View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 1:51 pm 
I have a server (Ubuntu edgy) with a bunch of DVD iso's on it. It has a gigabit NIC and is connected to the same switch (gigabit) that my myth box (gigabit NIC) is connected to. I mounted the share on my Knoppmyth box, but usually around 3 quarters of the way through a movie it craps out saying
libdvdread: cannot read block XXXXXX (what ever it is).

I have tried this in all the players on the Knoppmyth box (vlc,mplayer,xine, and myth builtin) same problem on all of them.

Now when I copy this iso directly to the Myth hdd it works fine, only when it is playing over samba is there a problem. I can also mount this share on a windows box and the movie plays find in VLC. Just for kicks I ran hdparm and both HDD's (myth, and server) are DMA with 40-50mb transfer rates.

Has anybody else experienced this? Are there some type of buffer settings that I can play with? I know its on a Gigabit network, but could there be network issues that are causing this? Could I run sometype of diagnostic utility like hdparm to determine this? I realize I could run NFS but I would rather use SAMBA for windows compatibiilty.

Any help would be appreciated,

Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 1:53 am 
I found this post without a solution, and wanted to reply so if others like me find this, there will be an answer. Not so hot when you search and find your exact problem but with no answer... :cry:

I ran into this exact problem this evening after setting up a windows share to serve my video content. You can imagine the noise from the wife and kids when it pukes.

After much searching, the solution is really simple... In my /etc/fstab, I used 'smbfs', that won't work. Change it to 'cifs' and all is well.

Jim

Hauppauge PVR150
Iguana Works serial IR transceiver