View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:23 am 
[quote="tombongo"]Is it safe to say that this effort is put on hold until .21 has been integrated into KM?[/quote]

Maybe not, I can certainly check into the issues with the current release. That is try to install and see what happens. Fixes to that are most likely applicable to the future .21 KM release.

I can get all the sub-systems in place and working. I just can't test mythtv functions as my real backend is a 0.21 release. I'd have to crank up a temp backend for testing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:28 am 
I actually don't own an ATV yet, but will be purchasing one real soon for this duty alone.

Since I have not switched from my Comcast DVRs to a MythTV setup yet, I can use my box as a KM R5F27 (.20) backend to help test. I can also help document this all when we are done in these forums or the KM wiki for others to benefit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:46 am 
KM R5F27 seems to be the last release. I'll give an install a try this weekend and see what I run into.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:24 am 
Just reviewing the install instructions.

In the manual install branch, it mentions if KM R5F27 recognizes the partition table, I still have to partition them. If this still true or can I shortcut this step by setting up a pre-partitioned disk.

If not, the instructions mention running cfdisk for partitioning and then formating. These look like manual command-line steps. Can I instead, wget what I need to create proper GPT partitions instead.

Which also brings up an important question, which kernel is KM R5F27 running and does it have CONFIG_EFI_PARTITION enabled?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 3:40 pm 
davilla wrote:
Just reviewing the install instructions.

In the manual install branch, it mentions if KM R5F27 recognizes the partition table, I still have to partition them. If this still true or can I shortcut this step by setting up a pre-partitioned disk.

If not, the instructions mention running cfdisk for partitioning and then formating. These look like manual command-line steps. Can I instead, wget what I need to create proper GPT partitions instead.

Which also brings up an important question, which kernel is KM R5F27 running and does it have CONFIG_EFI_PARTITION enabled?

When I putty into my F27 box I get this.
Quote:
Welcome to KnoppMyth (Kernel 2.6.18-chw-13)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:16 pm 
This looks promising. Just finished an Automatic install of KM R5F27 to an internal ATA drive. Console framebuffer worked fine with vga=normal.

Using a modified atv-bootloader procedure that does not require a GPT format for Linux. More details later as I refine it. My parsing of isolinux.cfg is failing so I have to boot the cdrom manually.

I should note that this is the first ever boot of Linux from a cdrom using the AppleTV. Never been sucessfully done previously. Hurraa.

grub and menu.lst is missing from the KM install. I thought KM used grub? So boot failed. I can manually boot it but I have to find standard command-line params.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:56 pm 
And we are up. LILO instead of GRUB but that's ok. I need to finish my boot-parser anyway to include LILO. But I know how to manually boot the kernel.

Scanning channels on my HDHomeRun, I'll have TV in a few moments.

HDTV says it's a 1080p source. Xorg says 1024 x 768. someoen not letting the truth.

If someone could do a "cat /proc/cmdline" on a KM R5F27 install and give me the results.

5 mins to BattleStar G. More after that's over.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:46 pm 
davilla wrote:
And we are up. LILO instead of GRUB but that's ok. I need to finish my boot-parser anyway to include LILO. But I know how to manually boot the kernel.

Scanning channels on my HDHomeRun, I'll have TV in a few moments.

HDTV says it's a 1080p source. Xorg says 1024 x 768. someoen not letting the truth.

If someone could do a "cat /proc/cmdline" on a KM R5F27 install and give me the results.

5 mins to BattleStar G. More after that's over.

Code:
auto BOOT_IMAGE=Linux ro root=801 splash=silent nomce apm=power-off quiet

Nice work. Following this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:08 pm 
Wow! Very, very cool! This is all greatly appreciated.

Last edited by tombongo on Thu May 01, 2008 6:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:55 pm 
[code]auto BOOT_IMAGE=Linux ro root=801 splash=silent nomce apm=power-off quiet[/code]

Can you post your lilo.conf to a pastebin site. I'd like to see how it's creating this kernel command-line.

It looks nothing like what would be created from default install, there's an append and an image line in lilo.conf
[code]
append="ramdisk_size=100000 init=/etc/init lang=us vga=normal initrd=minirt.gz nomce"

image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.18-chw-13
label=Linux
initrd=/boot/initrd.gz
read-only
[/code]

normally LILO loads the kernel from "image=" and the initrd from "initrd=", read-only is "ro" and append is the rest of the kernel command-line. This append looks like what was passed during cdrom boot. Humm.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:09 pm 
Can't seem to get quoting and code blocks to work correctly in this forum.

Three things need to be fixed beside refining the install/boot.

1) The nvidia driver need to be updated to 169.xx series. The gpu needs to be underclocked or risk hang/corruption during 1080i mpeg2 decode. I've never run this old of nvidia driver on the AppleTV and even though it does know how to handle the 7300 chipset, only the 169.xx series will allow underclocking a mobile chipset. I've found a guide for updating to 169.09 (http://mysettopbox.tv/phpBB2/viewtopic. ... nvidia+169) so I should be able to follow that to jump to 169.12.

2) need a simple patch to usbhid and lirc update to handle the Apple IR controller

3) need a simple patch to the realtek code of snd_hda_intel.

Both 2) and 3) are dirt simple patches that add device ID recognition but they are kernel modules. In Ubuntu/Mythbuntu I would apt-get the kernel sources, add in the config from boot, do my patches, rebuild the kernel. then rebuild any initrd. That the same procedure with KM? Pointer to a kernel rebuild quide?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:13 pm 
davilla wrote:
Code:
auto BOOT_IMAGE=Linux ro root=801 splash=silent nomce apm=power-off quiet

Can you post your lilo.conf to a pastebin site. I'd like to see how it's creating this kernel command-line.

It looks nothing like what would be created from default install, there's an append and an image line in lilo.conf
Code:
append="ramdisk_size=100000 init=/etc/init lang=us vga=normal initrd=minirt.gz nomce"

image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.18-chw-13
        label=Linux
        initrd=/boot/initrd.gz
        read-only

normally LILO loads the kernel from "image=" and the initrd from "initrd=", read-only is "ro" and append is the rest of the kernel command-line. This append looks like what was passed during cdrom boot. Humm.

Have a look...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:25 pm 
Great, thanks.

Your append line makes sense. Mine seems to have most of the initial cdrom install command-line.

Do you remember how you installed. Since you are running SATA, must have done the manual maybe?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:27 pm 
davilla wrote:
Great, thanks.

Your append line makes sense. Mine seems to have most of the initial cdrom install command-line.

Do you remember how you installed. Since you are running SATA, must have done the manual maybe?

This was an auto install (upgrade I believe). SATA installs just fine now with the auto, but I think the pamphlet still says otherwise.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:41 pm 
Ok, I'll blow mine away and do the install again tomorrow. Need to fix the isolinux parsing and add LILO config parsing. This time, I'll pay more attention to the isolinux part to see why my append looks funny.

I think before I do that, I'll do the nvidia update and try to document that procedure. That way if it hoses anything I don't loose much as I'm blowing it away anyway.

This is pretty neat. I did not expect to get KM booted much less actually pulling content from a HDHomerun in such a short amount of time. A few more days and this will be in the bag and fully documented at http://code.google.com/p/atv-bootloader/

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next