View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 1:53 pm 
I've been trying to get myth2ipod to encode in 640x480 but can't seem to find the right file to change the settings. I've tweeked the iPod.pm and MP4.pm files to include the 640x480, but it doesn't seem to be doing the trick. Has anyone else tried this with success?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 12:34 pm 
Adding the resolution to myth2ipod and changed the iPod.pm and no luck here either. I'm running R5F27.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 9:11 am 
No luck here either, changing the iPod.pm file does not seem to do anything in terms of the resolution. Now that the iPhone and iPod Touches have higher resolution screens on them getting 640x480 working would be great.

Has any one gotten this to work? Does anyone have an insight on what might be overriding the settings within the iPod.pm script?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 9:23 am 
I finally got it working but I'm not sure which step fixed it.
I used the iPod.pm file from myth2ipod site, modified that and MP4.pm( increased size in both and upped the vid bitreate to 768000).
I also added " --mp4_codec=h264 --width 640 --height 480 " to nuvoptions.

The reason I don't know why it started working was because apprently quicktime was catching some info about the file I kept reconverting...
Didn't notice till I opened it in iTunes and It showed the proper resolution.

It's quite nice to have last nights shows waiting for me on my iPhone when I pick it off the dock in the morning.

I am also using my iPhone as a myth remote using this.
http://www.legatissimo.info/node/355

Works much better then the imon pad remote of my silverstone lc20m.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 11:18 pm 
update on my settings...
I think this is working correctly but I have to wait till this next batch of jobs to make sure. test jobs look great so I think I'm good to go.
my wifes myth2ipod script now includes this on nuvoptions "--v_bitrate 386 --width 320 --height 240"
my myth2ipod script for my iPhone has these set "--mp4_codec=h264 --width 640 --height 480 --v_bitrate 768"
Her 5th gen iPod doesn't need the the better settings...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 7:54 am 
meanderis --

Thanks for the updates. With your settings are you just modifying the myth2ipod script? Do you currently have any changes in either iPod.pm or MP4.pm?

I also have it working here but I'm trying to narrow down what changes I made are actually required. Currently I have changes in MP4.pm and the myth2ipod script itself.

I'll keep this thread updated when I find out more.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 11:20 am 
wurm wrote:
meanderis --

Thanks for the updates. With your settings are you just modifying the myth2ipod script? Do you currently have any changes in either iPod.pm or MP4.pm?

I also have it working here but I'm trying to narrow down what changes I made are actually required. Currently I have changes in MP4.pm and the myth2ipod script itself.

I updated MP4.pm and iPod.pm but I think you might only need those myth2ipod changes. If someone is doing this from scratch can you confirm you only need to modify the myth2ipod config ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:17 pm 
meanderis wrote:
wurm wrote:
meanderis --

I updated MP4.pm and iPod.pm but I think you might only need those myth2ipod changes. If someone is doing this from scratch can you confirm you only need to modify the myth2ipod config ?

I just tested this from scratch, and only needed to modify the myth2ipod file to change the settings.

I also did some comparison tests of a 1 minute baseball highlight clip at different resoultions/codecs and here is what I found.

Note: I'm using the iPhone which is 480x320 native.
1: 320x240, mpeg4, 3.3 megs, ~42fps
Does not look good at all, but is fast and small
2: 640x480, mpeg4, 6.1 megs, ~20fps
Doesn't look much better than #1, and is twice as big/slow
3: 320x240, h264, 5.9 megs, ~17fps
Looks great, very big difference between mpeg4 and h264
4: 480x320, h264, 6.3 megs, ~14fps
Looks a little better than #3, but shows some weird interlacing during heavy movement.
5: 640x480, h264, 12 megs, ~8fps
Looks great!

My conclusion is while #6 (640x480 h264) looks the best, it doesn't look that much better than #3 or #4 to make it worth the size/time difference.

So I am going with #3, as it's a bit faster/smaller, the interlacing from #4 was a bit distracting, and the quality difference was quite small anyways.

