View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Go to page Previous  1, 2

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:19 pm 
studiodaz wrote:
:?:I also can not get the network to connect to the internet.

After the install, did the window ask some questions about network configuration? (e.g. eth0 vs sit0, DHCP, et c)

Maybe you put the wrong details in? Anyway, you can re-run it by opening an X terminal (Alt-X) and typing su (followed by the administrator password) and then netcardconfig. Select eth0, and DHCP.

Quote:
But how do I open up?

Alt-X for a terminal. nano or pico to edit a file.

Quote:
I am finding it a little :? strange as when I close the TV console and find myself in the Linux Gnome screen.
Their aren’t any hard disks or any of the normal menu.

A lot of that stuff has been taken out to make KnoppMyth smaller, and because it is never used on a TV appliance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 5:50 am 
studiodaz

I Have two kword cards in my sempron 2500 on a gforce chipset and have also used them on a via chipset no problems.

Things to try

Drop out to the gnome screen

Alt + S

Should bring up the Setup console it will bitch a little about myth backend running but ignore this

go to the tuner card setup and select your tunner

on the second page (advanced properties I think) there is an option which refers to using hardware MPEG decoding select this.

exit out of it back to the gnome screen
Alt+ X

type mythfrontend

then reboot from the Knoppmyth menu

Asus P5GS
Samsung 750G Sata HDD
8400 512m Video Card
2 * jetway DVB-t
1 * Haupage DVB-S2 Card
Samsung Sata 16x DVDRW
2048M Ram
1 * Netop Ion 330

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 3:35 am 
thanks to everyone who has given me help on this.

I have tried all the tips that have be given in the topic but I am still getting the same jerky TV.

I can get very smooth play back using windows XP using this computer but as MythTV seems a better program and is easyer to use (apart from this jerky problem) I would love to get this fixed.

thanks again

Daz

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 9:18 am 
studiodaz, an AMD semperon 2800+ is probably not a fast enough CPU to do hidef playback without hardware acceleration of some sort. I noticed that you are using an ATI card, not Nvidia. My understanding is that myth does not support using the mpeg2 hardware assist that is implemented on ATI cards -- only supports it with nvidia. If I am correct about this, then that may be why you are able to get smooth playback with this machine with a windows-based DVR but not myth, as I suspect that the windows applications you are using are taking advantage of the ATI hardware assist on mpeg2 decoding.

I have had success using XVMC, which is the name of the mpeg2 hardware decoding assist that is available on Nvida cards. My card is an evga FX6200 and I am using driver version 8756. Works nicely. If others confirm my assessment, you might want to try an nvida card. Having said this, not everyone has success with XVMC. For example, I also have an FX5200 card that I have never been able to use successfully with XVMC enabled. Meanwhile, i've seen others in the forum use FX5200's successfully and yet other people have problems with FX6200s. I don't know why the differences, but just a heads-up...

Marc

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 10:04 am 
marc.aronson wrote:
studiodaz, an AMD semperon 2800+ is probably not a fast enough CPU to do hidef playback without hardware acceleration of some sort. I noticed that you are using an ATI card, not Nvidia. My understanding is that myth does not support using the mpeg2 hardware assist that is implemented on ATI cards -- only supports it with nvidia. If I am correct about this, then that may be why you are able to get smooth playback with this machine with a windows-based DVR but not myth, as I suspect that the windows applications you are using are taking advantage of the ATI hardware assist on mpeg2 decoding.

I have had success using XVMC, which is the name of the mpeg2 hardware decoding assist that is available on Nvida cards. My card is an evga FX6200 and I am using driver version 8756. Works nicely. If others confirm my assessment, you might want to try an nvida card. Having said this, not everyone has success with XVMC. For example, I also have an FX5200 card that I have never been able to use successfully with XVMC enabled. Meanwhile, i've seen others in the forum use FX5200's successfully and yet other people have problems with FX6200s. I don't know why the differences, but just a heads-up...

Marc

just got myself a FX5500 I will let you know how I get on :wink:

Go to page Previous  1, 2