View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:37 am 
Update:

GoogleCode is messing with the wiki and has them locked for "maintenance". This been three days, that's a lot of "maintenance" going on;) Exploring an alternative method to update the wiki pages.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 7:06 am 
This thread has been quiet for a little over a week now. From what I understand, only the atv-bootloader wiki needed to be updated. Is that still the case or are there problems still to be resolved?

I got my ATV yesterday and am now able to help with resolving any remaining problems as much as my expertise allows!

Also, davilla, were you able to test any of this on a R5.5 test build? Based on the IRC party tomorrow, it sounds like R5.5 may be days away!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 7:41 am 
tombongo wrote:
This thread has been quiet for a little over a week now. From what I understand, only the atv-bootloader wiki needed to be updated. Is that still the case or are there problems still to be resolved?

I got my ATV yesterday and am now able to help with resolving any remaining problems as much as my expertise allows!

Also, davilla, were you able to test any of this on a R5.5 test build? Based on the IRC party tomorrow, it sounds like R5.5 may be days away!

Yes and depending on how you want to install a slight fix up to be able to install onto GPT formatted disks. You can contact me directly if you want to jump into it. I would wait for R5.5. Life will be much easier.

And the first rule about R5.5 is don't talk about R5.5 ;) However, AppleTV users will be pleased.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 10:52 pm 
Update:

Running a non KnoppMyth distro on a 8GB USB flash drive. I might have to alter my previous statement about running everything on a flash drive. It's actually not very different from running on the internal disk. Interesting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 11:23 pm 
davilla wrote:
Update:

Running a non KnoppMyth distro on a 8GB USB flash drive. I might have to alter my previous statement about running everything on a flash drive. It's actually not very different from running on the internal disk. Interesting.

Most interesting... Watching, and thanks for your hard work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 5:46 am 
Second to diskless booting, this was my preferred method. What type of differences are you noticing? Boot time? Performance? Setup?

Thanks for everything!!! I am all fired up again!!!

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 7:07 am 
Hi everybody,

Seriously, i'm really excited about your work Davilla and with the release of the R55 i think it will be a really good HD frontend.

I'm sure Knoppmyth on the Appletv will not be Tier 1 and will need some linux skill but i hope it will be pretty easy for a basic or newbie linux skill person (like me).

What about a dual boot?

Keep up your good work
Bob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 9:33 am 
tombongo wrote:
Second to diskless booting, this was my preferred method. What type of differences are you noticing? Boot time? Performance? Setup?

Thanks for everything!!! I am all fired up again!!!

Boot time is not bad, mythfrontend crank up is a little slow, changing themes is slow as all the theme pages get regenerated. Once it's up switching between pages is as fast a on a PATA. Generally anything that hits the disk hard will be a little slower.

I am running a swap on the USB flash right now. When idle or watching video, I see an disk access about every 30 seconds. So disk I/O to flash is pretty minimal.

I did not expect it to work so well. As a matter of fact, now this is an easy way to keep my running-mythfrontend intact while being able to trash the internal disk testing installs and doing dev work. Nice.

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 9:51 am 
Bob wrote:
I'm sure Knoppmyth on the Appletv will not be Tier 1 and will need some linux skill but i hope it will be pretty easy for a basic or newbie linux skill person (like me).

What about a dual boot?

Keep up your good work
Bob

Some Linux work will be required to get KnoppMyth in place but the nice thing is it's the same for everyone as the hardware is the same. So once the linux setup is defined (95 percent there), it will be a follow the instructions setup. Once KnoppMyth is in place and booting, then everything else is pretty standard.

Not sure about a dual boot that coexists with the AppleTV OS on the internal disk. The AppleTV wants it's partition ordering. KoppMyth might also need a specific partition order, it's something I have not played with. yet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 12:07 pm 
What would be the minimum size needed to be bootable with KM installed on the flash drive? You mentioned that you had an 8GB flash drive, but would 1GB or 2GB be enough?

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 12:11 pm 
Site Admin
davilla wrote:
KoppMyth might also need a specific partition order, it's something I have not played with. yet.
While we do partition the drive in a certain manner, it doesn't.

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 12:50 pm 
cecil wrote:
davilla wrote:
KoppMyth might also need a specific partition order, it's something I have not played with. yet.
While we do partition the drive in a certain manner, it doesn't.

So if I wanted, I could have "/' on hda4, "swap" on "hda5" and "/myth" on "hda6"? If so the one could create a dual-boot internal disk.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 1:48 pm 
Quote:
Some Linux work will be required to get KnoppMyth in place but the nice thing is it's the same for everyone as the hardware is the same. So once the linux setup is defined (95 percent there), it will be a follow the instructions setup. Once KnoppMyth is in place and booting, then everything else is pretty standard.

Could an image be made to dump down to the internal drive or thumb drive? Since the hardware is all the same it seems that an image would work well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 2:42 pm 
jorin wrote:
Quote:
Could an image be made to dump down to the internal drive or thumb drive? Since the hardware is all the same it seems that an image would work well.

Using disk images with USB flash drives is problematic. Believe me, most of the time it works. When it does not, it becomes a tech support problem with lots of command line voodoo to fix. In addition GPT format does not lend itself to using "dd". There's a secondary partition table at the end of the disk sectors. Unless the USB flash has the exact same number of sectors (you are luck if it does) as the disk the image was created from, the secondary partition table will not be in the correct place. Also the disk UUIDs are duplicated which is bad.

What can work 100 percent is to partition/format the USB flash drive first, then copy the contents of a disk image into the created partitions. This disk image could have both "/" and "myth". Given something like this, it would take about 5-10 minutes to create a bootable USB flash drive assuming that "boot.efi" has already been extracted from an AppleTV update. A simple bash script could automate it.

Then there's hosting the disk image. I don't have the room in the googlecode space to host such an image.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 2:51 pm 
tombongo wrote:
What would be the minimum size needed to be bootable with KM installed on the flash drive? You mentioned that you had an 8GB flash drive, but would 1GB or 2GB be enough?

The "other" mythfrontend is using 1.4GB so maybe a 2GB flash would be fine. I'll let you know exact numbers in a few hours. This time, KnoppMyth to a 4GB flash.

A quick question, is there a defined method for doing a frontend only install. The wiki docs has a page on taking an existing front/back and stripping the backend.

And I finally broke down and bought a MS MCE remote with IR transmitter/receiver. $30 with two IR bugs. The IR bugs themselves would be $20. It was just too painful with the Apple IR remote and my Harmony 880 will not let me do what I want without hours of fiddling.

Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next