But that is specific to those using a standard television, I think.
Another thing I like to set is Automatically Skip Commercials. This only works after mythcommflag has run after a recording.
If you can tell me how to get it to delete them too before transcoding that would be great.

Back at a shell prompt, log in as mythtv.
export DISPLAY=:0
nvidia-settings

Here you will find settings to adjust your picture. When you quit this utility, the settings are saved in mythtvs home directory and applied during X startup.
I adjust my overscan to fit my tv, and lower the flicker filter to 1 and raise the sharpening to 5 to help with the crappy picture I get from my cable.

PVR-150 - HD-5000
Geforce FX 5200

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 10:37 pm 
Quote:
Set the channel frequency table. I set this to us-bcast. I'm not sure what this is for. Input appreciated.

It's a master control. Once you set it you can select "default" frequency sets for the cards and channels encountered further on and it will use the master setting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 11:22 pm 
tjc wrote:
Quote:

It's a master control. Once you set it you can select "default" frequency sets for the cards and channels encountered further on and it will use the master setting.

That's what I thought it was for, but I think I have seen inconsitent behaviour with using default. I always explicitly set it just to be safe.

I should note that after the install listed above, the picture from the PVR-150 does not fit on the screen. The picture is cut off at the top, bottom, and about 1/3 on the right.

It also looks like I'm getting a lot of RF interfierance in the video on the PVR-150 since I installed the HD-5000.

I may just get rid of the analog card, if I am able to get discovery in digital from the cable. That's a job for next week.

mike

PVR-150 - HD-5000
Geforce FX 5200