View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 5:35 pm 
When I try to rip a letterboxed DVD, the only options I can use are ISO and perfect quality, why is that?

I did see brief mention in the myth docs that this is so, but I was just wondering why? Most of my DVDs are widescreen (not sure about letterboxed) so this is could be pretty disappointing for creating a compressed working copy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 10:18 pm 
I have been wondering this myself. I have a widescreen TV and I'd like to rip some of my DVD collection (kids movies, comedies, non-action movies) to a more disk-space friendly format however many of those disks are widescreen only or have a widescreen version and I hate the thought of settling for anything less, even on Veggie Tales.

It seems like there should be an option somewhere to choose the transcode output aspect ratio. Anyone have any ideas on this one? I don't a bit of searching but didn't get anywhere.

Martian

Vizio 37" LCD HDTV (1080p)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 9:29 am 
+1. I haven't found a workaround within Myth. I've been relegated to converting widescreen titles on Windows. It's very sad.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 11:17 am 
I just bumped up against this and there doesn't appear to be a solution.

Here is how I got an avi copy. (Documented here so I don't ever have to reinvent the wheel).

1. Import the DVD with Perfect copy. This will create a file ----> /myth/video/xxxx.vob

2. From the command line, ----> transcode -i /myth/video/xxxx.vob -g 720x480 -M 2 -V -y xvid -o /myth/video/xxxx.avi --print_status 20 --color 0 -R 2,twopass.log

The resulting xxxx.avi file is roughly one third the size of the xxxx.vob.