My final nuvoptions line in myth2ipod looks like:
my $nuvoptions ="--mode=iPod --nice=19 --cutlist --nodenoise --nodeinterlace --nomultipass --mp4_codec=h264 --width 320 --height 240 --v_bitrate 768";

Regards,
David

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 9:36 pm 
David, your post was very informative. I copied your settings and it looks great, but I have a problem on playback. I get about a 1" area of green noise that appears to be a doubled picture of what's playing. It looks fine on the computer, looks fine in the preview window. This noise also seems to squeeze the picture out of proper proportions (everyone's a little too skinny). I've used an HD recording and a SD recording (that might be from an HD channel). With the old, 'stock' settings, the picture looks real blocky but I didn't see the noise even on an HD recording.

If anyone has any suggestions, else I will have to do some more tests.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 10:43 pm 
Hmmmm... that's pretty strange, I'm just recording from standard cable, so can't say if the recording being HD has anything to do with it.

What version of the myth2ipod script are you running? I ran the auto-install script on R5F27 from: http://www.myth2ipod.com/myth2ipod.html and everything worked great except for an MP4Box error, which I got around be removing some code.

See: http://mysettopbox.tv/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=16996

Are you trying to play the video on an iPhone or iPod? The stuff I removed was a change made to support the 5g iPod.

Code:
http://myth2ipod.com/ChangeLog/ChangeLog.html

1.0 b2
Sunday, March 5, 2006
Compatible with 5G Video iPod 1.1 firmware. This requires an additional dependency on MP4Box, for post processing, and a patch to the nuvexport iPod plugin, but in the end, the files play perfectly.
read more...

Good luck!
David

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:26 am 
morgewan wrote:
Hmmmm... that's pretty strange, I'm just recording from standard cable, so can't say if the recording being HD has anything to do with it.

What version of the myth2ipod script are you running? I ran the auto-install script on R5F27 from: http://www.myth2ipod.com/myth2ipod.html and everything worked great except for an MP4Box error, which I got around be removing some code.

See: http://mysettopbox.tv/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=16996

Are you trying to play the video on an iPhone or iPod? The stuff I removed was a change made to support the 5g iPod.

Code:
http://myth2ipod.com/ChangeLog/ChangeLog.html

1.0 b2
Sunday, March 5, 2006
Compatible with 5G Video iPod 1.1 firmware. This requires an additional dependency on MP4Box, for post processing, and a patch to the nuvexport iPod plugin, but in the end, the files play perfectly.
read more...

Good luck!
David

I'm running the myth2ipod script that came with R5F27 with the change (cut/paste) you posted above. I am using an iPhone with FW 1.0.2, which I've 'modded' a bit for third party apps. I ran a couple 1 min tests on an SD and HD recording, but haven't tested yet. These tests I've changed to 640x480 as I went to the apple site and the specs currently only state 640x480 where I remember seeing other formats before. (I wonder if a FW change has been made to allow the component out use?)

I will report back my findings. Also I haven't had trouble with the MP4Box and did see your thread on the subject. The creation of the mp4 goes without a hitch.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 10:25 am 
Too Many Secrets wrote:
I'm running the myth2ipod script that came with R5F27 with the change (cut/paste) you posted above. I am using an iPhone with FW 1.0.2, which I've 'modded' a bit for third party apps. I ran a couple 1 min tests on an SD and HD recording, but haven't tested yet. These tests I've changed to 640x480 as I went to the apple site and the specs currently only state 640x480 where I remember seeing other formats before. (I wonder if a FW change has been made to allow the component out use?)

I will report back my findings. Also I haven't had trouble with the MP4Box and did see your thread on the subject. The creation of the mp4 goes without a hitch.

Strange. I'm running my iPhone with the 1.1.1 firmware, so perhaps that has something to do with it...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:54 pm 
OK problem is with HD recordings. However the stock settings worked with HD, but were blocky. I'll try some more settings.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:33 pm 
I 'm trying to get HD files converted for use in iTunes to output to an Apple TV. I'd rather not drop the files size down to 640X480 or less using myth2iPod. Has any had any success with higher res? Or should I be looking into another transcode?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:28 am 
jorin wrote:
I 'm trying to get HD files converted for use in iTunes to output to an Apple TV. I'd rather not drop the files size down to 640X480 or less using myth2iPod. Has any had any success with higher res? Or should I be looking into another transcode?

There is a lot of work trying to get myth to run on an AppleTV. Might check this threadin the archive for progress. The ATV can output HD and is a great silent FE, if all the 'bugs' can be worked out.

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next