View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:38 pm 
Hi,

Has anyone tied an Emachines with an AMD Athalon xp 1600+ Processor & 750 Megs of ram as a front/back end system for standard definition TV?

I want to be able to store all of my MP3, photo's and use it as a pvr. Storage capacity is not an issue as I would be willing to purchase an other hard drive if nessasry (it already has a 40 gig and a 250 gig intalled. It also has a dvd drive and a dvd burner)

This is the compter that my family currently uses. I want to upgrade the family computer and put this one to use as a HTPC. I would like to know if it will work prior to investing in a new computer.

Thanks for any and all information. :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:53 am 
Should work fine for SD. If you want more horsepower, you can probably replace the CPU with something faster.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 7:51 pm 
Hi,

i have used an older model with excelent results, even the audio mixer worked (as in two seperate audio sources at same time) If I recall correctly, it was a ~1.2 ghz box.

On the other side of the coin,my son has a emachine about the same as yours and all workred well EXCEPT the audio. it would hang on notes or words (in a loop) or skip sections of songs. Ended up installing a ~$20 pci audio card disabling the onboard audio.

Your mileage of course will vary also. Best to hang an extra drive on it and do an install to try it.

My older machine gave up the mother board, capacitors or I would still beusing it.

Mike