View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 8:04 am 
My recordings have been on the "dark" side and I finally got around to looking at the options to correct this. I tried 2 basic approaches:

1. Adjust brightness of the display with nvida-settings. A gamma setting of 1.450 with a slight increase of contrast (0.036) given a good playback result with my existing recordings. The downside: The GUI appears washed out. Not unusable, but not as nice as with gamma=1.0.

2. Adjust the brightness of the recording by hitting "G" while watching live TV and increase brightness from the default of 50% to 60%. This worked for the PVR-150, but unfortunately neither my Airstar-3000 or kworld-115 allowed me to adjust their recording brightness. In both cases, the brightness defautls to 0% and is not changeable.

Of course, it's a disaster to use both approaches. ie, If I increase playback brightness AND the PVR-150 brightness, the PVR-150 recordings are washed out. For the time being, I've reset the PVR-150 to 50% and left the display gamma at 1.450. Here are my questions:

1. Is there a way to adjust the brightness of the recordings made from the digital tuners?

2. Is there a way to increase the brightness of the video playback without creating a "washed out" GUI?

Thanks!

Marc

Post subject: dark recordings
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 1:05 pm 
marc
Go back to the Nvida-settings and put your X Server Color Corrections back to default. Now adjust the X Server XVideo settings. This adjusts only the video overlay which is what you are looking for.

Information for others
Esc back to the desktop (penguin watching TV)
Right click for menu
>>Apps>>Tools>>nvidia-settings

TVBox

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 1:55 pm 
AFAIK, there's no way to adjust anything about the way a digital recording is recorded. The card just dumps the data onto the HD as it comes. That's why it doesn't require much CPU power. If I were you, I'd use the digital recordings as a reference point, and adjust everything else to accomodate it. i.e. if the analog stuff captured with the 150 is too bright, darken it. Set your system (TV and X) to be optimal for HD/digital playback, and compromise on the analog stuff.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 4:50 pm 
TVbox wrote:
Go back to the Nvida-settings and put your X Server Color Corrections back to default. Now adjust the X Server XVideo settings. This adjusts only the video overlay which is what you are looking for.
This seems like a good idea but I don't see any options for adjusting the brightness, contrast, gamma or anything else under the Xserver Video settings.

thronsoft wrote:
AFAIK, there's no way to adjust anything about the way a digital recording is recorded. The card just dumps the data onto the HD as it comes. That's why it doesn't require much CPU power. If I were you, I'd use the digital recordings as a reference point, and adjust everything else to accomodate it. i.e. if the analog stuff captured with the 150 is too bright, darken it. Set your system (TV and X) to be optimal for HD/digital playback, and compromise on the analog stuff.
Good point -- the digital tuners do just "dump the bits" without any processing. That's why I couldn't adjust the brightness. Your approach makes sense, but it would be nice if I could increase the gamma on the video playback without impacting the GUI.

Marc

Post subject: Video overlay to dark
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 7:23 pm 
What version of Nvidia Driver do you have?
Quote:
This seems like a good idea but I don't see any options for adjusting the brightness, contrast, gamma or anything else under the Xserver Video settings.

I have the same problems as you, video overlay to dark. I never realized they dropped that setting in the new drivers. I checked my newer machine. Nvidia 169.07 installed with a 7050 chipset and there is no adjustment on the video overlay ether.

I have Nvidia 1.0-9755 installed with a FX 5200 and I have sliders for.
Saturation
Contrast
Brightness
Hue

At this point I have no solutions ether.
TVBox

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 7:49 pm 
I am using nvidia driver version 9755. I did some research and the thread at http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=103573 suggests that the composite extension must be disabled to get these controls back. So I added the following in my xorg.conf
Code:
Section "Extensions"
  Option "Composite" "Disable"
EndSection

Unfortunately, the controls still aren't available in nvidia-config and I see the following lines in the xorg log file:
Code:
(**) Extension "Composite" is disabled
(II) Initializing built-in extension COMPOSITE

So it looks like I haven't successfully disable composite. Thoughts anyone?

Marc

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:31 am 
I was having a similar problem, but my problem also extended to shows that I'd burned to DVDs and watched on other systems. So I thought the actual recordings were too dark.

The solution I eventually found was to adjust the recording settings for every channel (specifically brightness and contrast) which can be found at http://yourservername/mythweb/settings/channels.

I think there is also a place to find them in the regular frontend but I don't know it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:14 pm 
Hitting G while watching TV will let you adjust the input settings globally. Repeat to cycle through the available controls, left and right arrows to make adjustments.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:25 pm 
I don't think that the input settings have an impact on the digital tuners...

Marc